I was just thinking about the moral standards applied by various cultures.

Now, Western nations consider themselves culturally superior to, say, Middle Eastern countries because we let women vote, or anybody vote, and we don't have capital punishment (except for you crazy Americans) etc. etc. etc. But every time I go outside I see a thousand examples of stupidity, pitiful ignorance, decadence, and barbarism. How can I possibly be experiencing the world's all-time cultural zenith?

It seems to me like cultural comparisons are made simply to deflect attention away from our own barbarism. Sometimes we export our particular brand of barbarism to other countries in the name of democracy, where it only interferes with their own barbarism. Basically, it's like an kid with cerebal palsy calling a half-brained kid a retard.

Aspire to absolute ideals, and change them quickly. Don't compare yourself to other people because, provided you're not a total moron, you'll always compare favourably. Which is misleading, because you're quite a moron. This would be the barbarism that begins at home, but effects everybody in the end.
Quote by GlamSpam

I developed a thought experiment to explain why you can't remember anything before you were born:
Its human nature, every country for the most part will bad mouth another country.
k.
Quote by hug a llama
Dude, if a title read "penis pics, come on in" I think about 93% of UG would still click on it.

Quote by Burpin'Worm
Nonsense. I'm telling you, nothing makes the fairer sex swoon like an extensive knowledge of siege weaponry and medieval battle tactics.
Quote by kiennM
Its human nature, every country for the most part will bad mouth another country.

The nation state is a very recent concept in human social organization. So bad mouthing other countries can't be human nature.
Quote by GlamSpam

I developed a thought experiment to explain why you can't remember anything before you were born:
I see what you mean. Though, honestly, I see the East as far more culturally superior as they are not as tied to material wealth and being as we in the West are. As far as barbarism, the crimes/ deviances of our society-- especially the U.S. who has the most imprisoned people of any country in the world-- are far worse than simply neglecting women's rights. Our obsession for policing the world, for consuming its resources, for conquering its peoples with our products... the West is just begging for a 'false' zenith. An all- time high for cultural prosperity, but we still are ultimately subject to our fallicy and greeds.
i*[∂/∂t]*Ψt = -[∇^2]/2*(Ψt) (unitless form)

Almost as convenient as Wikipedia, but infinitely more hipster, Dover.
Quote by suffer some
The nation state is a very recent concept in human social organization. So bad mouthing other countries can't be human nature.

well, its basically human nature to criticize something that is different to your norm
Well, looking at it, we actually do live in a better country, so there's no reason to kid ourselves and say we're all the same.
It's a well known fact that we eventually think of our own culture as the best culture, no matter what. The fact is that the muslims are right about many things, and we are wrong about many. Take our democratic system. What does it mean practically? It means every election is a popularity contest where it's all about convincing the most people you'll do what they want you to do, and then you're in. You don't need to be a good politician, you simply need to have a lot of money and be good at big talk to the masses.

A muslim I talked with recently expressed his opinion that a lot of women and even more girls dress like *****s, showing tons of cleavage and hips and whatnot, and I couldn't help agreeing. I'm heavily against their practice of letting their religion go before anything including human needs, but then again there are christians (especially in USA) meaning that our countries should do the same. However, they think it's wrong to have muslims controlling the politics, it's only right as long as it's the religion that's "right".

We need to be more critical towards our own culture, indeed.
I'm a communist. Really.
Quote by suffer some

"the nation state"? yes calling it "the nation state" is very recent concept for human social organization. We are tribe,group oriented creatures. "Bad mouthing" on a sub-consensus level, is no different than one group fighting another group for land/food/women/ext. How is this not human nature? What period of time did man not do this?
Last edited by kiennM at Nov 17, 2007,
Quote by Raziel2p
It's a well known fact that we eventually think of our own culture as the best culture, no matter what. The fact is that the muslims are right about many things, and we are wrong about many. Take our democratic system. What does it mean practically? It means every election is a popularity contest where it's all about convincing the most people you'll do what they want you to do, and then you're in. You don't need to be a good politician, you simply need to have a lot of money and be good at big talk to the masses.

A muslim I talked with recently expressed his opinion that a lot of women and even more girls dress like *****s, showing tons of cleavage and hips and whatnot, and I couldn't help agreeing. I'm heavily against their practice of letting their religion go before anything including human needs, but then again there are christians (especially in USA) meaning that our countries should do the same. However, they think it's wrong to have muslims controlling the politics, it's only right as long as it's the religion that's "right".

We need to be more critical towards our own culture, indeed.

Precisely. Our criticism of other countries for not having any democracy is almost wholly the result of our laziness when it comes to reforming ourselves. It's a contemptible sort of complacency.

Quote by danomas
Well, looking at it, we actually do live in a better country, so there's no reason to kid ourselves and say we're all the same.

Better than where? By what standard?

Interesting question: did Britain rule the world because it was better than everywhere else, or because it was such a ****ty place in some very important ways (esp. after the industrial revolution) that people couldn't wait to leave for the West or East Indies?
Quote by GlamSpam

Quote by suffer some
Precisely. Our criticism of other countries for not having any democracy is almost wholly the result of our laziness when it comes to reforming ourselves. It's a contemptible sort of complacency.

Our criticism of other countries, again is no different than what any "other country" is doing. No different than what the brunet says under her breath about the blonde she sees walking down the street. Or vise versa, if your going to let something so trivial and human bother you. You have alot to learn. Your not going to make it go away, get used to it and work on change in other fields.
Last edited by kiennM at Nov 17, 2007,
Quote by kiennM
Our criticism of other countries, again is no different than what any "other country" is doing. No different than what the brunet says under her breath about the blonde she sees walking down the street. Or vise versa, if your going to let something so trivial and human bother you. You have alot to learn. Your not going to make it go away, get used to it and work on change in other fields.

So because every other country does it, we're allowed to, as well? If the western civilisation wants to prove itself superior, then critisising other cultures won't help, so let's stop thinking of ourselves as it.
I'm a communist. Really.
everyone thinks they're superior, ok?

alright.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
It's just a matter of it being easier to see the flaws in others than in yourself.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by Raziel2p
So because every other country does it, we're allowed to, as well? If the western civilisation wants to prove itself superior, then critisising other cultures won't help, so let's stop thinking of ourselves as it.

I never said we're allowed to, it should happen or that its justified. But it always has happened and unless man evolves into better mindset, its not going to stop happening. We're simply not wired for it. America isn't trying to prove itself superior, America believes its better. So it evokes its style on the little guy. The classic big guy picking on the little guy. America has the ability to do so, so it does. Just like any other human being in that situation would do. Its anything but just or fair. We're easily influenced,corrupted,submissive creatures, in a world that runs in a survival of the fittest setting. I'm not saying give up all together on people, but don't allow yourself to be shocked over something like this. It isn't new, maybe your too young to know better.
Quote by Kiwi Ace

Would that justify stereotyping the muslim culture as a whole? You probably know as well as I do that some people bend what religion is all about to suit their image and "goals". Besides Saudi Arabia is known even in the arab world to be very strict.

That being said, what happened to the lady is unjustifyed. Was it her fault that she got raped???
The cliched "rig" Signature:

ESP LTD EC-1000VBL (EMG-ed)
Dean Cadillac SilverBurst Left-handed
Boss GT-8
Roland Micro-Cube
Line 6 FlexTone III XL
Levy's straps
It's a bit unfair to say that everyone in Western cultures consider it superior to others.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Quote by crimson moon
Would that justify stereotyping the muslim culture as a whole? You probably know as well as I do that some people bend what religion is all about to suit their image and "goals". Besides Saudi Arabia is known even in the arab world to be very strict.

That being said, what happened to the lady is unjustifyed. Was it her fault that she got raped???

Oh no, don't get me wrong, I'm not stereotyping Muslim culture at all. I was simply saying that I am willing to criticise Saudi Arabia's [religious/legal] treatment of women, and particularly, I'm willing to compare it to my country and say that I believe we have better, fairer, and more just treatment of women.
Quote by Dinkydaisy
It's a bit unfair to say that everyone in Western cultures consider it superior to others.

It is also incredibly misguided.
Law is placed to prevent crime and bring justice to the victims . But in some countries Law is used to protect religion . That's it.
Hi
Quote by suffer some

Tribes?
Well mainly it's because we give people the freedom to act in ways that don't follow such a restrictive moral compass as many eastern nations.
so the UK is barbaric now? Well maybe Middlesbrough
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate