Anyone know of a tool which converts music to chords? Would it be possible?
I don't understand your question.
Care to rephrase and expand?
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
i think he means that if your have a melody is there a program that can figure out what chords should go along with it
it might be. but I don't know of anything like that.
Quote by GuitarGuitar
i think he means that if your have a melody is there a program that can figure out what chords should go along with it

Basically yes... a tool that could take regular sheet music(without chords) and make chords for it...
If you want computer-generated accompaniment to live improv, I think this is a great idea. If you're looking for easy chords because you're too lazy to analyze... not so great.

For live accompaniment, you could certainly write your own stuff using Max/MSP, or someone might have already written a patch.

If you want to learn to write backing chords, I'm sure people here would be happy to help you
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Quote by psychodelia
If you want computer-generated accompaniment to live improv, I think this is a great idea. If you're looking for easy chords because you're too lazy to analyze... not so great.

Actually no I would love to do my own chords but I don't know how... that is why this question is kind of two laned... would it be possible for a tool to do something like this... based on just notes from a song(piano music basically) take and create chords in a specified key(such as G,A,C etc) - Is that possible?

If or if not how would some body go about learning how to convert regular music to chords... are there patterns to look for?
It takes a while to understand how it all works, but if you learn some theory you can write your own chords for it. Then you can depict your own style, mood, etc. If you know what key a song is in, you can use the key to write a chord progression "under" the music already there.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Do you mean a melody (single note line) or "piano music" - polyphonic writing (it's easier - less ambiguous, usually).

Either way, get someone (teachers are great for this) to teach you about harmony and analysis.
There IS a program that does that and we use it at church. I cant think of the name of it. I will ask Sunday and post later if no one else has.
And on a same but different note, it sounds like you could use a little brush up on your music theory. That would help alot. Since I have started working on chord progressions I can follow alot of songs just by ear because I can hear what type of song it is. Example ; Major triad song - 3 chords I IV IV7 progression, listen for the changes and rhythm. It really helps alot.
Hope that helps
Gear;
Ibanez AF75
Takamine EG550
Digitech gnx3
Peavey Classic 50
On a related note there is a program called Band-in-a-box that takes your input (chords) and accompanies you with them. Superb practice tool. Particularly nice is the ease with which you can practice a set of changes in every key at whichever tempo you're comfortable with.

It doesn't sound like what you want but it's great.
What is almost as important as the chord you choose it how you present them.
"If faith is the answer we've already reached it
and if spirits a sign, then it's only a matter of time"
get songs off ears-> use root notes of the song-> put into chords

dada!! self music 2 chord converter!!
I think you want to harmonize a melody? First you have to figure out the scale, so you need to know all the scale notes, then you just stack triads and go through and figure out all the chords that fit. I'll plug my software...

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=713427

... I think some of the chord formula's I entered were wrong, but that's easy to fix, I'm just lazy. Plus it's just scratchwork for a bigger project of mine, but I need to fix it up anyway, and will put it higher on my todo list if you need it. Otherwise...

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/scales-to-chords.php

that works, and has some other tools as well. I suppose it's less buggy then my stuff for now, but in the long run I don't like stuff that confines me to predefined sets, hard to print out, only one scale at a time, etc.