ok, I know there's a "my fingers hurt"-thread hereby, but my problem is the opposite, so i could'nt find an answer there.

so..

when i'm playing on my bass fingerstyle i have no problems with fingers hurting or such,
but if i want to play with a pick for a little, my hand cramps after 1-2 mins, which hurt like hell.
problem is that even when i stop using the pick my fingers cramp and i can't play nearly close as fast as I normally can without my fingers get "locked", unable to move or bend.

any suggestions? would be glad if anybody had any ideas, I really like the hard "pick-sound" on my bass over the mellow "finger-sound"

and please, no "picks are for n00b's" post
You like it
Firstly, make sure you are holding the pick properly. It is an increadibly underrated skill which does take time to master.

Then, start from the begining, SLOWLY playing scales and chromatic patterns with alternate picking, then bringing in faster and more complex picking motions once your stamina has built up.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
My bet is you're gripping the pick too hard. Loosen up a little bit. It just has to be in there good enough for it to not fall and give you the desired sound against the strings, it doesn't have to be death grip.
yeah, forgot to say. i don't think it's an unnatural position, since i play guitar also, and hold the pick the same way whichever i play. still i don't cramp when playing guitar, and I can't notice that i would tension the hand any extra while playing bass...
You like it
Quote by linus.d
yeah, forgot to say. i don't think it's an unnatural position, since i play guitar also, and hold the pick the same way whichever i play. still i don't cramp when playing guitar, and I can't notice that i would tension the hand any extra while playing bass...

the strings are much thicker.... so you might
Quote by linus.d

I had the same issue when I switched from guitar to bass. Bales is setting you in the right direction, you're probably gripping the pick too hard, esp with the thumb.

Relax your grip and play slowly at first. The problem with us ex-guitarists is that we think our furious picking skills are going to translate immediately to bass--and are surprised when they don't.
I kind of have the same problem but with my fretting hand, I can practice for hours and it be ok, but once I hit the stage with my band, after about the 2nd song my hand goes stiff and I my fingers feel like they just got done lifting weights. I lose all strength in my index and can barely fret a chord with it, let alone play anything fast. Is this psychological? Or is it physical? And what might I do to keep this from happening?
Quote by Chevellefan1
I kind of have the same problem but with my fretting hand, I can practice for hours and it be ok, but once I hit the stage with my band, after about the 2nd song my hand goes stiff and I my fingers feel like they just got done lifting weights. I lose all strength in my index and can barely fret a chord with it, let alone play anything fast. Is this psychological? Or is it physical? And what might I do to keep this from happening?

My guess is that you are tensing up because of the live performance and that with the adrenaline rush of being on stage is causing you to hold your hands and fingers in a tighter position than normal.

My only advise is to try to stay loose on stage and make sure you warm up before you play.
That was was I was inclined to believe. I usually warm up with parts of the songs, about how long should I warm up, and what are some good warmup exercises? thanks
Quote by Chevellefan1
That was was I was inclined to believe. I usually warm up with parts of the songs, about how long should I warm up, and what are some good warmup exercises? thanks

I usually warm up for 15 mins or so, then once I've played for an hour, stop and take a break. Scales are good for warming up and loosening up your hands. Make sure to play them all over the neck in different keys. Also, don't just play scales you're comfortable with like minor pentatonic or whatever, you need to push yourself.
Quote by BassLord
Don't play with a pick

Yep.

Unless you have to, I'd just avoid it. What kind of music do you play, TS?
The.
If you want to use a pick, ignore everyone that says don't. Elitist gits.

Make sure you're holding it correctly. I know there are several acceptable ways to hold a pick, but if you've picked the wrong way, you will get cramps. I did when I first started using one.

Don't dig in. With a pick, you really don't need to, you just need to "clip" the string. Your picking movement should be smooth, the pick should be ever so slightly angled so that it doesn't catch on the strings and impede your picking motion. Don't aim for the string, aim through it. I find that a shallow semicircular trajectory for the pick tip is better than a straight line. Your wrist should be doing all the work, your fingers shouldn't need to be making any effort at all, just enough to hold the pick steady.

Again, even though your picking hand is doing nothing but holding the pick, make sure you're warmed up because if not you will tense up and there lies the cramping problem, most likely.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Hmmm...It could be spasming from overuse, do you have a heavy attack?
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.