Page 1 of 2
after a few threads on 'which stack for $1000cdn'' ive realized that for a grand, im better off getting a combo. plus a combo is good enough for gigging and a 40W tube is loud enough for a ****load, not to mention theres pa's at alot of venues.

so no i didnt get a 5150 for heavy metal. i got a line 6 spider valve 112 and i dont care what some say about it. i love it! 400 presets, built in noise gate(yea i know its not the real thing) tuner and sure it sounds typical but im so happy right now. its no mesa, and it sure isnt a super high end amp but its perfect for me and itll help me improve in skill as well as enjoy gigging with my band.

my question is, whats the amp or peice of gear that you bought which totally gave you a warm and fuzzy feeling inside?
My 6505.

Just out of curiosity, did you actually try one out before you bought the Spider?
Dunlop Straps™
The best sounding straps on the market

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows
For a grand you could have gotten a Twin Reverb, or somethign waaaay better then any line 6 product.
Quote by ottoavist

i suppose there's a chance
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
hehe nice that you like it!

My first amp was the Bluesbreaker, hopefully my last too!

Imagine a 2x12 vintage looking little combo chillin' out in the background of the scene isntead of some double Marshall fullstack wall. So ****ing cool with combos!
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Quote by Missingno476
My 6505.

Just out of curiosity, did you actually try one out before you bought the Spider?

never lol. ive heard alot of trash talk about them though. i do know, that they normally have many features. all i know is that this ones supposedly the first tube one thats also designed by bogner.
Quote by Hultan
hehe nice that you like it!

My first amp was the Bluesbreaker, hopefully my last too!

Imagine a 2x12 vintage looking little combo chillin' out in the background of the scene isntead of some double Marshall fullstack wall. So ****ing cool with combos!

i love the portability
hahahaa poor guy... "i dont care what some say about it. i love it!" LOL.
Quote by freshtunes
For a grand you could have gotten a Twin Reverb, or somethign waaaay better then any line 6 product.

uh.... didn't he mention "heavy metal"??? line6 would actually have messy gain that can reach heavy metal compared to Twin Reverb, which has freaking awesome sparkle cleans, but won't go anywhere further than blues, maybe classic overdrive without like 3 dirt boxes used in conjunction. and what'ya know? u killed ur twin's sound using dirt boxes.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
well if your happy thats all that matters. but as said you could of gotten a way better quality L6 or tube amp like.
Quote by False_God
well if your happy thats all that matters. but as said you could of gotten a way better quality L6 or tube amp like.

i still have 30 days to make my final decision anyways. at the moment, im happy.
true. best job is to turn it up and see how it handles that.

And try different guitars.

Straight off tho Im gonna recomend the Flextone III.

Pretty damn good and mile ahead of the spider.
seriously try out the 212 valveking, 100w all tube, 2 12inch speakers, reverb.....for $620 US
My Big Muff Pi is my warm-'n-fuzzy piece of gear. Such a delicious nasty tone, and in such a vibey, poorly-constructed box. I love how the pots crackle like crazy and the jacks have to be re-soldered or re-glued every few months, it's all part of the charm. I don't get much pleasure out of pristine shiney things as much as faulty loveable ones.

Now that I think about it, the output jack is making dying noises again...time to break out the soldering iron!
wow I hope that you dont come here like in 6 months complaning...well anyways I did buy something that makes me feal warm inside, the AC30.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
I think most people here just see the name Spider and start bashing straightaway, which is somewhat sad.
I'ts a tube combo, he likes it, and it has line6 written on it. Get over it.
all the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players
^just play for another 20 days, and then come back.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by JP31
k im a noob with gear. can someone tell me why alot of people dislike this amp? i cant see anything wrong with it

Because the original Spider aren't very good sounding amps, and everybody hates them here because everybody hates them and so on, so most people go on about how bad that one is even whithout havin ever seen it from a distance.
compare it to something like an AC30, then see how you like it...btw how much did you buy it for?
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Quote by fifer
compare it to something like an AC30, then see how you like it...btw how much did you buy it for?

okay. that's nice of you having your lovely AC30 okay? that's the second time in this thread u mentioning the holyness of an AC30.

Quote by fexnah
Because the original Spider aren't very good sounding amps, and everybody hates them here because everybody hates them and so on, so most people go on about how bad that one is even whithout havin ever seen it from a distance.

lol. i've played it right in front of my face. and it sounded like ****. but i still don't talk crap bout'em tho. i never recommend them either.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by fifer

750canadian. its my first tube amp. and to one of the posts above: if i dont like it in 20 days, ill just return it, its not like the end of the world lol
Quote by ECistheBest
okay. that's nice of you having your lovely AC30 okay? that's the second time in this thread u mentioning the holyness of an AC30.

ok then, compare it to a fender blues junior even. or any fender tube amp....and I mentioned it again to show why people dont like them that much, because there are better amps out there.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Quote by ECistheBest

lol. i've played it right in front of my face. and it sounded like ****. but i still don't talk crap bout'em tho. i never recommend them either.

