For my dissertation module at uni, I have chosen to investigate which of the two biggest guitar manufacturers, Fender and Gibson, is preferred and why. To get closer to the answer, I’m asking fellow guitarists about their opinion on the matter, rival brands, model copies, prices, etc by filling in this questionnaire.

Could you please answer....

Preferred music genre(s)?

Favourite artist / band?

Do you play a guitar?

Do you own an electric guitar - and which?

Which model guitar(s) do you own and what attracted you to them?

What model is your perfect guitar? - Why?

How much of an influence does your taste in music have on guitar choice?

Have artists/bands inspired you to choose a certain guitar model? - Who? - Which model?

What, if any, is your view of low budget imitations of Fender and Gibson Guitars?

How much would the following influence you in your choice of guitar? Price, Sound, Manufacturer, Appearance, Celebrity and Endorsement

Would you ever consider purchasing an imitation Fender or Gibson?

Which other guitar manufacturer(s) do you think are in direct competition with Fender and Gibson?

What is the most commonly thought of guitar from EACH company?
(One for Fender and one for Gibson)

Why do you think that the guitar you have chosen above is so well-known?

Thank you very much for your time and help!

Ste
Funk, funk rock, blues, classic rock, psychedelic.

Favourite artist / band?
Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Do you play a guitar?
Yup.

Modded Stagg Flying V and Squier Strat.

My first guitar was a Squier Strat, so I guess it was the price and stuff. The Flying V was given to me by some dude who took up bass.

Fender Classic Player 50s Strat, it's pretty much got everything I look for in a guitar.

A lot.

Have artists/bands inspired you to choose a certain guitar model? - Who? - Which model?
Yeah, especially people like John Frusciante, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Hillel Slovak, and many others for their use of Strats.

What, if any, is your view of low budget imitations of Fender and Gibson Guitars?
They're nowhere near the same quality as Fender and Gibson, apart from the Japanese lawsuit imitations, though they're not low budget.

How much would the following influence you in your choice of guitar? Price, Sound, Manufacturer, Appearance, Celebrity and Endorsement
Price - A fair amount.
Sound - A lot.
Manufacturer - A lot
Appearance - A lot
Celebrity - Not too much
Endorsement - Not at all

Nope, unless it's japanese. Though my Stagg's an imitation of a Gibson, though I was given it.

Which other guitar manufacturer(s) do you think are in direct competition with Fender and Gibson?
Ibanez, G&L, Carvin, Gretsch and Rickenbacker.

Fender - Strat.
Gibson - Les Paul.

They are well-known because almost every famous guitarist has probably used them, and they get seen a lot on TV, and have a lot of cheap imitations made, which attracts the customers to them.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Metal, and blues

Favourite artist / band?
Chiodos

Do you play a guitar?
Yes

Yes a Fender

Jackson Dinky & Fender Telecaster
Jackson looks heavy and sounds heavy, Tele is easy to play and sounds great clean.

Jackson Kelly w/ SD pickups, because it would handle heavy and cleans well.

A decent amount but it is still me playing it.

No, I picked both guitars for me.

I don't mind either.

It would be all of the influence, what else would cause you to buy a guitar.

Yes

Schecter and Ibanez

Strat and Les Paul

Everyone plays one or the other.
Classic Rock, Jazz, Fusion, Funk, Blues

Favourite artist / band?
The Beatles, Zeppelin

Do you play a guitar?
I pick around on an acoustic I own but I mostly play bass

I own no electrics. My bass is a Dean.

I'm mostly attracted to fenders.

Probably the Telecaster, with a nice fat bigsby.

A pretty large influence

Jeff Beck, Keith Richards, Jimmy Page, all played a Tele at some point.

Squiers and Epis arent too bad if you get a nice one, but everything else sucks.

How much would the following influence you in your choice of guitar? Price, Sound, Manufacturer, Appearance, Celebrity and Endorsement.
Although I prefer the sound of Fenders to Gibson, price is also influential in that I can get an amazing American Fender for $1000 where for Gibson I have to pay even more than that just for a Studio or an SG.

Squier, Yes. Epi, only higher end ones. Everything else, probably not.

Ibanez competes a little with fender on the Rg's and such, and with gibson on the Artcore models. Some PRS models are also similar to the Les Paul. Some other brands would be Schecter, Dean, and ESP, although these are generally marketed more towards the metal crowd than Fender/Gibson.

Fender 1. Stratocaster 2. Telecaster
Gibson 1. Les Paul 2. SG

The Strat was made well known by Buddy Holly, Jimi Hendrix, and (post Cream) Eric Clapton. The iconic users of the Les Paul would be Jimmy Page, Neil Young, and Slash. These guitars are so popular because they really are the standard by which all other (solidbody) electrics are based upon.
A T-bird and a Big Muff in your GAS list!? Egad man, are you trying to kill me!?
Fender MIM Jazz Bass
Line6 LD150Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Blues Rock, Hard Rock, Metal

Favourite artist / band?
Eric Clapton/SRV/Hendrix/Iron Maiden

Do you play a guitar?
Yes

Yes, Fender Fat Strat

The comfort, the sound characteristics, and electronic and hardware features

Any American or Japanese model Stratocaster

I would say "a lot" since my favorite artists all use(d) Fender Strats

Iron Maiden, Clapton, and Hendrix inspired me to get a Strat

Some imitations are good, some are bad. You have to be careful

Sound

Yes if it's a reputable brand

Ibanez

Fender- Stratocaster
Gibson- Les Paul

Jimi Hendrix used one, and a lot of 90's-2000's bands use(d) the Stratocaster
Up the Irons
Last edited by King Jesus at Nov 16, 2007,
I really don't know, i play a bit of everything.

Favourite artist / band?

XTC.

Do you play a guitar?
Yes

I should ask you which one you want me to talk about to be honest.

Too many to list, but for the sake of the survey - i have 5 fender designed guitars, 2 of which are actual fenders. as opposed to 2 gibson designs, but they are both epiphones.

Fender Cyclone to be honest. I really like the neck on the jazzmaster, and well, its the same neck spec. I can remember playing "wouldn't it be great with a more conventional switching system, more contoured body and a strat bridge instead of the dynamic vibrato". the cyclone is basically this.

I don't know really. I don't choose a guitar simply because say, John Frusciante plays that guitar. But i rather like fender strats, and Ibanez artists, the 2 main guitars used by XTC, so i guess its influenced me a bit, although i love the strat tone, and the Ibanez is an extremely comfortable guitar.

Not really.

It depends whether you mean Epiphone and Squier. I actually prefer Epiphones to most gibsons, whereas squiers are cheap and cheerful. with a good setup they can rival fenders. they are aimed at beginners but i think they are actually better for guitar modders who are looking for a cheap guitar to mess with, as a lot of beginners dislike the factory setup.

Sound mainly. Manufacturer doesn't make a lot of difference although i do have a bit of a thing for fender as you can no doubt tell by my signature.

Indeed. I have 3 squiers and 2 epiphones.

Nobody really are in direct competition in my opinion. Fender and Gibson are the long standing classic manufacturers who set the standard for electric guitars and most of them are just building upon the foundations these companies laid down. But in direct competition for sales, definitely Ibanez and PRS.

Fender Stratocaster, Gibson Les Paul.

Both are well known for the innovations, and because of the number of imitations, especially the strat.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Classic Rock, Hard Rock

Favourite artist / band?
I can't decide, so either Pink Floyd, Rush, Guns n' Roses, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, or Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Do you play a guitar?

Yes.

Getting a Fender Strat in a month.

Fender Strat, don't own it yet, but I'm attracted to them cause of there unique tone and the standards come pretty cheap too.

Gibson Les Paul

Fender - Cleanish sound
Gibson - Distorted sound

Well, I want to get a LP and Slash inspired me on that, and Angus Young inspired me on wanting to get a Gibson SG.

Most suck.

How much would the following influence you in your choice of guitar? Price, Sound, Manufacturer, Appearance, Celebrity and Endorsement.

Sound, Price, Manufacturer, Appearance, Celebtrity and Endorsement

Nope, but MAYBE an Epiphone of some type

I dunno...

Fender - Stratocaster
Gibson - Les Paul (Gibson SG with a pretty close second)

Many good musicians use Strats like Pink Floyd, and many use Les Pauls like GNR, and many (but not as much as the others) use SGs like Angus Young of AC/DC.
Quote by SloppyJoseph
It doesn't fit my playing style at all so I figured it would be good for me
Last edited by TheReFiller at Nov 16, 2007,
Alternative/Hard-Rock/Prog/Classic Rock/Metal

Favourite artist / band?
Coheed and Cambria

Do you play a guitar?
yes

Ibanez

RG321-Mahogany Body, Thin Neck, 24 frets with good access. Good beginner guitar to mod out at a later date.

Ibanez IC-400 Iceman- Beautiful cosmetics, very comfortable neck, good upper fret access.

not too much of an influence.

Have artists/bands inspired you to choose a certain guitar model? - Who? - Which model? I want a Gibby Explorer with EMG's cause Claudio Sanchez has one.

I don't care too much for Fender guitars other than the Tele, and I wouldn't get any thing other than a real fender. I would get a Agile, Epiphone, or Vintage copy of a Gibson LP or SG.

Price, Appearance, and Sound are big for me, Manufacturer is important on to see if they make quality instrument, I don't care if it's a Jackson, or a Ibanez, or a Fender, or a Gibby, just matters what it looks like, how it plays, and who makes it cheaper.

Yes, not Fenders though, just the Gibby imitations

Ibanez, ESP, Schecter, and Dean I would say are in direct competition.

(One for Fender and one for Gibson) Fender Strat and Gibson LP

The Strat is like the industry standard for low gain applications, The LP is the industry standard for mid to higher gain applications.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Last edited by _KurtCobain_77 at Nov 16, 2007,