I've been trying to learn about how the capo interacts with the guitar and I have a question that if someone could answer would really help me out. If i had the capo on the 6th fret and played a open am chord what chord wuold it translate out to with the capo?
it would be a d

a minor + 6 steps = a, b minor, b, c, d minor, D
Guitars:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Epiphone SG w/EMG's

Amps:
Peavey Windsor Head w/ JSX Cab
MicroCube (for the sake of practice at college)

Pedals :
Fulltone Full Drive 2 Mosfet
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Crybaby
its a d#m or ebm
Quote by ratracekid111
And the Tax! Dear God! When I only get one virgin a month, I want the whole freakin' thing! The damn government shouldn't be chopping it in half
+1
Punkrock4all is correct.
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
You know that the open A string is the root note of the chord, and that's moved up 6 frets because of the capo. You also know that the 5th fret of the A string equals a D (which is the next string), and D#/Eb comes after D, so D#m/Ebm it is.
I'm a communist. Really.
Quote by gtdude114
it would be a d

a minor + 6 steps = a, b minor, b, c, d minor, D

I think you're confusing the term minor with that of a flat.

A flat is when a note is reduced by 1 semi-tone.

Am is a chord with A as the root note, and a 3rd and a 5th where the 3rd is flat. (as opposed to a major where it's just the root, the 3rd and the 5th).

So as pointed out above, Am is an A root, plus 6 semi-tones (A#,B,C,C#,D,D#), resulting in a final chord of D#m or Ebm.
2002 Muddy Waters Fender Telecaser (MIM) (w/ Bill Lawrence pickups & black matte pickguard)
2006 Ibanez sz520qm (w/ Grover tuners)
Epiphone DR-100

Traynor YCV50-Blue
Toneport GX / Ampltube 2
Quote by krims0n

Am is a chord with A as the root note, and a 3rd and a 5th where the 3rd is flat. (as opposed to a major where it's just the root, the 3rd and the 5th).

So as pointed out above, Am is an A root, plus 6 semi-tones (A#,B,C,C#,D,D#), resulting in a final chord of D#m or Ebm.

lol you beat me too it...

i was like wtf when i read it at first but then was like he means flat
A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music.
Put this in your signature if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music.
Quote by krims0n

Basically, however many frets you move the capo up equals how many semi-tones the chord goes up. So 5 frets with an open EMaj becomes AMaj. Or 2 frets with an over AMaj becomes BMaj.
"We weren’t too ambitious when we started out. We just wanted to be the biggest thing that ever walked the planet."
-- Steven Tyler