Poll: V220 or AL300?
Poll Options
View poll results: V220 or AL300?
V220
17 65%
AL3000
9 35%
Voters: 26.
So, I was pretty much set on buying an Agile AL3000, simply because it seemed like the best guitar I could get for the price. But I've been moseying around Ebay, and I've seen several Carvin V220s go for under $500, both newish ones and eighties ones. Carvins seem to have a good rep, but I just wanted to double-check with UG: Are the V220s really as good (i.e. equal to guitars costing $1000+) of wood, hardware and build quality as Carvin et al claim they are? Are they just selling for half of the price of a new one because the street prices have been driven down, or is there some major flaw nobody is talking about? I kinda wanted a mahogany guitar (i.e. the Agile), but considering how dark my 6505 is, I'm starting to think that an alder guitar such as a Carvin would give me a more balanced tone. Basically, what is UG's opinion? Used Carvin FTW?
Dunlop Straps™
The best sounding straps on the market

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows
Agiles are great, but if you have the money Carvin would probably be an even better option. I'm not a big fan of the radical shape of the V220 but hey its and American made custom neck thru. Even though Carvin did use some Poplar back in the 80s Im sure most of their stuff was probably alder. Plus most of em have a Kahler cam tremolo which is an added plus given their price new.
Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the V220 shape. Don't let that stop you though, I assure you. Any guitar Carvin has produced is superior to any Agile.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
i cant contribute at all to this thread, i just wanted to compliment you on the first ever detailed and organized "which guitar" post
Member #3 of the Breaking Benjamin Fanclub PM Electric7 to join.
I have an agile and it kicks a lot of ass. but i'll still say the carvin is the way to go. Even if they end up being equal guitars (which i pretty much doubt), the Carvin will have a better resale value on it.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
I'd go for the carvin, if your not a fan of the alder you can order one thats koa, or mahogany or whatever wood you like, with some awesome finishes. Carvins have a low resale (which is good for you if you want a used one) because they are custom ordered and because they are alot less well-known. i havent played any guitar i like better than my carvin though, but it boils down to personal opinion.

Carvin does have a 10-day trail period, you pay the downpayment, they build it, send it to you, and then you can decide if you like it or love it. if you decide not to keep it all you pay is the return shipping.
Quote by Alienhead
I'd go for the carvin, if your not a fan of the alder you can order one thats koa, or mahogany or whatever wood you like, with some awesome finishes. Carvins have a low resale (which is good for you if you want a used one) because they are custom ordered and because they are alot less well-known. i havent played any guitar i like better than my carvin though, but it boils down to personal opinion.

Carvin does have a 10-day trail period, you pay the downpayment, they build it, send it to you, and then you can decide if you like it or love it. if you decide not to keep it all you pay is the return shipping.

Well, I'm talking about buying a used one off of ebay, so I'd just have to wait if I wanted a particular color or whatever. I'm not really worried about not liking the feel, since my first guitar was an Ibanez with a pretty thing neck, and the 25" scale on the Carvins is only .25" different from my main axe now.

So...Carvin it is, then.
Dunlop Straps™

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows
getting one used is a good way to go, you can pick used carvins up cheap. ive seen guys pick up beast 80s/90s carvins from pawn shops for around 200, and they cost 4 times that new! and play/sound like 8 times that!
the thing with the V220's is that their quality has improved since the 80's and early 90's, Carvin is not one of those companies that the vintage instrument becomes more valuable because their quality control nowadays sucks, Carvin made great instruments in the 80's, but their quality assurance has improved greatly since then because there's no corporate b.s. In simpler terms an 80's Carvin is good, but it will not touch a new one, that's the exception with Carvins that you dont get with other companies.
Quote by Eric 666
the thing with the V220's is that their quality has improved since the 80's and early 90's, Carvin is not one of those companies that the vintage instrument becomes more valuable because their quality control nowadays sucks, Carvin made great instruments in the 80's, but their quality assurance has improved greatly since then because there's no corporate b.s. In simpler terms an 80's Carvin is good, but it will not touch a new one, that's the exception with Carvins that you dont get with other companies.

So would it be worth waiting for a new one to come on ebay to see if I can get it for a similar price? I saw a couple new V220s go for $500 or so each a few weeks ago, but I wasn't sure if I wanted one then and didn't have the money yet anyway.

EDIT: New-ish, as in the reissues made within the last year or so. Also, are Kahlers as good as a nice Floyd Rose in terms of tuning stability?
Dunlop Straps™

Quote by steven seagull
some people love kahlers, some people hate kahlers, that is most definitely a personal preference. carvin no longer offers kahlers though so youll have to find an older one for that. My carvin DC400 has a floyd rose without a locking nut (although it does have sperzel locking tuners), and my tuning is about as stable as it gets. I've played some kahler equiped 80s carvin DCs and they had no tuning issues.
CARVINITES UNITE!

7th

IV
Quote by Alienhead
some people love kahlers, some people hate kahlers, that is most definitely a personal preference. carvin no longer offers kahlers though so youll have to find an older one for that. My carvin DC400 has a floyd rose without a locking nut (although it does have sperzel locking tuners), and my tuning is about as stable as it gets. I've played some kahler equiped 80s carvin DCs and they had no tuning issues.

Well, there are three 80's v220s on Ebay right now, so I'm gonna buy one of those. I played a couple guitars with kahlers at a guitar shop a while ago, and I liked the feel, so if they don't lose tuning, I'm not worried about not liking how they work. There's one with a weird fixed bridge with what look like fine-tuners and two with Kahlers, but the fixed bridge is in the worst shape, and the trem'll be nice to have for weird noise-jam freakouts, which my band is rather fond of, even if I don't end up using it for anything else.
Dunlop Straps™

Quote by steven seagull
Quote by Alienhead
go for it man! I think you will enjoy it.

I'm gonna bid on one today. Thanks for your help, man.
Dunlop Straps™

Quote by steven seagull