Well our bassist in the our band plays guitar, and we need him to play bass, we worked out that he can occasionally slip into rhythm guitar, but that might get too confusing, we're gonna give him loads of bass solo's so he can fall in love with the instrument and eventually just become the bassist, any other ideas on how to avoid this bloody annoying line up change?
Tell him to go **** himself. You will find another one. It will cause more problems if you kep the dick.
Quote by ottoavist

i suppose there's a chance
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
Quote by starwars
Beat Him!

Make Him Your Bitch!!!

Reported for just being an ass.

Quote by Zephyr Zylöz
Well our bassist in the our band plays guitar, and we need him to play bass, we worked out that he can occasionally slip into rhythm guitar, but that might get too confusing, we're gonna give him loads of bass solo's so he can fall in love with the instrument and eventually just become the bassist, any other ideas on how to avoid this bloody annoying line up change?

Is he being a dick? Does he not wish to just play bass? How many guitarists are in your band?

Just be straight with him. Tell him that the band needs a full time bassist and if he can't fill the posistion that you all are going to have to get someone else.

No need for him to stay playing bass if he wants to play guitar.
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
I'm a bassist and whenever I hook up to an overdrive and an auto-wah pedal, I can't stop doing solos. It's just SO MUCH FUN to solo with those effects. Maybe that will get him to play bass.
Quote by CodySG

Is he being a dick? Does he not wish to just play bass? How many guitarists are in your band?

To answer that in three parts no, yes and 2

"is he one of those guitarist turned bassists?"

yep

Thanks everyone for the help, need some time to work on it, but maybe getting some of those effects pedals could do the trick anyway, thanks!
Wait, he's a guitarist that has now chosen to play bass? Play bass instead of guitar? Or just play bass as well as guitar?

Also, when it comes down to it....it's his choice. He needs to figure out if, in a band situation, he wants to play guitar or bass.

Just ask him that and you'll either have a bassist, or have to find one.
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
i do that with my band. i am usually the bass player, but for a few originals i switch with the rhythm guitarist. this helps because the lead player and i write most of the original songs, and they often have difficult rhythms that i can play on guitar much better than our rhythm player, and he can play easier on bass than guitar.
in my other band that i started with my first band's lead player, i mainly play bass as we dont have a rhythm guitarist. but for recording purposes i usually dub the rhythm parts.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Show him some great bass solos ex. Victor Wooten, John Entwhistle, Les Claypool, Flea, etc. so he can appreciate how great the bass is. Besides gently encouraging him you can't really do much. Ultimately, it is his choice.
WARNING:This post contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.
My bassist played guitar but decided bass was better because 1 - he got to be in a band and 2 - his parts are simple, so if he messes up, it's not a big deal.
I am a guitarist turned bassist turned guitarist again. Trust me when I say it probably won't work out. Best bet is finding someone who wants to play bass exclusively. Other than jamming every now and then with friends on bass, guitar is just way to fun compared to it so it gets most of my attention.
You cant force someone to play somthing.

Try looking elsewhere for a full time bassist.. Chances are you'll find someone who doesnt just chug away on the roots or just wants to play it like a guitar..
I own:
Fender Jazz 24 (5 string) Yay! =D
Behringer BXL3000A Nay =(
Zoom B2 effects Ehh? =S

Im learning:
Bass =P

I play in:
Casual Karma
The Uno Whos
- Both uni bands

DnD nerd of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Trust on this one man, forcing someone to play an instrument they don't have fun playing WONT WORK. I've learned from experience making a guitarist play bass. We played our first show, and he stopped coming to practice. He wasn't really motivated because he didn't have fun playing in the band. The longer you keep him, the more it will hurt to kick him out, or lose him.
I agree. Never force someone into something. If he wants to play let him. If not find a real bassist. Easy as that.
The jazz student