Im looking for a new amp, but do i get a stack or a combo?

i have about £400 and play everythign from blues to metal.

ive got a peavy revoloution 112 combo now, but its time for a change.

any help?
Quote by silentdob
*waits for the legion of Dimebag fans to beat me to death with bottles of Jack*
Combo, because generally you can get something better. Remember that the head version of an amp might be cheaper than a combo, but then you have to buy a cab as well which makes it more expensive.
Combo.

And I seem to be reccomending it alot these days, but the Peavey Valveking 1x12 would be ideal.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Well if you play large venue gigs a Stack would be better... you won't get much stack for £400 though.

Anything else a combo is just better: cheaper, easily portable etc. etc.

I recommend a nice combo would be nicer.
Guitars Fender Highway 1 Telecaster, Vintage VS-6, Yamaha C-40 Classical
Amps Laney VC15, Crate GT212 *FOR SALE*
Pedals Fulltone OCD, Vox V847, Marshall The Echohead, EHX Small Clone, Korg DT-10

Member of the Laney Cult
i got a JCM800 combo off ebay for £325 - you should check them out, they are just awesome
Do you play any decent sized gigs?

If yes, stack or possibly combo.

If not, combo.

Personally, I'd get a combo and mic it up for gigs. Which is what i do.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Why? A large tube combo of at least 30 watts would be PLENTY loud. Besides, you're usually miked up at venues, anyway.

Exactly!
Unless you're really wanting a half-stack, then get a combo. They're relatively cheaper and WAY easier to lug around when you wanna play somewhere. Half-stacks also take more cables and are quicker to set up
My Gear
Ibanez SR520EX with EMG 81/85 and boost
Peavey Valveking Head w/ Crate Blue Voodoo Cab
Peavey VB-2
Spector Euro 4
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-2
how heavy metal?

(not to go against the consensus here, as generally combos are better value, but sound control have a great deal on the peavey windsor head (£200) and grainger hammerhead (basically an epiphone so-cal head, £250), which could end up better value than a combo, perhaps).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?