Rationing your cash rather.

Lets say you had 1500 $. Lets also say you already own a tuner and picks because you have an acoustic.

So what do you need?

Electric Guitar,
Amp,
Strap,
Cord(s?),
Possible pedals?

How would you portion up 1500 $ to buy all that stuff?

I know I said I was going to save up a bit more but **** keeps coming up and i gotta figure something out.

Thanks in advance

PS: Brands/designs appreciated for playing mostly metal, but jazz, blues, hard rock as well.
Amp, guitar, cables, effects, random accessories.
Edit: Buy in this order, Dont blow too much on an amp though
Quote by cnut
When I was eight, me and my best friend started "practicing for girls".
Which involved us going into the woods, and him sticking his dick in my ass.
The last time we did it, his sister caught us.

use AVG as your anti-virus
Get a nice, versatile tube combo-I'd advise buying used- for $900 or less, and a decent-quality guitar, whcih can be had for under $400 if you're smart and buy used. Basically just go into guitar stores in your area and try out lots of different guitar with lots of different amps, and remember that the amp is at least 90% of the sound, so try out a guitar on as many amps as you can before you buy it. That leaves you with at least $200 for other stuff, I'd suggest buying a nice hard case, a couple cables, extra strings (duh) and maybe a cheap multifx pedal to mess around with if you're into that.
Dunlop Straps™
The best sounding straps on the market

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows
good metal guitar = Schecter

+ there cheap
Quote by Kensai
Girls don't have to do anything to be good in bed. If she's got a pulse she's automatically an 8.

Well at least from what i've heard amp quality ranges hugungously, what are some good brands?

I figure I'll get a damned good amp now, and spare myself the upgrade for later. I'll just get a better guitar later. So what's a good amp brand for the 750-900 ish price range (With taxes shipping etc included preferably).

That'd leave me with around 600 $ left over to grab a guitar and the accessories. If a hard case is around 100 then the rest shouldn't be MUCH highger than 75 $ extra, leaving me with 425 on the guitar...

what should I do?
Considering you're playing jazz, you maybe should also get a capo. Unless you don't already have one. It maye also be wise to buy some string lubricant, nut lubricant and some extra strings. As for guitars, I think that the S series Ibanez's would be great.
Plays:
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
'66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
If I had to throw together a complete rig with the versatility to play metal, jazz, classic rock and a few other genres, I'd probably go this route...

Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster - ~$450 - $550 - a very versatile guitar for the genres listed. The bridge pickup is pretty hot and it can do metal even though it's a single coil, and the neck pickup is well voiced for classic rock and jazz rhythm work. It's not perfect at all of it, but it'd to just about anything pretty well.

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe - ~$450 - $650 - another very versatile amplifier. The high gain channel isn't the best, but it's usable.

Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde - ~$120 - $160 - usable TS voiced overdrive coupled with a nice distortion - think of this as channels 3 and 4 for the Fender.

Visual Sound H20 Chorus/Delay - ~$120 - $160 - A great delay/chorus pedal for a low price.

Dunlop Original Cry Baby - $70 - great value and good tone - get one if you need one.

Visual Sound One Spot - $20 - no batteries required

12" x 24" plywood - ~$10 - pedalboard on the cheap

Industrial Velcro - <$10 - to attach to pedalboard

250K Push/Pull Pot - <$10 - To add the neck+bridge pickup option to the telecaster...more versatility and works great for clean passages and jazz chording.

Generic patch cables - <$50 - no need to spring on top of the line stuff...get familiar with re-soldering the plug connections and you'll usually be okay with these until you get more funds.

Dunlop Nylon Strap - $10

If you haggle your ass off and you're going to buy all of this at once (minus the push/pull pot, which I would just order from Mouser) from somewhere like Guitar Center, you could easily walk out with all of this gear well under $1500 and have yourself a pretty versatile rig. If you preferred, you could sub out the telecaster for a Fender Deluxe Lonestar Strat if you want a strong humbucker in the bridge for a little more versatility...I'd still add the push/pull to get the neck and bridge pickups together. If Fender isn't your flavor, search around, there are tons of guitars in the same price bracket. The amp selection is based on my personal experience. I feel the HRD can do just about anything, especially when you add the right pedals. The Visual Sound stuff is top notch, priced really competitively when compared to other pedals, and add a lot of versatility to the rig without taking up a lot of room on the pedalboard. I'd vote Visual Sound before Digitech and Boss any day. If the J&H isn't really your game, but you still want a great distortion for the same price, check out the Bixonic Expandora.

If you're looking for something specific and need some more help, let me know.
I think I exagerated the jazz a bit. I do play it occasionaly, but it's more of a noodleing by myself thing. I will mostly be playing metal/rock.
Ahaha.... Ibanez S series!
Plays:
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
'66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
Quote by Fryer Mike
Ahaha.... Ibanez S series!

Some folks (IE, ME!!) hate most Ibanez guitars. The neck just makes the guitar feel like a toy to me instead of a serious musical instrument. CC, what guitar are you leaning towards right now?
Quote by bananasislegend
Amp, guitar, cables, effects, random accessories.
Edit: Buy in this order, Dont blow too much on an guitar though

Fix'd
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by TwoString
Some folks (IE, ME!!) hate most Ibanez guitars. The neck just makes the guitar feel like a toy to me instead of a serious musical instrument. CC, what guitar are you leaning towards right now?

Right now I really like V/explorers. So either a Jackson kelly (the 650 $ ish one) or a King V (the 500 $ ish one).

If not those, an Epiphone classic ebony V or an epiphone goth explorer.

That's basically that right now...
$1000 into a combo amp.

$500 into a guitar.

ask for the rest of the crap for Xmas.
Jumping Jax Champion 1965!
Quote by CrushedCan
Right now I really like V/explorers. So either a Jackson kelly (the 650 $ ish one) or a King V (the 500 $ ish one).

If not those, an Epiphone classic ebony V or an epiphone goth explorer.

That's basically that right now...

Yeah, you should be good with either. Also, forgot to mention, check out some of the Traynor amps...they do metal a bit easier than the Fenders, but they still cover jazz and classic/hard rock easily.