before I buy a book detailing EXACTLY how to do it, I thought I'd get a range of opinions, just to get a basic idea of what will be happening and what I'll be doing.

No doubt you... YES YOU! have made 1012098012 x the amount of guitars that I have, so I ask you these questions, and if you feel I've left anything out or appear stupid, let me know

do I need a template for routing that I must buy from somewhere?

do I need to make a template myself?

do I need to buy things like a truss rod?

is building a neck hard (the bit I'm worried about as well as installing) and will it be covered in detail in a book?

can you suggest a book?

can I make some crazy ass shaped guitar (like a pentagram hehe) and it'll still work just as good with a template for the pickups and neck for a stat or whatnot?

Are inlays really hard to do if they have to be intricate?

I'm looking for two humbuckers, maybe EMGs, will a template fit this, and are there templates you can get for any pickup configuration?

At the moment I have a floyd rose, so I want to get a hardtail (Not sure if this is the right word), are these easier or more difficult to make?

will this be covered in the book you might reccomend to me?

I have lots of tools already, my dad works as a carpenter so he can possible give my advice along the way, so yeh, tools aren't a problem.

Also, I'd like to build this all by myself, as in not buying any parts (except hardware of course)

Thanks for reading (or skipping to the end)
do I need a template for routing that I must buy from somewhere?
You don't HAVE to have one, but trust me, it helps a lot, so it's highly advised

do I need to make a template myself?
You can if you want to save time and money. I'd do it.

do I need to buy things like a truss rod?
Yes. You need to buy things like a truss rod.

is building a neck hard (the bit I'm worried about as well as installing) and will it be covered in detail in a book?
Building a neck isn't too hard. It just takes time. As for fitting it, just make sure you got all the measurements right, so you know it will fit.

can you suggest a book?
I heard "Make your own electric guitar" by Melvyn Hiscock is good. I don't have it, though.

www.projectguitar.com
Make that site your new Bible

can I make some crazy ass shaped guitar (like a pentagram hehe) and it'll still work just as good with a template for the pickups and neck for a stat or whatnot?
As long as it's big enough to fit all the pickups and hardware, any shape will work. Whether or not it will be comfortable is another question.

Yes. Inlays can be challenging. You need the right tools (dremel, radiusing block, fine sandpaper, a small saw for cutting out the inlays)

I'm looking for two humbuckers, maybe EMGs, will a template fit this, and are there templates you can get for any pickup configuration?
Humbuckers are pretty much standardised. Most of them, anyway. EMG's will fit into standard "humbucker" cavities.

At the moment I have a floyd rose, so I want to get a hardtail (Not sure if this is the right word), are these easier or more difficult to make?
Hardtails are much easier because you don't need to rout a big cavities, or holes through the body. They also take less time to set up.

I think. I don't have the book.
Do I need a template for routing that I must buy from somewhere?
No. You can make a template yourself, but you have to do a lot of research on dimensions and feasability. The premade ones take care of a lot of it for you.

Do I need to buy things like a truss rod?
Yes you'll need to buy it. Again, like all things you coul make it, but metal work is much harder to do yourself.

Is building a neck hard (the bit I'm worried about as well as installing) and will it be covered in detail in a book?
Making a neck isn't hard per say but its the part that requires the most precision. The fretboard especially will require exact measurements and most guitar building books will have a section on it. You can also buy necks of sites like warmoth

Can you suggest a book?
Make your own electric guitar by Melvyn Hiscock is a great book. He goes over every detail of the guitar-design and building process. However it is a book you have to read from front to back first.

Can I make some crazy ass shaped guitar (like a pentagram hehe) and it'll still work just as good with a template for the pickups and neck for a stat or whatnot?
Depends how smart you are. Anything is possible, but obviously you also want it to handle and play well and last a long time.

No. You can also buy premade inlays of the net. Installation is really simple.

The downside of premade tempaltes is your confined to whats available. Adjusting a template for different pickups isn't too hard though.

Hardtails are easier to make since they require a lot less and almost zero routing of the body for their installation.

Yes. He covers every aspect of a guitar and he covers the building of a set-neck superstrat, a tele and an 8 string through-neck bass.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
^ What he said, pretty much.

Also, making your own templates can be a good experience to start off with. I have the book he recommended, and it's a very good book to get.

Good luck with the build
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
thanks for answering those questions and the good luck, I'm really looking forward to this and I'll post a picture of the final thing when it's finished... well, here's hoping!
Quote by psyks
thanks for answering those questions and the good luck, I'm really looking forward to this and I'll post a picture of the final thing when it's finished... well, here's hoping!

What type of guitar are you going for?
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
haha, I really don't know since I've only given this about two days thought.

I like the jackson warrior and KE2 shapes, so I may go with a modified version of them. I'll just experiment until I find one that looks good and looks like it'll feel good. I'll also take into account the golden measurment, because from what I've drawn before, it works wonders with the eyes
Quote by psyks
haha, I really don't know since I've only given this about two days thought.

I like the jackson warrior and KE2 shapes, so I may go with a modified version of them. I'll just experiment until I find one that looks good and looks like it'll feel good. I'll also take into account the golden measurment, because from what I've drawn before, it works wonders with the eyes

golden measurement? Whats that?
I can think of the ratios etc... for figure drawing but I don't understand how that applies to guitars?

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
http://community.middlebury.edu/~harris/Humanities/TheGoldenMean.html

here's an explanation of the golden mean (used the wrong word) sorry

basically, it's the ratio that appears all over nature, like plants and stuff, and because it looks so natural, if you use it in designing, it'll look more natural too, which usually looks better.

For example if I measure from one end to another and then use the ratio to put in a knob or switch, or maybe to start tail, and then decide where the cutaway should start, and where it should curve.

It all works out in the end to look awesome and I'm pretty sure if you look at a nice guitar, you'll notice the ratio in it too
Quote by psyks
http://community.middlebury.edu/~harris/Humanities/TheGoldenMean.html

here's an explanation of the golden mean (used the wrong word) sorry

basically, it's the ratio that appears all over nature, like plants and stuff, and because it looks so natural, if you use it in designing, it'll look more natural too, which usually looks better.

For example if I measure from one end to another and then use the ratio to put in a knob or switch, or maybe to start tail, and then decide where the cutaway should start, and where it should curve.

It all works out in the end to look awesome and I'm pretty sure if you look at a nice guitar, you'll notice the ratio in it too

ah, phi

I wouldn't worry about that too much. It may make for a good looking guitar, but i dont think it would make for a very playable one. But hats of to you if you get it to work

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
PHI yay! I knew it was something like that, but I just couldn't place my finger on it!
I'll start drawing things now, or tomorrow and I'll post some ideas that look good when they're done
wat the others said except for the humbucker thing, emg's are wider than normal humbuckers like seymour duncan, most likely it will fit in the cavity but the pickup ring is another story. so before u buy the pickup rings u should ask whether emg's will fit in them or not.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by macaroni
wat the others said except for the humbucker thing, emg's are wider than normal humbuckers like seymour duncan, most likely it will fit in the cavity but the pickup ring is another story. so before u buy the pickup rings u should ask whether emg's will fit in them or not.

No they are not. Your confusing EMGs for 7 strngs and EMGs for 6s.
A 6 string EMG will fit fine in a 6 string rout(as long as its not done to dimarzio spec). However a 7 string or 8 string EMG will require some routing, in which case blackouts would be a better option

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Thats pretty neat...Like a beast and an explorer

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by DagMX
No they are not. Your confusing EMGs for 7 strngs and EMGs for 6s.
A 6 string EMG will fit fine in a 6 string rout(as long as its not done to dimarzio spec). However a 7 string or 8 string EMG will require some routing, in which case blackouts would be a better option

i said it'll fit in the cavity but he has to buy pickup rings that'll fit emg's.

alot of pickup rings dont fit emg's cos their abit wider than standard pickups.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by macaroni
i said it'll fit in the cavity but he has to buy pickup rings that'll fit emg's.

alot of pickup rings dont fit emg's cos their abit wider than standard pickups.

I misread the post then. I apologise

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by DagMX
I misread the post then. I apologise

sall good
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer