Hi, I'm thinking of getting a bass distortion pedal soon. wondering which are good. and if there any that could be suggested to sound kind of like Lemmy or maybe Cliff Burton? anybody?
i concur. i have boss and can get many tones out of it, whether it be high end or low end. theres probably some really nice pedals out there but for its price, im sure this pedal is considered great especially for beginner/intermediates.
Quote by Copius
I've got a Boss ODB-3 and I love it.

EDIT: And I can get Cliff's Anesthesia tone out of it.

You won't in a years time. I have one too, and it just takes time for its garing flaws to come through. Namely, it cannot sound great with any particular tone.

The true answer for bass overdrive/distortion is the Fulltone Bass Driver, and for Fuzz, the Wooly Mammoth. Both expensive, but they are quite simply the best of their kind.

Cliff Burton used a Big Muff, however, using one is not advisable as it destroys your low end, unless you have enough money to bi-amp so you can run a clean signal along side the distorted, to keep low end.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
You won't in a years time. I have one too, and it just takes time for its garing flaws to come through. Namely, it cannot sound great with any particular tone.

The true answer for bass overdrive/distortion is the Fulltone Bass Driver, and for Fuzz, the Wooly Mammoth. Both expensive, but they are quite simply the best of their kind.

Cliff Burton used a Big Muff, however, using one is not advisable as it destroys your low end, unless you have enough money to bi-amp so you can run a clean signal along side the distorted, to keep low end.

You stole my post .

I also had an ODB-3 and while it seemed great to start, I really grew to despise the thing.

I just bought a Fulltone Bass Driver which is the best bass distortion/overdrive I have ever used.

I do own a Big Muff as well and always used to defend them when thefitz went on one of his "Big Muffs suck loads" sprees but now I really see where he was coming from. It's great for some full on fuzz but kiss goodbye to your low end.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Fitz will kill you if he finds this.

Lemmy gets his distortion by playing through Marshall guitar amps, he uses his sig Rickenbacker and plays with a pick. Cliff used a Russian Big Muff, and an Electro Harmonix Bassballs (according to James), he also played a Rickenbacker and played through Mesa cabs, and I forget the heads. EDIT - They were Mesa 400+ heads, 4x12 cabs and custom 1x15's

Look at getting a Wooly Mammoth like gm jack said. I own a Little Big Muff, it's great on my own, but if I'm playing in a band with two guitarists, my sound is gone. End of story. Three piece is okay, or if you can bi-amp.

Judging from the sound you're going for actually...You could probably use a Big Muff, Lemmy has very little low end, but he plays in a three piece.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Last edited by sammcl-15 at Nov 17, 2007,
Quote by sammcl-15
Cliff used a Russian Big Muff, and an Electro Harmonix Bassballs he also played a Rickenbacker .

He didn't use a bassballs, it was a Morley Power Wah.

And he more often used an Aria than any of his other basses.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
http://www.bassplayer.com/article/overdrives/Dec-06/24670

I wish I could automatically post that link whenever this question comes up. It has a sound byte of every currently made BASS distortion pedal.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by Cobalt Blue
Hi, I'm thinking of getting a bass distortion pedal soon. wondering which are good. and if there any that could be suggested to sound kind of like Lemmy or maybe Cliff Burton? anybody?

Two of the worst distorted tones ever...

Lemmy plays through guitar heads I believe, and his tone is pretty much all mids and some treble... THROUGH A RICK!!

I can never hear the bass in any Motorhead songs...

And as for Cliff, you can find that info anywhere.

However, just get something like a Digitech Bass Driver or Ibanez PD7 if you're on a budget.
Quote by thefitz
http://www.bassplayer.com/article/overdrives/Dec-06/24670

I wish I could automatically post that link whenever this question comes up. It has a sound byte of every currently made BASS distortion pedal.

Actually, I never managed to get the sound bytes to work It just loads up a blank new page.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
He didn't use a bassballs, it was a Morley Power Wah.

And he more often used an Aria than any of his other basses.

I know that, but, part of his distortion came from a Basballs, like I said according to James, not myself in an interview from '...And Justice For All' by Joel McIver. And it was an Aria Pro II, I thought I had said it.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
Last edited by sammcl-15 at Nov 17, 2007,
This might be out of your price range but it is the best if you have a power amp.
The SWR interstellar overdrive preamp is by far the best. It is a all tube pre and it's clean will blow you away as well.
Quote by Charlatan_001
Two of the worst distorted tones ever...

Lemmy plays through guitar heads I believe, and his tone is pretty much all mids and some treble... THROUGH A RICK!!

Here you go - he used a Marshall Super Bass head - with treble off, bass off, and mids and presence cranked. How's that for a bass tone?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Here you go - he used a Marshall Super Bass head - with treble off, bass off, and mids and presence cranked. How's that for a bass tone?

Ah that's it. Whenever I hear "Marshall," I never think of bass stuff - I guess due to their omnipresence in the guitar world.

But yeah man... through a Rick too. And somehow Lemmy still gets onto people's "Favorite Bassist" lists, and gets the chicks with that giant friggin mole of his (I heard he got it removed recently though.)

