i dont sit down and tab out a song by ear i just get the most accurate tab to a song i like and play it. if it does not sound right to me thats when i try to figure out whats wrong. is that considered being a bad musician?
Ibanez SR 505
Brice Defiant 6 lizardburst (soon to have)
GK 700rbII
GK BXL 4x10
GK BXL 1x15
Boss GT10B (soon to have)
The only time I've ever really figured out a song by myself is generally by accident. I'll play something and go "Hey that sounds like that one song!" and go from there
And no, we're not bad musicians.
Originally posted by VoodooChild15
If your girlfriend's having sex at 13, she's a dirty dirty whore. And if you're having sex at 14, you're a dirty dirty...pimp.

Looking for a drummer in the Detroit, MI area
PM if interested!

MySpace
Dude, you're fine. A ton of people don't do that. =)
█████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████
Portugal. The Man »–
no, that's exactly what I do
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
You're not a bad musician, but ear harmony can really dissolve the boundaries you'll encounter later on.
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
Quote by G-Rock
The only time I've ever really figured out a song by myself is generally by accident. I'll play something and go "Hey that sounds like that one song!" and go from there

Same here.

To be honest, a good ear is something that comes with practice. I used to be totally tone deaf before I ever picked up a guitar, and even now after nearly seven years it's still a thorn in my side from time to time. I can't always sing in key, I can't always tune by ear, and sometimes I can even be playing a semitone flat or sharp and won't tell straight away.

So I wouldn't worry about it too much
"Is it an ambulance? Is he Philip Larkin? So much power in so few words."
~The Observer

"A transcendant terrestris, a timeless behemoth, trapped like Sisyphus in the cyclical burden of his own genius."
~The Sun

"His a cant."
~The Independent
Quote by sTx
You're not a bad musician, but ear harmony can really dissolve the boundaries you'll encounter later on.

definitely, it's something i do more now, unless its an uber fast solo

it helps a lot for figuring out stuff
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
jeez i hope not cuz i do that too. i only try to figure a sound out by ear if im up for a little challenge.
if that meant you werent a a good musician this site would say "Ultimate-guitar.com: Come here if you suck! lawlz"
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
The more you do by ear the better, if you ask me. Practice makes nearly perfect Most of us have ****ty ears when untrained.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
I don't often work out songs by ear unless no tabs exist for the song, or all the tabs sound absolutely incorrect.

I also find watching youtube videos is useful for learning a song. I'll work out a bit by ear and then watch the actual artist play it to see if I'm playing it right or not.
if you want to compromise between ear training(which is boring) and playing tabs(which is fun) learn to read sheet music. It makes seeing the intervals as you play the notes much easier then with tab.
I think its useful to train your ear, muisc is a hearing art after all. Learn off tabs if you like but also try and spend some time working things out for yourself because I assure you it will make you a better musician.
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
Ear-training is a very useful skill, one I have yet to develop. It won't kill you to learn from tabs, it helps to determine starting notes and keys. From there, it might be in your best interest to try and learn most of the song yourself, and look at the tabs for quick reference to make sure your in the right place.

By the way, there is no such thing as a 'bad' musician, in my opinion. I would call it "undeveloped".
Quote by Mazzakazza
Play Meshuggah. It is the solution.
Quote by InanezGuitars44
if that meant you werent a a good musician this site would say "Ultimate-guitar.com: Come here if you suck! lawlz"

haha i wish it did say that
Learning a song by ear, or even tuning by ear can be very, very hard to do. It takes a lot of time, and I can't do it either, but a lot of local bands want me to play for them, because they think I'm a good guitarist. A lot of professionals can't read sheet music, don't know the names of the notes on the neck, and just know "1-2-3-4-5-6..." for the neck.
I always learn my covers from tabs. That way I don't have to waste time trying to figure it out when I can just have it. It's more of a convenience than anything. The part that makes you a good musician is when you play the song, not when you transcribe it. You don't get any extra credit for tabbing it yourself. At the end of the day it's about how it sounds.
Quote by Wolftone08
I always learn my covers from tabs. That way I don't have to waste time trying to figure it out when I can just have it. It's more of a convenience than anything. The part that makes you a good musician is when you play the song, not when you transcribe it. You don't get any extra credit for tabbing it yourself. At the end of the day it's about how it sounds.

So what you're saying is ear training is useless and has no merit?
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
You don't get any extra credit for tabbing it yourself.

Tabbing it doesn't matter much, but *being* able to tab it gives extra credit. Especially if you ever want to improv.
It doesn't mean your a bad musician at all.
A good musician will play well, write music well, understand his instrument and understand what music is really about.
Just because you dont learn music by ear doesn't mean your bad.
Quote by Resiliance
So what you're saying is ear training is useless and has no merit?

No. It has great personal merit. But as a musician, everything you do is for the audience. At the end of the day it has to sound good. I just don't think you should stress about writing a song that's already been written.
Quote by Wolftone08
But as a musician, everything you do is for the audience.

I disagree, I play music for myself. My own expression of thoughts, feelings and ideas in a way that sounds good to me. If nobody likes it I dont really care.

I don't tab songs. I keep telling myself I should, but I'm lazy. There are other ways to train your ear
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by Ænimus Prime
I disagree, I play music for myself. My own expression of thoughts, feelings and ideas in a way that sounds good to me. If nobody likes it I dont really care.

I don't tab songs. I keep telling myself I should, but I'm lazy. There are other ways to train your ear

But overall, music is a service industry. We make a living by putting on shows for others. Like some people may enjoy carpentry for their own pleasure, but overall, you have to have something functional to sell as a carpenter.
It depends on how you see music: as a business or an art.

But I make a living by picking fruit, so I don't know much about the music industry.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by Wolftone08
No. It has great personal merit. But as a musician, everything you do is for the audience.

Death of the Author! DEATH OF THE AUTHOR!

Fucking Barthes.
"Is it an ambulance? Is he Philip Larkin? So much power in so few words."
~The Observer

"A transcendant terrestris, a timeless behemoth, trapped like Sisyphus in the cyclical burden of his own genius."
~The Sun

"His a cant."
~The Independent