I'm not planning to buy one in a while but my question for you UGer's, What is a great first tube amp that is a reasonable price and not superpowered?
It would be running through an epi SG/G-400 and possibly some foot pedals.
Any help is appreciated.
Guitars:
'13 MIM Fender Strat - '05 Epi G-400
Amps:
Fender HRD - VHT Special 6 Ultra -
Jet City JCA20H - Mesa Rectifier 2x12
Pedulz:
Slash Wah - OCD v1.7 - Red Llama MKII -
Big Muff Pi - Carbon Copy - Phase 90 - Ditto Looper
If you want a nice combo, I recommend an ENGL, I tried them today and I almost creamed myself at how good they are
ohai little sig.
Depends how much wattage you really need - is it for gigging or just home practice and jamming? I'd probably go for the Laney VC15 or Fender Blues Junior depending on budget. You could also go used, to get more amp for your money....

What styles do you play?
I play like AC/DC and Led Zeppelin, but NO METAL!!!!!!
i just don't like metal but it would be like in the 800 range probably.
o and by the way i live in the us!!!
Guitars:
Amps:
Pedulz:
The peavey classic 30 looks like a good amp but really how good is it.
and how well would a wah pedal work through it????
Guitars:
Amps:
Pedulz:
What about the Vox AC15CC tube amp?
Are those any good???
Guitars:
Amps:
Pedulz:
Why not save up a bit more and get an AC30, it wouldld be perfect for the tones you're after. But if you don't want to spend so much then the Laney VC15 is great as is the the Peavey classic 30
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Quote by deanguy
try a valve jr

Not loud enough for gettin' over drums, or for gigs - unmiked.

Quote by Bossman123
Why not save up a bit more and get an AC30, it wouldld be perfect for the tones you're after. But if you don't want to spend so much then the Laney VC15 is great as is the the Peavey classic 30

The Laney isn't a good deal in the US.
The AC30 really isn't that great an idea for AC/DC and Zep, honestly. The YCV50 Blue is a better bet, since it's British (in terms of Marshall, not Vox) voiced. Same with a YCV40 with KT77's.
ARE VALVE JUNIOR'S REALLY GOOD OR JUST SEMI GOOD???
cuz they're a really good price for a tube amp.
thanx for the help you guys. it's really making me think
Guitars:
Amps:
Pedulz:
Quote by forsaknazrael

The AC30 really isn't that great an idea for AC/DC and Zep, honestly. The YCV50 Blue is a better bet, since it's British (in terms of Marshall, not Vox) voiced. Same with a YCV40 with KT77's.

I love the AC30 for ACDC and Zep tones, mine really nails them
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Quote by forsaknazrael

Dont I recall Page using the AC30 to record?
He also used a Fender Supro
Quote by Bossman123
I love the AC30 for ACDC and Zep tones, mine really nails them

I guess if it works for you..You'd really have to drive it hard (loud) to get that kind of tone, though.

Quote by DeadMeadow
Dont I recall Page using the AC30 to record?
He also used a Fender Supro

Clearly, you've only cursory knowledge of this.

He used A Supro amp of some sort. Supro is the brand, not the model. It may have been a Supro Thunderbolt, a Corsica, a 1624T. We don't know. He's never specified, only that is was a "small Supro."
Quote by forsaknazrael
Not enough to get over drums....

Maybe not if the drummer is John Bonham but for most a 5W tube amp dimed is plenty loud. When talking perceived volume difference, the way we hear a 5W compared to something like a 15W, the change in volume is minimal. I can't remember the math but it's not as simple as saying a 25W amp is 5 times louder than a 5W amp.

The key to getting volume out of the VJ is pairing a head up with the right cab and speakers. I use my VJ unmiked through 2 10" cabs with Celestion G10D25 speakers and it is plenty loud to use with heavy handed drummers. I had to mic it at the one gig I played with it, mostly because the other guitarist insisted on playing at deafing volumes.

IMO the days of playing with huge stacks of amps are over. Now days even the pros are using small low powered boutique combos that get to the sweet spot and perform well and moderate to low volumes.

I don't gif much but currently I use these.

VJ, modded with tone and gain switched and two 8 ohm outs so I can run two cabs.

Fargen MiniPlex, at 7 or 12W it's loud enough for just about anything except mullet wearing stack toters.

1976 Fender SFDR, at 20W this it louder than I'd like and at some point I will sell it to buy a Princeton Reverb clone.

To the OP, look into the Rivera Pubster, that amp nails the tones you mention. You can view demo vids from the Rivera site.
Well, you're right, the difference between 5 and 15 watts, in terms of volume isn't THAT different. And perhaps, with really efficient speakers, it CAN be enough. But if wer're talking about the combo, which is what the threadstarter was probably going to be looking at..

And then there's also clean headroom. 5 watts is definitely not gonna be enough for that, in most cases.
Peavey classics are great amps.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by forsaknazrael
And then there's also clean headroom. 5 watts is definitely not gonna be enough for that, in most cases.

Good point to bring up, the VJ is only loud enough to hear if it's cranked. By then it sounds like it is ready to explode so getting any cleans out of it are tough though you can roll the volume on the guitar back a bit to clean it up.

Honestly I don't remember what a stock VJ sounds like, mine has been modded to extremes.

Your right combos are the way to go. I think the Rivera stuff is awesome for the money, though I don't know that I would ever buy a PCB construction amp again with all the sweet handwired stuff out there. I'd love to have a Carr Mercury so I can get that 1/10W setting. Talk about no clean headroom.