Then again, those chicks are probably not bass players, and wouldn't understand.
Quote by Charlatan_001
But yeah man... through a Rick too. And somehow Lemmy still gets onto people's "Favorite Bassist" lists, and gets the chicks with that giant friggin mole of his (I heard he got it removed recently though.)

Those moles WERE Lemmy

Why did he do that?
Quote by Demonikk
+1

Quote by Charlatan_001
Quote by Charlatan_001

However, just get something like a Digitech Bass Driver or Ibanez PD7 if you're on a budget.

Both are excellent budget pedals.

The Digi is pretty versatile, you can go from a little dirt to distortion to full on fuzz. Pretty good on control on high/low end focus for the disortion too. The only problem is they have a problem with the on/off switch dying/breaking, I had this pedal for about 2 years before it broke. The pedal works fine I just leave the cover off and have to manually turn it on and off with the end of my cable.

The Ibanez has a weird sound, I don't know how to describe it other then "frosty." I feel that it gives me too much gain/volume boost without the attack switch on, and if I do turn down the gain without the Attack on it has no grit left. Also gives good control over low/high end distortion but not as versatile as the Digi imo.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Quote by hatebreed219
The Ibanez has a weird sound, I don't know how to describe it other then "frosty." I feel that it gives me too much gain/volume boost without the attack switch on, and if I do turn down the gain without the Attack on it has no grit left. Also gives good control over low/high end distortion but not as versatile as the Digi imo.

Finally, someone who has actual experience using it I can talk to. I've been looking at this thing for awhile now, but I'm still on the fence with it. Its the most promising of the pedals I've looked at, but I run into the problem of not being able to try it myself, there isn't a music store anywhere near me that carries Ibanez pedals as regular stock.

Going by the various sound clips, it seems like it gives the sound I'm going for, a lighter distortion rather than full on overdrive. These sound clips can better describe what I'm refering to when I say that: distortion vs overdrive. Both of those clips are of the Ibanez pedal from the musician's friend page. I like the sound fo the first one, but what I'm wondering is if that's typical of the sounds you'd get out of this pedal of if its more inclined to the second sound. I've noticed that most pedals are geared more towards one end or the other, and rarely do both well.

So basically what I'm asking is if this would give me the lighter sound I crave, or if I'm better of shopping around some more. I don't want to spend a lot seeing as how I'm using this just to screw around by myself in my room, so i don't need anything fancy and I don't need it to be able to keep up with a band, I'm just looking for it for myself.
Now introducing: thefitz: thegame. It's what all the cool kids are playing!

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.
Quote by Fett13
I've noticed that most pedals are geared more towards one end or the other, and rarely do both well.

So basically what I'm asking is if this would give me the lighter sound I crave, or if I'm better of shopping around some more. I don't want to spend a lot seeing as how I'm using this just to screw around by myself in my room, so i don't need anything fancy and I don't need it to be able to keep up with a band, I'm just looking for it for myself.

Fulltone. To me, it has every thing from warm overdrive to moderate distortion nailed, but isn't so good for heavy distortion.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Well I bought the PD7 on eBay and I got it forrrr, about $20 used, so I figured "why not try it out for that price?" It came fully functional and in perfect working condition.

The first clip you posted is very possible to get with that pedal and your standard SS head/amplifier.

It sounds like it's being played without the "Attack" switch on. Before I go any further I'd like to say that disregard whatever people say about that "Attack" function serving no purpose or not changing the sound at all, they couldn't be more wrong. Having the switch off gives you a gritty, raw distortion similar to Tim C's. Turning it on level 1 gives you a smoother, even sound with a little more presence/treble/bit/whatever you want to call it, and a very, very slight low end cut (nothing near as terrible as the Muff or Boss ODB, and to solve the problem all you have to do is boost the "Low" level on the pedal) Engaging the switch brings on the "frosty" distortion I mentioned earlier.

Turning the level up to 2 I feel makes the tone too weak. It thins your tone out very much and focuses almost all of your sound on the high end. Even with your Low level boosted and High cut it still sounds just plain odd. The sound is hard to describe. It gives you a very sharp/trebly sound with a "shhh" kind of distortion.

Overall I think it's a great pedal for the price. You can choose if you want a little overdrive or full on distortion. You're not going to get a good, thick fuzz sound but it sounds like that isn't something you want anyway. Even with it on the "clean" setting you get a little grit in your sound. You can also use it as an EQ pedal almost with it set on Clean and the Attack off. For the price it's a hard pedal to beat.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Quote by sammcl-15
Cliff used a Russian Big Muff, and an Electro Harmonix Bassballs (according to James), he also played a Rickenbacker and played through Mesa cabs, and I forget the heads. EDIT - They were Mesa 400+ heads, 4x12 cabs and custom 1x15's

I thought cliff used ampegs... but jason and rob used mesas
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
Quote by sammcl-15
I know that, but, part of his distortion came from a Basballs, like I said according to James, not myself in an interview from '...And Justice For All' by Joel McIver. And it was an Aria Pro II, I thought I had said it.

You're confusing Cliff with Jason.

And I'm going to be the first to recommend it, but the EBS valvedrive is another viable option aswell. It even uses an actual tube to get distortion/overdrive. Not sure about the Fulltone, so that's just something extra to take into consideration.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )