Hi guys and gals.

I'm looking for a tube combo around the £400 mark. ($800 roughly)

I play mostly classic rock and hard rock, bit of blues, and a little bit of metal, but it gets no heavier than Maiden.

Wattage isn't a massive factor, as i'm getting a sound proof room built as we speak, but it needs to be loud enough for gigs and band situations.

Cheers.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epiphone EDS-1275
Epiphone Les Paul
Schecter C-1+
Peavey Delta Blues
Perhaps a used Marshall JCM800 combo? Should be perfect for all of that stuff and you should be able to get one for less than £400 on eBay.
Sweet. I didn't think they did a combo version. Thanks for that.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epiphone EDS-1275
Epiphone Les Paul
Schecter C-1+
Peavey Delta Blues
^ I'd take the JCM800 over the DSL401, personally. It just sounds better in my opinion. And you could probably pick a used one up much cheaper.
i got my jcm800 for £325 - as your avatat thingy is guns n roses, i recommend this amp!
Before the bandwagon rolls in, don't get a Laney.

JCM800 is a very good idea. Peavey Classic 30 might do you if you can't find a Marshall.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
^ what's wrong with Laney!?
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat,
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
Yeah, a Classic 30 would be pretty good for what you want.
I'd normally come in recomending a Blues Junior, but I don't think it'll be great at your styles and situation.
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
Quote by This_Kidd
^ what's wrong with Laney!?

Nothing, I own one

But VC30s get endlessly recommended for every chuffing threadstarter in here and it gets on my tits. They're brilliant little amps, but not for everything.

My Music
^ +1

just to throw out an "out-there" suggestion, the grainger hammerhead is quite a nice little head- you should be able to get a 1x12 or 2x12 and still be under budget. Though I suspect the jcm800 is nicer- just keep it in mind if you can't find one. Sound control sell them.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by slashs_#1_fan
i got my jcm800 for £325 - as your avatat thingy is guns n roses, i recommend this amp!

Aye, my personal favs alongside Maiden. I do look to play some GnR in the future.

The masses say JCM so i'll have a snoop around and see what i can find, and i'll also kepp in mind Dave's suggestion.

Cheers.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epiphone EDS-1275
Epiphone Les Paul
Schecter C-1+
Peavey Delta Blues
oh yeah, sound control are selling the peavey windsor head for £200- again you should be able to get a decent 2x12 (that framus one with v30's springs to mind) for £200 and be under budget.

Forgot about that one too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
But! The Windsor doesn't allow for clean tones, so you have to be wary of that fact.
Quote by Denthúl
But! The Windsor doesn't allow for clean tones, so you have to be wary of that fact.

I got usable cleans out of it.

The master was on 0.1, though

My Music
true. EDIT: to denthul.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Nov 17, 2007,
Cleans are quite important, just so you know.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epiphone EDS-1275
Epiphone Les Paul
Schecter C-1+
Peavey Delta Blues
Last edited by (insertnamehere at Nov 18, 2007,
I can't seem to find a JCM anywhere, whether it be used or new. Is it discontinued?
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epiphone EDS-1275
Epiphone Les Paul
Schecter C-1+
Peavey Delta Blues
which one, the 800?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by (insertnamehere
I can't seem to find a JCM anywhere, whether it be used or new. Is it discontinued?

sadly, yes
but you can easily find them on eBay and craigslist
Quote by Mauri_wario
I would indeed "fap that thaing", but my dog is looking at me and it feels highly iinappropriate.
Quote by tbsff_7
good luck with that! if the world have a nuclear war 3 things would survive; cockroaches, twinkies, and boss pedals
Randall RH50T (head) or RG50TC (combo) does all the stuff you said easy, i play heavier metal than maiden though so i have a boost upfront of mine for a bit more gain
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
Used AC30?
Happy, lost and still unaware.
Quote by Alicee
I gave my brother a hand job. It was weird at first. It was weirder after.

Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe & Epiphone ES-335 "Dot"
Laney VC15 + Ibanez TS808

I Don't Play Metal.
^ you'd be hard put to find it for £400. and you'd definitely need a boost
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Dave_Mc
which one, the 800?

Yeah.

I've checked both ebay and craigslist and neither have anything. I guess it's just a question of time and patience.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epiphone EDS-1275
Epiphone Les Paul
Schecter C-1+
Peavey Delta Blues
yeah, it's discontinued. i think there was a reissue, but it's expensive.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Damn.
Peavey Classic it is then.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epiphone EDS-1275
Epiphone Les Paul
Schecter C-1+
Peavey Delta Blues