Page 1 of 2
Hey

What guitar is better, Telecaster or Stratocaster? Just wondering because I want to buy a cheap copy of one of these and upgrade it. Just wondering which one you think is better.

Thanks
jihedley
One is not better than the other. they are two totally different guitars. what genres will you be playing with this guitar? then we can tell you which will be better for those genres
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
lol... teles are made for people who plays like... country, you can tell just by looking at the guitar.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
STRAT!!

Only damn indie guitarists use Teles, and they are a country guitar...

A COUNTRY GUITAR!
Cam Sampbell's my hero
strat every time.
gear.

Schecter Loomis sig.
Engl fireball.
the highest.

CANNABIZZLE

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high.
Quote by Hultan
lol... teles are made for people who plays like... country, you can tell just by looking at the guitar.

ummmm yea John 5 totally plays country
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Strats are more versitile, but I find the tone is too bland. I find the tele has a great unique tone, and you'd stick out more with a tele.

BTW. Hultan, your previous statement is the most ignorant I've heard this week. Telecasters in no way look like country guitars, and many Punk, metal, rock, ska, and jazz guitarists use telecasters.
Every single person has strat! be creative man! I think strats are ok but kinda bland. Go with the tele.
Quote by k00kie M0nster
Every single person has strat! be creative man! I think strats are ok but kinda bland. Go with the tele.

Strats and SGs, I friggin swear man...
Quote by doctor woot
Strats and SGs, I friggin swear man...

les pauls too,

i mean, i try to ignore the "everyone has one" factor, i find the guitar that does exactly what i want, right now thats either a strat or a tele, and then i try to find a unique version of that model, but if i cant, then screw everyone else! im getting that guitar!!!
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by bored_maniac33
les pauls too,

i mean, i try to ignore the "everyone has one" factor, i find the guitar that does exactly what i want, right now thats either a strat or a tele, and then i try to find a unique version of that model, but if i cant, then screw everyone else! im getting that guitar!!!

That's why I have an Ibanez RG right now, at guitar center I wouldn't even look at the epi SGs or the Squier Strats. If you saw my high school's battle of the bands, every generic rock band has a lead guitarist with an SG (they're all epiphone, you can tell) and all of my friends have Squier Strats (except for those lucky few who get to have starcasters) But I guess if it's a guitar that suits me, why not.

Anyways, I really like both Strats and Teles, but I think I'd go with a Telecaster on this one (or a strat depending on what I'm looking for)
Strats and teles are both amazing. I love both, but if you're going to upgrade and mess about with it, then i'd say a strat. But if you want to get that classic tele tone, then go for it.
Quote by sargasm
I like to draw pictures of penises everywhere.

It makes me feel like a big man.

Proud owner of a fender deluxe player's strat - honey blonde/maple neck Here it is

Member of the Stratocaster Lovers Group
Quote by RentACar
Strats are more versitile, but I find the tone is too bland. I find the tele has a great unique tone, and you'd stick out more with a tele.

BTW. Hultan, your previous statement is the most ignorant I've heard this week. Telecasters in no way look like country guitars, and many Punk, metal, rock, ska, and jazz guitarists use telecasters.

Yes they look like country guitars, put your glasses on next time you see one. And I don't give a sh*t if punk, metal, rock, ska and jazz guitarist use telecaster, hell, even John Frusciante himself plays telecaster pretty often. It was still made for country.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Quote by Hultan
Yes they look like country guitars, put your glasses on next time you see one. And I don't give a sh*t if punk, metal, rock, ska and jazz guitarist use telecaster, hell, even John Frusciante himself plays telecaster pretty often. It was still made for country.

Have you ever heard any of Les Pauls music. If so then using your logic no rock guitarist in the world would want one of those either.

I have used my Tele to play everything from beatles to Metallica.

The thread starter metioned that he wanted to get a cheap copy to mess around with. If he goes for the Strat the first thing he is going to have to do is either (A) block the tremolo bridge or (B) replace it with a good one so right off the bat the Strat is down by a point...
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
Teles. You've gotta love that jangly Tele tone.
Happy, lost and still unaware.
Quote by Alicee
I gave my brother a hand job. It was weird at first. It was weirder after.

Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe & Epiphone ES-335 "Dot"
Laney VC15 + Ibanez TS808

I Don't Play Metal.
Well going by me, I'd prefer to wait for a real fender strat (doing so now) then get the cheaper tele as I prefer strats on a whole but still love that tele tone, and the real "strat" tone is harder to find in cheaper guitars I find. But with teles, the tele pickups sort of automatically give the tone. All sorts of guitars have single coils but tele pickups are made differently. So go tele really, unless you're dishing out for a fender over MIM (not that MIM strats arent bad, just that if you go strat, GO ALL OUT!)
Jimmy Page originally played a telecaster...they're not just country guitars.

I personally like the Strat better, but one time I went to my local GC and they had a very nice used Tele with Seymour Duncans for only $279.
If we're talking about each with relatively common components (no fancy pups or anything like a HB in there) then a good rule of thumb is probably Tele for a little more bite and jangle, Strat for a slightly smoother scooped tone. I tend to think Strats sound a little hollow (not a bad thing). Strats also tend to excel with neck tones while Teles tend to be known for their bridge tones. They're two different animals.
They're both awesome guitars how about you answer the question on what music you play? That way it will ease some of our feelings of you just wanting to see a flame fest?
Fender Standard Telecaster
Peavey Envoy 110
Boss DS-1 EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone Behringer DD400 Digital Delay
Digitech Bad Monkey
Sorry for the slow reply guys. Been busy with GCSE's. Anyways i play mostly green day, eric clpaton. Rock in other words.

Thanks
jihedley
Strats and Teles are not completely different. Whoever said that is an idiot. And they aren't "country guitars." The person who said that should spend some good theraputic time with a ball peen hammer. It's really just a matter of personal preference. I own an American Strat that I've had for the last 6-7 years that I absolutely love, but it took a long time and a lot of investment in pickups to get a sound out of it I really liked. I sat down the other day with a '52 Tele Reissue and damn near cried that I couldn't take it home right then. Teles have a lot of character and a bit more bite to them. I also like the middle position - neck & bridge pickup combined. Gives you a nice fat sound with a little snap. Also, swamp ash body Teles are pure bliss. On the other hand, strats give you a lot of versatility, especially if you like cleans or a slightly overdriven tone. Strats also have the most aftermarket options of any guitar, so if you don't like anything about it, you can find something to replace it with.

Also, Teles tend to have a bit less of the "Single coil buzz" problem than Strats since more of the cover components are metal rather than plastic.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Nov 17, 2007,
Quote by Hultan

Spoken like a true... idiot.
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.

Quote by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Xbox Live GT: VRSlashGnR
rofl^^^

t e l e !
*ESP Viper 400 (Olympic White)
*Marshall AVT275
*Boss GT-8
*Burns Red Special Replica (original colours)
*Marshall MG10CD
*Vox 10watt preamp (for creating Brian May replica sounds)
*Fender Squire Strat (red w/ white scratch plate) - My 1st
Quote by bored_maniac33
ummmm yea John 5 totally plays country

He does....
But its not because he plays a tele

Country guitar players dont deserve telecasters.
End of story
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
not buying a guitar because everyone else has the same one is a pretty bull**** reason to not by it!
hey whats wrong with country come on not all rednecks marry their cousins and teles aren't just for coutry sure they can play it better than any guiat other than a banjo but they do play other stuff
Quote by nasstyman
i don't do drugs but i fook like a pronstar and i drink like a fish and smoke like a chimney....
Quote by bored_maniac33
les pauls too,

Yea ignore that bandwagon factor FOR NOW>

sorta like if everyone was straight, it would be the cool thing to be gay.

>_> <_< idk.
MIM HSS strat
Boss Dd6
Buddah Wah
Diamond Memory Lane
Mesa Dual rect.

To Get:
Mesa lonestar [prolly trade my DR for it]
Xotic BB preamp
ISP decimator.
Stephen Designs '59 pups [waiting for them to come]
A new bridge pup.
Try both and when you figure out which YOU like better, go to www.rondomusic.com and they have a lot of cheap copies that are great upgrading.

I bought a strat with P-90s and I changed the pickups, pickguard, and tuners... it's a pretty good guitar now.
TRANSFIXUS SED NON MORTUUS
Page 1 of 2