I'm only playing a 30 watt Vox Valvetronic at the moment and yeah it's pretty nice but I'd really like to step it up a notch, the sort of tone I'm looking for is ideally the kind of tone that Jason Becker gets but I'm really not much of an authority on amps, playing unplugged 90% of the time

Atm I am primarily playing my 3/4 year old Ibanez JS100, I was going to put new pickups into it as it's a bit weak sounding for my tastes, bit stuck on that too actually

Cheers if anyone can help out
All tube 100 watt ENGL.
Ok maybe you won't be able to afford that but still that would probably be the best option. Or not, I dunno.
what kind of money are you talking? how's your trem holding up?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My trem's actually holding up pretty well the guitar was set up very well when I first got it and it certainly plays well. I'm so used to the wizard neck and the frets on this that to change guitar would take a bit of getting used to, but equally I'm worried that popping in new pick-ups is a waste of my time if the trem is going to disintegrate on this thing
yeah, that's the problem with cheaper ibanez trems.

maybe consider swineshead or irongear, then? i haven't tried irongear but hear good things, and I know swinesheads are nice. both are good value.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
problem is price... even the avenger is the equivalent of $3000 here. Don't get me wrong, they're really nice amps, but you really struggle to justify them when you can get something that sounds as good as the avenger for the equivalent of $1000-$1500 less...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Eh, I didn't know where he was. Honestly, there's a SLO fullstack with python tolex for sale locally near me for $3700 usd....i don't feel like converting that to pounds right now, but I suppose it wouldn't be that much more than you'd have to pay for an avenger...and less than most mesas....I really DO feel bad for you guys... :'-(
yeah, basically. that'd set us back about $8000-$9000 (new, to be fair, but still). the SLO head is over $5000 here (new).

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, basically. that'd set us back about $8000-$9000 (new, to be fair, but still). the SLO head is over $5000 here (new).

what does the ENGL Powerball go for over there? just curious.
Jumping Jax Champion 1965!
Not as cheap as we get Mesa here I'm assuming.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by TheShred201
2 fast 2 vader, Engls are the about same price in the US as they are in Germany, so I figure they would be around there in Britain too. Generally, European amps aren't much more in the US, but US amps are over twice as much in europe.

yeah, basically. we do get better deals on the odd thing (laney, marshall, orange), but by and large it's not very much difference even when we do get the better deal. While in the US, you frequently get things for less than half what we have to pay.

Generally speaking engl and other european-made stuff etc. isn't better value than the american-made stuff because we get killer deals on it- it's better value because we get utterly gipped on the US-made stuff. We're getting the EU-made stuff at a similar price to what you americans pay, but the US-made stuff can be twice as expensive.

Anyway, a powerball generally goes for around £1000, if you get a decent deal (RRP is around £1250, I think). That's around $2000 or so.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ubertron, would i be right in assuming you are stewart millar? (tis glenn) already told you, laney gh50L, you can't afford most of the amps these guys are suggesting.

If you aren't stewart... well i now look like a douche lol
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Dave_Mc
. . . that'd set us back about $8000-$9000 (new, to be fair, but still). the SLO head is over $5000 here (new).
Holy crap! That's INSANE! I absolutley LOVE the sound of the SLO, but Engls are for sure the better buy across the pond. Haven't tried them all, but I've tried quite a few. IMO, it's as follows:

• Soldano SLO
• Engl Fireball
• 5150/6505

I went with a B-stock 6505 that was less then 1/4 the price of a new Soldano SLO.

Quote by Storm_Bringer_
. . . you can't afford most of the amps these guys are suggesting.
If that's the case, I would go with a Peavey ValveKing and the "right" pedal.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Nov 18, 2007,
^ a gh50L would piss on a valveking. £400 + one of those harley benton 212 cabs from thomann for £137.

Valveking is £300 then with a decent overdrive we'll say £50, so £350. I say the extra £180 is well worth it.
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
^^ (storm)

^ yeah, it is. I haven't tried the slo, but the avenger is nice. However, I'm not sure it's £1500 nice (i.e. at least $3000), when you can get cornfords, engl, koch etc. for less...

Definitely a nice amp, just like most things, not at extortionate prices...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
. . . a gh50L would piss on a valveking. £400 + one of those harley benton 212 cabs from thomann for £137.
Never heard a Laney, so I don't know. Plus they're a bit pricey, here in the States. Peaveys are made in the US, and offer pretty good bang for the buck.

Edit: Oh, duh. The TS is in Europe! Yup, probably go for the Laney then.
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

the valveking is made in china, though.

I haven't tried a gh, but based on the other laneys i have tried, i'd suspect it's nicer than a VK.

i'm not sure i'd trust that HB cab though... the framus one is only another £60 or so...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ true, but the HB would look better with it lol. V30's but then.. probably particle board or something
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Dave_Mc
. . . the valveking is made in china, though.
Oh, duh. You're right. My 6505 head was made in the US (I actually didn't even know that until I received it, and it said "Made in USA" all over it!).

^^ yeah.

^ yeah, the more upmarket peaveys are USA-made... starting with the classic series, i think.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I know it's a cliche amp to suggest, but i never really got to test one myself, how would a vc/lc30 handle shred? I'm guessing the lc would for once be the better choice but maybe not. and maybe neither would be a good choice.

I still say the gh50l will get you closest for the lowest price.
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
i'd say you'd need a boost for the vc unless you can really crank the hell out of it (and even then), and you'd probably need a boost for the lc too. As I said, I haven't tried the gh, but i suspect it'd be more suited to shred straight out of the box.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
that's what i suspected but best to get all possibilities down.
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?