Well I've just got my first bass and was wondering how I pick it my friend, said you use all your fingers over the top of the guitar base. I was wondering is it easier to use a plectrum or fingers.
it depends on what sound you want
Quote by Fuzzycows5157
Rhode Island
It is neither a Road, nor an Island. Discuss
well i pluck with fingers but idk what your "supposed" to do, it seems to work just fine with me, if you think it will help picks are an option
Quote by Fuzzycows5157
Rhode Island
actually picks work really well for learning the fingerings on the fretboard, and then i switch to walking, (i f*cked up the other post)
Quote by Fuzzycows5157
Rhode Island
I alternate my index and middle fingers, and use the same finger if I'm going from a thinner to a thicker string.

Or use a pick like a guitar, but I've always been a finger person.
if you're having trouble reaching the top, you're gonna need to tighten the strap, as for the whole fingers v pick situation you have going on, it's mostly a matter of tone. if you want to blend a bunch of sounds together and sound smooth, then fingerstyle's good for you (not to mention you have the option of slapping/popping whenever you want for a more percussive kick) with a pick, you get a different sharper kind of noise that better suits some tunes (like the bassline in starlight)
This is how the world ends.
Either one is good. You'll probably just switch between them based on the tone you want. As for specifics on finger picking, some players like to learn to use 3 fingers and sometimes even 4.
strum... lol you pick it

but yeah fingerpick it... its a lot easier to play fast stuff that way (at least for me)
A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music.
Put this in your signature if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music.
delete
Guitar:
Floyd Rose discovery series 3 (with speed loader bridge)
Gibson Les paul studio
Pedals:
Zoom G2.1U pedal
Amps:
vox valvetronix 50 watt
Dean "stack in a box" headphone amp
Last edited by unforgiven_hope at Sep 7, 2017,
Learn to use both then you can use fingers or pick depending on the sound you want without worrying over your skill....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls