I need a little advice. Christmas is coming, and I am in the market for a good overdrive pedal. Or at least a "softer" distortion stompbox. I have a Boss Metalzone, and it's great, but it is only good for one thing. Metal (duh). I play moslty classic rock, regular rock, hard rock, and some punk.

I've narrowed it down to three stomps. I want your opinion though. Based on what I play, what would you reccomend? The BBE Green Screamer, the Boss Overdrive, or the Digitech Bad Monkey?

I'm also open to any other suggestions. Thanks!
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
What kind of amp do you have? If you have a nice tube amp, or like your amp's tone in general, get a good overdrive, because your amp's tone will shine through more. if you want a distortion pedal though, stick to a Boss DS-1
Quote by Hendrix134
What kind of amp do you have? If you have a nice tube amp, or like your amp's tone in general, get a good overdrive, because your amp's tone will shine through more. if you want a distortion pedal though, stick to a Boss DS-1

+1 on the DS-1 suggestion
Call me Trey.
I have an MG50DFX. I know people trash the MG series, but I have no problem with it whatsoever. And yeah, I like the dist. tone.

Now that this has been brought up, does the BBE mask the amp's tone? I did notice a little difference in the amp's tone with the Digitech at Guitar Center. I didn't get a chance to play the BBE cause they didn't have them the last time I went.
--

--
The amp will make a great deal more difference than any pedal possibly could.

However, assuming you're using a half-decent valve amp - I'd say a Fulltone OCD, Carl Martin Hot Drive 'N' Boost. Crowther Hotcake or Maxon OD808 would be your best bet (amongst loads of others!).

But if you're using a SS amp, an overdrive pedal will be useless - save the cash towards a new amp instead! You won't get a 'softer' overdrive out of a tranny amp, I assure you...
Sorry, I'm a bit of a "type of amp and benefits of a pedal because of the type of amp" n00b. I've played guitar for 8 years, but the Metal Zone was my first pedal, and that was like 5 - 6 months ago.

Yeah, it's a solid state. I'm looking into a valve, though. I'm just trying to get that SRV/just kind of grindy sound for certain types of Zeppelin assorted other bands like them.
--

--
I'd just keep whatever you have now.
Or if your'e totally set on a pedal, get a DS-1 i guess.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Yeah, I suppose. It was either that or a Phase 90.

Phase 90, here I come!
--

--