I have an Epiphone Les Paul standard and I do like it but I want something for metal now that I've been getting into that. The problem is my limit is probably about $500 USD and I was wondering...should I get a new guitar for metal purposes such as a schecter or ESP(obv the cheaper models) or shud I switch the pups out of the LP and save the money...My amp is a VOX valvetronix advt30 but it is broken so I use a lin6 toneport which should I do and what guitars do u suggest?
Epiphone LP
Johnson Strat Copy(first guitar)
Epiphone Dr 150 Acoustic
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Digitech Jimi Hendrix Experiance pedal
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Digitech RP50
ElectroHarmonix Metal Muff
OK two options here...

1. Get new pickups, I;ve never heard of something like this but mayb you could put a Seymour Duncan Detonator, or Invader. If neither of those suit your taste get a Dimazrio Super Distortion

2.New guitar... I say get a Schecter, but only because I'm biased towards them because their cheaper guitars are way better than ESP's

3. (Didn't I say there were only 2?) Take up up the bass... I'm all for that one and learn some sick slapping and popping and then take up Funk lol.... or you could buy a Schecter bass and join a band as a kick ass bassist, but only when you get good.

B.T.W. You have a great amp get it fixed... quickly. Or the Line 6 will give you tone herpes(stole that from someones sig +1 to whoever that may be)
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
Last edited by PunkRocker33133 at Nov 16, 2007,
You may want to just do the pick ups for now and save some more up to get a better guitar
in the future. If you want to play metal well you need the right equip or it is going to sound like a whole lot of noise. The epiphone lp standard is not a bad guitar so a pick up change may just bring the sound you are looking for and you could put the rest towards a really good amp. I am not familiar with the amp that you have so I can only suggest this.
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
most metal is played in bridge so swap that one for something really metal and leave the neck for when u want a different tone and save rest for a good amp
I love the varied amount of opinions I get on here it makes it so much easier to decide ^_^
Epiphone LP
Epiphone Dr 150 Acoustic
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Digitech RP50
ok...NOT
Epiphone LP
Epiphone Dr 150 Acoustic
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Digitech RP50
Hehe. I was only half kidding, buddy.

Seriously, though, if your LP plays just fine, and your current amp doesn't work...The only smart thing to do would be to buy a new amp.

EDIT: Especially because changing pickups doesn't have as big an influence on your tone as you think - especially if you're just playing through a Tone Port...
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Nov 16, 2007,
thats why i think get a better amp and change only the bridge, i only ever use the neck pup for solos and i prefer a single coil stack for those (humbucker close to sounding like a single coil)

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
hmm so amp seems to be what most of you say
Epiphone LP
Epiphone Dr 150 Acoustic
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Digitech RP50
New amp, then new pick-ups. Epi stock pick-ups leave a bit to be desired.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by forsaknazrael
If you Epi LP plays fine, and you think it's comfy...Buy a new amp. A GOOD one. You should be able to find some nice amps for around 500 bucks.
Maybe a Randall RG50TC, or a used Traynor YCV50 Blue?

+1, the new amp will bring new life to your playing and in the Vox Valvetronix you wouldn't notice much of a difference with new pickups anyways.

both the Randall and Traynor would give you a good versatile amp that can do high gain well. Other ones to look at would be the Peavey Classic or a Laney LC(15 or 30)

if you don't mind sacrificing your cleans, a used Peavey 5150 would be an good amp.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS