Hi guys, is a Rotozip a decent replacement for a Jigsaw?

I'll be making pedalboards and cabinets with this one.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
No, don't use a rotozip. They're in no way precision tools, and the blades tend to break pretty easily and rip up whatever you're cutting. Rotozips work well for sheetrocking, but would be a disaster with any kind of woodwork. The only way I can think of that they might work at all Iwould be if you made some kind of template out of metal, but then that would break more blades and it all just seems like TOO MUCH TROUBLE!

I hope that helped.
So can anyone recommend a decent, budget jigsaw? I had a Benchtop Pro jigsaw, but it feels pretty weak though.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by JablesII
No, don't use a rotozip. They're in no way precision tools, and the blades tend to break pretty easily and rip up whatever you're cutting. Rotozips work well for sheetrocking, but would be a disaster with any kind of woodwork. The only way I can think of that they might work at all Iwould be if you made some kind of template out of metal, but then that would break more blades and it all just seems like TOO MUCH TROUBLE!

I hope that helped.
I strongly disagree. For many tasks, a jigsaw is a better choice. But pay attention here:
Quote by Reincaster
I'll be making pedalboards and cabinets with this one.
TS is talking about building cabinets, I assume speaker cabinets. Neither the jigsaw, nor the rotozip will be appropriate for cutting the panels to length and width. But for making the speaker cutouts, a rotozip with a circle cutting jig is far superior to a jigsaw. With the proper bit, and taking things slowly, a hole that's perfectly round can be achieved. It requires little skill, only patience. This is not true of a hole cut with a jigsaw. Getting a perfectly round hole is difficult. Even with a jig, the thin blade tends to bend and wander a bit.

The tool of choice for that, would be a router with a Jasper Jig. But a cheap rotozip with a jig will do a good enough job.

Jigsaws have their strengths too.
I really don't have an opinion on which jigsaws to recommend. I seldom use one.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Jigsaw, handsdown. I tried using that rotozip thing and it just overheats, takes to long to cut and makes everything smell bad.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
I strongly disagree. For many tasks, a jigsaw is a better choice. But pay attention here: TS is talking about building cabinets, I assume speaker cabinets. Neither the jigsaw, nor the rotozip will be appropriate for cutting the panels to length and width. But for making the speaker cutouts, a rotozip with a circle cutting jig is far superior to a jigsaw. With the proper bit, and taking things slowly, a hole that's perfectly round can be achieved. It requires little skill, only patience. This is not true of a hole cut with a jigsaw. Getting a perfectly round hole is difficult. Even with a jig, the thin blade tends to bend and wander a bit.

The tool of choice for that, would be a router with a Jasper Jig. But a cheap rotozip with a jig will do a good enough job.

Jigsaws have their strengths too.
I really don't have an opinion on which jigsaws to recommend. I seldom use one.

I agree. Jigsaws are even harder to use then scroll saws imo, as the blades (and the saw itself) tends to hope around and be hard to control for cutting circles.

Jigsaw, handsdown. I tried using that rotozip thing and it just overheats, takes to long to cut and makes everything smell bad

Oh brother ANY tool when working with wood is going to get hot as it scorches the wood. Jigsaws are far worse let me tell you, as the blades heats it wobbles around and hops everywhere, and can easily break. Also, when cutting wood it probably will heat up and maybe scorch as your cutting tools blade gets hot. Just keep moving as long as its not starting to smoke.