Okay so this isn't the most amazing spam thread with Bogners, Diezels and whatnot but I went to Sound Control today and tried out the Peavey Windsor head and Peavey Valveking 212. For both I used my Ibanez RG370DXL with Swineshead Venom in the bridge.

Okay first off the Windsor, through its Peavey cab (which I know isn't that great):

Firstly I played around with it to get a clean sound since I've heard how difficult it is. Well with the preamp volume low and the master volume up a bit I got a clean sound with no audible breakup while using my middle single coil. However it was very "meh", a functional but dull clean sound which could probably be improved with some chorus and reverb. I then tried out the distortion and played around with different gain levels and the boost and texture controls. I don't know why people have been recommending this amp, the distortion was fuzzy, muddy and harsh sounding with no dynamics whatsoever. Rolling down the guitars volume hardly cleaned up the sound at all. Even turning up the master volume quite a bit it sounded the same. Not impressed at all with this amp, sounded cheap.

Then I tried the Valveking 212 which has mediocre peavey speakers as well:

Cleans are much nicer, I could get everything from nice warm sounding cleans to bright jazzy tones to Metallica-esque cleans. Changed over to the distortion channel and immediately found it was much tighter and had more clarity than the Windsor. Plenty of gain on tap, especially with the boost and I got some nice ACDC crunch and some good Van Halen tones (which were better than the Windsor). Not the best distortion I've ever heard but for the money its very nice and I'm definitely considering getting one.

So I went in expecting the Windsor to sound similar to a hot rodded 800 (obviously wasn't expecting awesome tones for the price) and expecting the Valveking to be thin and cheap sounding. I was with my dad (non guitarist) and my brother (guitarist) and all of us agreed the Valveking sounded better than the Windsor. Even my dad thought the windsor sounded "fuzzy".

So... I was surprised.
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
Nice, i was going to try out the Peavey Windsor just to see what it's like. Now I don't think I'll bother.
I'd try it anyway, maybe I just couldn't dial it in right but I tried a lot of settings and just couldn't find a tone that made me think "I want this amp". Theres useable sounds in there but I've heard better sounding solid states.
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Axeman99
Okay first off the Windsor, through its Peavey cab (which I know isn't that great):

^ Looks like it.

I played the Windsor through a 1960A and I was happy with the way it sounded for £200. Maybe the reason you didn't like it was partially to do with the cab?
I did think that, and it did seem like the cab contributed to the lack of definition. Then again the Valveking 212 has Peavey speakers in and that sounded ok.
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
I agree to an extent on the windsor, it was far too bassy and a bit bland when I tried it, though I'm putting it down to the cab personally.

The Valveking's a heap of crap though, I much preferred the Windsor.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
if the windsor sounds better through a good cab, what about the valveking?

i think the windsor is one of the most boring generic amps ever. and its way overblown here on UG. im sorry, but you guys have it absolutely assbackwards with that one.
^ I agree TehJermie, its a one trick pony which doesn't even do its trick that well. It probably sounds better through a nicer cab but so would the Valveking (which is nicer stock).
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112