Ok, you've played it, that's your opinion, but loads of people, having at most tried the spider, just say everything line6 ever made is utter crap, and that line6 is the worst brand in the world, and so on. And that's what annoys me.

I'm not defending the Spider Valve though, because I never played it, although I'd like to.
^^hahaha. u cnat say "even" though. Blues Junior is an awesome amp. and with the right upgrades, it's a mini Tweed-Twin.

^nice. i was about to play the valve spider too. but i was with my buddy and he had to go to class. and i don't really like being at guitar center alone. im sure some of you know what i feel.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
hah yeah I was just mentioning a few and it came to mind, then I saw your sig and I saw that you own one. haha, I didnt mean it in offence or anything just meant that even a small amp would probably be better...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
^depends. when u play far away from it, it sounds kinda boxy. i've put in a weber beam blocker to get that better.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
though it's a great amp, the fender blues jr isn't going to get the ts the metal tone he was looking for, so comparing the two wouldn't be so smart.

ts, what's most important is that you like your amp. i owned a spider ii for a while and, when i first bought it, thought it was heaven in a box. after a little while, though, and after having played many other amps extensively, i realized that it really was lacking, comparatively. it's hard to differentiate bad tone from great tone if you haven't tried out other amps, since you don't have much to compare it to. my suggestion? as soon as you can, head out to a guitar store (or several) and plug into various amps: peavey 5150/6505, b-52 at, even expensive amps that you can't afford right now. find the tone that you most like, and see if you can emulate it with your own amp. if not...you know what to do. congrats on the purchase, though. i don't like the spider valve, but new gear is always exciting. good luck!
Quote by climhazzard
though it's a great amp, the fender blues jr isn't going to get the ts the metal tone he was looking for, so comparing the two wouldn't be so smart.

ts, what's most important is that you like your amp. i owned a spider ii for a while and, when i first bought it, thought it was heaven in a box. after a little while, though, and after having played many other amps extensively, i realized that it really was lacking, comparatively. it's hard to differentiate bad tone from great tone if you haven't tried out other amps, since you don't have much to compare it to. my suggestion? as soon as you can, head out to a guitar store (or several) and plug into various amps: peavey 5150/6505, b-52 at, even expensive amps that you can't afford right now. find the tone that you most like, and see if you can emulate it with your own amp. if not...you know what to do. congrats on the purchase, though. i don't like the spider valve, but new gear is always exciting. good luck!

thanks for the great advice, im gonna go ahead and play through some more amps before my 30 day return thing is over.
ya i agree with what's already been stated in this thread: love of L6 spiders is usually a result of not having tried enough amps.
Ahh,the good ol' spider.I know it's **** in SS,but how is it in tube?
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Peavey 5150 > LINE 6 Spider

There are much much better amps out there than the Line 6 Spider (tube or SS version) for 1000 bucks.
Haha, this is great. He had $1000, and got a spider. That salesman deserves a god damn medal.
Schecter C-1 Classic
LTD EC-1000
Fender American FSR Mahog. Chambered Tele 60th
Fender Mexican Strat SD Hot Rails Br/Ne
Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10
Boss DD-6
Boss Metal Zone
Well to start with having heard clips of it (ok not the best quality but still) I found the SV so be pretty bland sounding. Except for the high gain stuff. The high gain stuff sounded very hard and heavy, so ti might not be the worst amp ever for you. Still I myself a classic rocker thinks the Peavey 5150/6505 is the best high gain amp I have ever tried. If you can try it out.

For that warm and fuzzy feeling? Well that would probably be close to all my gear, but I'm going to say Gary (my Les Paul)
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
<Generic Spider/Line 6 insult>

Because if none of you have anything better to do than tell somebody the amp they just bought sucks than why should I? Seriously, we all know spiders and spider valves are not the best amps around. No need to bash the guy for being excited about having one. Im sure to some people its more fun to plug in a guitar and get any sound they want, even if its not the best tone. Personally I would rather have a different amp without being digital, but people completely forget about the convienence aspect in buying a amp with a digital preamp and simply rag on it because its not a tone purists amp.
Quote by Habs
with 1000 you could get a 5150 half stack... you are a retard.

No he's not. If he wanted a Spider Valve then fine. If he likes it, that's all that matters.

I doubt he needs a halfstack anyway.
My digitech bad monkey + B-52 AT 112...a match made in heaven. (or hell, depending on your mood)
WTLTL 2011
the spider valve isnt that bad. its a good amp for what it is.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus