Well i'm joining the RAF, in fact i'm on the pilot scholarship scheme which means i have to really train hard to be able to cope with the fitness tests the RAF give me.

The requirement is 1.5mile (2.5km) in 12 minutes 11 seconds. However me being very competitive and extremely determined i would like to smash this by 3 mins 11 seconds, making the run in around 9 mins.

The test is on a treadmill so i tried it yesterday afternoon, i did 4 mins at 16km/h then my shoe came off so i paused it, unfortunately i ripped the emergency stop button off causing it to turn off. So i waited for 10 mins and tried again, unfortunately i only managed 6 and a half mins. I'm not very satisfied with that effort at all and i'm wondering if anybody can help me improve?

I'd like to know some tips and advice on running and endurance. What the best method is and any breathing tips.

thanks
Hydration is the most important thing when you're running, cos if you don't have enough water in your system, you're just gonna fail. I know this from running a couple of races where I was dehydrated, had to pull out in both of them.

Your stamina is going to need to be pretty good to do 6 minute miles. Make sure you're running longish distances about 4 times a week at decent speeds (like running for 30 minutes at 10km/h).

For breathing just try and keep it as consistent and as controlled as you can.
Originally posted by TestForEcho
Badreligionrock is the man.

Quote by Pinky19
Badreligionrock you have the greatest avatar of all time. Rejected is the best video. Period.
train your legs with a little weight... not too much though it could cause injuries... hydration is crucial... and a proper breathing technique is a must... inhale throw your nose and let out throw your mouth is a burst...

how much time do you got till this?

edit: on a lighter note... POWERTHRIST WILL MAKE YOU AS FAST AS KENYANS!
Practise running uphill, or stairs. Breathe in through your nose, out through your mouth. Try to build up a constant rhythm with your breathing, I have had the best success with actually pausing (holding your breath) for an honest second and a half between inhaling and exhaling. A six-minute mile is possible, many people can do it in four.
Yeah "many" of the world's very top athletes. Hell, human beings have only been running 4 minute miles for about 40-50 years. Keeping an average running pace of 15 mph for a mile is BRUTAL.

The only way to get better is to keep doing it. Endurance isn't something you get overnight. DO NOT USE LEG WEIGHTS. The benefit is minimal but your risk of ankle injury is exponentially higher.
Hi, I'm Peter
thanks guys, ye i'm going to have another go at it today, i find it hard to drink and run at the same time though strangely so maybe hydration is my weakness.

As for running technique, should i be taking longer or shorter strides?

thanks
Quote by 3nemy
thanks guys, ye i'm going to have another go at it today, i find it hard to drink and run at the same time though strangely so maybe hydration is my weakness.

As for running technique, should i be taking longer or shorter strides?

thanks

You don't need to keep drinking throughout, as long as you are properly hydrated beforehand. It obviously depends on how long you run for but you shouldn't have to drink in 1.5 miles. Just before and after.