Page 1 of 2
hey,

at the moment me and my mate Mark are writing aload of songs for a band were starting and were going for sort of an A7x-y sound.

but whenever we come up with ideas and put them into a song that weve written it jsut sounds identical to there material.

any ideas on coming up with more original sounding riffs and solos that still have that feel to them?

x
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
Quote by Carl6661
hey,

were going for sort of an A7x-y sound.

but whenever we come up with ideas and put them into a song that weve written it jsut sounds identical to there material.

x

Sound's like an oxymoron.

Expand your influences, and don't listen to Avenged Sevenfold. They're a **** bag band of poseur metal-heads.
Quote by Kensai
I know a good joke:

Women's rights.
Quote by Chubbychunks
I know a good joke:

Kensai's life.
Don't ever go into a band situation wanting to be another band. It just won't work.

EDIT: never mind
derp
lol u have faggot in ur username

Quote by Jack Off Jill
You know, if you, Silent Deftone and I get together.. We'd be unstoppable at the night clubs.

Everything I say is to be taken as serious fucking business.
Last edited by rorythefaggot at Nov 17, 2007,
It's simple to sound like them, tune your guitars down a couple of steps but don't worry if it's actually IN tune or not, then just plug in and throw your guitar out the window. That's what A7X sounds like.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Listen to more bands, take in more influences, even in completely different genres.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
1. Do not write in red.
2. Do not centre your posts.
3. 'We're', 'We've', 'their'.
4. No need for an 'x', we're not your significant other.
5. Just write your own songs. If you're influenced by Avenged Sevenfold then it's quite likely that you'll sound a bit like them.
6. Wrong sub-forum.
Friends, applaud the comedy is over.

I'd dance with you but...

Well... Avoiding the topic of who likes A7X and who doesn't, I have to bring up a process that applies to wanting to sound like any band.

You should ask yourself, what is it about A7X that you like? Is it the singer's style? Is it the way the two guitarists play together (theoretically) in harmony? Is it the way the lead guitarist solos? Find out what you like about them, and instead of trying to just sound just like them, get better and what it is you enjoy about them and don't bother with the rest. When you're comfortable enough with what you've been practicing, it leaves you more room to branch out and be original from that stepping stone.
Quote by Delanoir
Well... Avoiding the topic of who likes A7X and who doesn't, I have to bring up a process that applies to wanting to sound like any band.

You should ask yourself, what is it about A7X that you like? Is it the singer's style? Is it the way the two guitarists play together (theoretically) in harmony? Is it the way the lead guitarist solos? Find out what you like about them, and instead of trying to just sound just like them, get better and what it is you enjoy about them and don't bother with the rest. When you're comfortable enough with what you've been practicing, it leaves you more room to branch out and be original from that stepping stone.

Delanoir knows his ****
ive got an idea, piss on your guitar/amp/hands/dog when your going to write, then just hit your guitar against a wall, dont be surprised when beast and the harlot comes ringing out when you do
Quote by Dimebag Dave
Sound's like an oxymoron.

Expand your influences, and don't listen to Avenged Sevenfold. They're a **** bag band of poseur metal-heads.

Expand your mind, and don't be a shitbag elitist.

TS: I think having a sound similar to someone else's is stupid. Find your own sound, because if your band has comparisons to a bigger, more widely known band, you'll always have people saying "Dude they suck, A7X is better".

WOW, YOU'RE ALL ELITISTS!
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']WOW, YOU'RE ALL ELITISTS!

Because we dont like Avenged Sevenfold..yeah ok
the intro to "strength of the world" is awesome i think, but anyways i havent really got any input.

hope it all goes well
You're trying to hard.

If your only influence is ONE band you're going to end up sounding like that ONE band, but most likely ****tier because you aren't that band and don't really think like them.

Honestly, just write whatever the **** comes in that mind of yours and that will be a combination of all the bands and experiences you've had in life and that will be what makes YOUR band stand and it could still turn out to be similar to the band you want to sound like--who knows, but don't ever TRY to sound like someone else.

/thread
Well, firstly, you shouldn't be trying to imitate someone else's style. It's ok for the influence to be there, but don't try and write a song that sounds exactly like them. Write a song without trying to sound like anything but you.

Also, listen to Delanoir, as he had a point.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by andyscoot
Because we dont like Avenged Sevenfold..yeah ok

No, its because you push your dislike for them onto other people.
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz

ಠ_ಠ

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']No, its because you push your dislike for them onto other people.

fair doo's, but this is the pit what do you expect from us, we hate everything
Quote by andyscoot
fair doo's, but this is the pit what do you expect from us, we hate everything

True, true. Truce?
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz

ಠ_ಠ

to get there sound just right, get a cat, put it in a blender, turn it on the fastest setting, and that there sound!
to those of you who arent being fags.
thanks, for the help! ill go out and listen to some completely differnt **** for a while and get some cool stuff from that and chuck it in there. (: espiecaially Delanior, thats by the far the best advice thats been given in this thread so far!

and to those who are, if you dont even like a7x why did you bother even coming to this thread in the first place?
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
Whoever said A7X sounds like ****..
Uhh.. are you the one with an album near #1 on the Billboard charts?
I dont think so, i dont see you making money like them.
So, shut the hell up.
Listen to some blues, or jazz, or shred, or neo classical, or classical, or fusion, or funk, or...

!
opeth is the best inspiration you could get these days,

or

the dillinger escape plan
I believe the problem your having is in the thread title.
Flap it and enjoy yourself...

Xbox Live GT = The Donkey Fly
'...and those who fought on that day of honor, the day of victory shall be forever remembered as Lime Green' - Oct 31st 08
Please, it's always wrong to try and sound like another band, but Avenged ****fold? Come on, look wider than that GunsnRoses/MotleyCrue/Pantera rip off crap.

I like being elitist about these kind of matters, and it's worth it. Be original and it seems like you're listening to waaay too much A7X, if your songs sound exactly the same.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by unholy_love
So, shut the hell up.

And they don't make as much money as Justin Timberlake.

Does that make them worse than him?

Retard.

On topic, yeah just listen to more stuff, being your own band is better than trying to sound like others.
You dont want to sound exactly like them. What makes a band is their individual sound. I agree with whats been said, get more influences, not just A7X.
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
Quote by Peaceful Rocker
wait so your going for that avenged sevenfold terrible metal vibe?

but your mad because you sound like them

ok wtf

yeah a few people are confused by that, what i meant is...

were going for that sort of 'terrible' vibe as you called it,
but whenever i come up with stuff it sounds identical to theres, as if i was ripping it all off.
^Hmmmm....

... so you set out to sound like A7X....

.... and then your songs end up sounding exactly identical!

ZOMG?! Who would've thought it?

Listen to other bands. Get influenced by them. Find out what bands influenced A7X, and listen to them too. Diversify. Write more.
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
Quote by unholy_love
So, shut the hell up.

1. The movie critic does not necessarily need to make movies.
2. The same could be said for the Pussycat Dolls. (Not so much NOW, but they did)
derp
lol u have faggot in ur username

Quote by Jack Off Jill
You know, if you, Silent Deftone and I get together.. We'd be unstoppable at the night clubs.

Everything I say is to be taken as serious fucking business.
Quote by ctb
Just expand your musical horizons.

Perfect. That is all that need to be said. So **** off u haters. A7X pwns you.
James "The Rev" Sullivan
1981-2009
May He Rest In Peace
Page 1 of 2