I'm looking for a giggable amp. I play post-hardcore music similiar to Biffy. It must have good cleans and distortion.

My budget s 300 (thats about 600$) but I would like to buy cheaper than that if I can cause I need as soon as possible.

I was thinking the Vox AD100VT whic is great but is 300. Is there anything as good but cheaper?
by the way, to anyone from the states, don't recommend $600 dollar amps. although £300 does exchange to $600, you can't get $600 amps for £300. more like $450.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
^ Well that depends. A valveking is sub £300 and handles his wants fine. Hot Rods are massively overpriced here though, but I'm not a fan of them.

Peavey Valveking 1x12 or a Laney VC30 (the Laney is better, but lower gain and unreliable) would be sweet.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
^ Well that depends. A valveking is sub £300 and handles his wants fine. Hot Rods are massively overpriced here though, but I'm not a fan of them.

Peavey Valveking 1x12 or a Laney VC30 (the Laney is better, but lower gain and unreliable) would be sweet.

i never said it wasnt. i was just pointing out in advance.

i can see how you might have thought my post was in response to yours though. but it wasnt. i promise.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Yeah, that's fine. I was just saying, soem are overpriced here, some are cheaper like the VC30.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Woo I'm seeing Biffy tonight in Cardiff!

Anyway defiantly go tube... 30 watts should be fine.

Sure that Vox would be alright but you can get so much more amp for the cash. Like the VC30, and also check out Sound City amps, heard good things.
Guitars Fender Highway 1 Telecaster, Vintage VS-6, Yamaha C-40 Classical
Amps Laney VC15, Crate GT212 *FOR SALE*
Pedals Fulltone OCD, Vox V847, Marshall The Echohead, EHX Small Clone, Korg DT-10

Member of the Laney Cult
Yeah a VC30 and an overdrive pedal to push it would be cool. Either that or look for a used Peavey 6505.
So this over the Vox: http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/vc30-112/380

It's tube amp I take it? So would this be as loud as the Vox?

Cheers

Biffy!!! Woo! Lucky you! I missed them when they came back here

Edit: Is this worth the extra £40? http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/vc30-210/379 I don't understand what is the difference between them?

Also I have a Metal Muff and a USA Big Muff. Will these pedals sound good with it?
Last edited by soundcheck1 at Nov 17, 2007,
^ Yeah, it's a valve amp. And the second one of those has two speakers. Look at the 112 and 210 parts. The 112 combo has 1 12" speaker. The 210 combo has 2 10" speakers.
what does post-hardcore even mean? (seriously)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
A VC30 would actually do Biffy I think, they don't use that much gain for a post-hardcore band. It never really made much sense to me, a Strat in drop C through a fender amp (at least, they had one onstage at reading).

Though an LC30 is more modern voiced and is probably a better option. If you want something more "Marshally" look at the Peavey Classic 30. More gain than the VC30 and more marshally in voicing too.

Peavey Windsor is worth a look aswell (if you already have a cab/can get one cheap), and of course there's the Valveking, though I don't much like it.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
well i still don't know what it is. I'll just second what becky and tim say.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
well i still don't know what it is. I'll just second what becky and tim say.

It's like a lighter version of hardcore, from what I can recall. It's quite basic, riff, quiet verse, loud chorus, maybe the odd breakdown. I think of Fightstar as post hardcore but then I never looked into it much.

It's more bearable than emo.

My Music
i dunno, that dude used to be in busted and has crazy eyebrows...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
How much is a Peavey Classic 30? I read the other day thats what one of Simon's main amps nowadays, can't do much better than that.
The obligatory gear list: Gibson SG standard,Maverick F-1,Epiphone Sheraton,'68 reissuse Jap Strat, Orange Rocker 30 and various pedals.
Electro Harmonix Users Guild #30
£400 or so, i think. maybe £380.

Little over budget, but I guess if that's the amp the dude uses, might be worth the little extra.

That being said, if that's the type of tone you're after, if you ask me the laney vc30 does it better, for £80 less.

That's just me though- my main complaint with the classic 30 is it sounds a bit rattley and raucous at high volume levels- apparently fixable with tube swap/tube cage and speaker swap, but you're talking about an extra £100 for that. While the vc30, although it doesn't have an amazing speaker, is good enough to not need upgrades immediately out of the box (as the classic 30 does, IMO).

Up to you of course- it's not like they both sound exactly the same, and it is possible you'd like the classic 30 more, especially as you said the dude in your fave band uses one.

EDIT: ok i'm just being a retard and realised you didn't start the thread. Anyway, what I said stands.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ I found the VC30 to sound sweeter than the Classic 30, whereas the peavey was a bit rougher and better for harder stuff.

My Music
yeah, i'd agree with that. the classic 30 is kinda "raucous". i could see the vc30 being too warm/vintage/sweet for some, of course.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Right I've decided on a VC30. Biffy Clyro are not emo, and are the greatest band ever! I probably shouldn't have said post-hardcore. Biffy are a bad example. I mean british post-hardcore such as Reuben, Sucioperro and Hell Is For Heroes.