So, I'm sure that some of you have heard of the theoretical, "End of the world" occurring in December, 2012.
http://www.greatdreams.com/end-world.htm (for a slight overview)

Anyone have theories, opinions, etc?
Myself, I have one (I didn't make it, but I heard it from a teacher - so no kudos for me, all for my physics teacher):
Earths magnetic poles have been proven to switch polarities at a certain number of years (be it 100 000 or 10 000, I honestly can not remember) (also, has been proven by scientists who have observed domains of iron/nickel/cobalt found in the ground to be pointing in opposite directions in tectonic plates over the space of a large period of time). So, continuing, with this knowledge, I think it could be likely that the, "end of the world" could be classified as this magnetic switch, because as the polarity would be switching, the field surrounding the earth would be so very weak, that the previous protection we had against solar winds, and such, would no longer be present. As solar winds are comprised of radioactive material emanating from solar flares, they could do very dangerous things to human life - genetic mutation being the dominant threat.

That's slightly paraphrased, but I hope the idea is conveyed.
Also, my friend had a slightly less scientific theory:
Ragnarök
The Norsk theory that the gods would have an epic battle that would be the death of all on earth, and creating a brand new earth after everyone had perished.

Anyways
Discuss
1st ever MOD challenge winner
Rush Club Member #5
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join
Member #4 of The Geddy Lee Fan Club
Member #21 of the Steve Irwin Memorial Club, pm Clincher09 to join
My opinion is. Does anyone care anymore?

I'm only 19 and the number of times I've been told the worlds going to end is stupidly high
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
The magnetic switch would kill millions but there is no chance it would be 'the end of the world'. (I'm assuming that by 'The end of the world' you mean the death of all life on the planet).
God, not again.

Ok. The Mayan calendar does not say that the apocalypse will be in 2012. Not at all. Their calendar had cycles and different worlds. December 21 2012 is when their next cycle and next world starts. They signal that between worlds is a time of enlightening and finding, and the new world will bring change but not the apocalypse.
Friends, applaud the comedy is over.

I'd dance with you but...

OK here's whats going to happen:
We're gonna fry.
our atmopheres is gonna give out and get replaced by grren house gasses and Earth is gonna be the next Venus
It's an interesting date and time, though...
21/12/2012 at 11:11 am...

But I don't believe it. If there have already been 4 "ages", what happened at the end of each one? Did everyone die out and a did a new civilisation rise? I doubt anything will happen, and if it does, I hope it's something good.
Well - even if we can't set on a date, that isn't necessarily the most important part of the subject.
Do you think it's possible that something could happen worldwide to encompass the "End of the world?"
1st ever MOD challenge winner
Rush Club Member #5
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join
Member #4 of The Geddy Lee Fan Club
Member #21 of the Steve Irwin Memorial Club, pm Clincher09 to join
Quote by rockon1824
The reason why they chose that date is because the planets are going to be almost aligned. Go look it up on one of those astronomy simulation things. I don't think that means the end of the world, but certainly its a special occurrence.

Well, planets have aligned loads of times.

Magnetic fields have reversed.

Solar activity has gone up and down.

But that's not what killed the dinosaurs.
elevating to a higher form of conscienceness, shedding our earhly bodies, can you dig it?
the way i see it is, unless it's global warming, there's nothing we can do about it, so there's no point worrying.

as a race we're always going to worrying or wondering about something, like where did we come from or how long do we have left. it's just our nature.

gutted @ us.
Dec 21 2012. The date that the search bar will be used. We are doomed.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Anyone ever think that the Spaniards just came and killed the Mayans before they had a chance to finish their calendar?
Biologists have calculated that due to the amount of unprobably twists in the evolution of homo sapiens, humanity will die out in about 8000 years. I've no idea how these calculations work, but it's been done. Also, some super-advanced probability calculations show that homo sapiens have (probably) lived 2/3rds of their species total lifespan.

It's probably not very accurate in any case, but I find these way more likely than any doomsday prophecies.
I'm a communist. Really.
Quote by TomD03
So, I'm sure that some of you have heard of the theoretical, "End of the world" occurring in December, 2012.
http://www.greatdreams.com/end-world.htm (for a slight overview)

Anyone have theories, opinions, etc?
Myself, I have one (I didn't make it, but I heard it from a teacher - so no kudos for me, all for my physics teacher):
Earths magnetic poles have been proven to switch polarities at a certain number of years (be it 100 000 or 10 000, I honestly can not remember) (also, has been proven by scientists who have observed domains of iron/nickel/cobalt found in the ground to be pointing in opposite directions in tectonic plates over the space of a large period of time). So, continuing, with this knowledge, I think it could be likely that the, "end of the world" could be classified as this magnetic switch, because as the polarity would be switching, the field surrounding the earth would be so very weak, that the previous protection we had against solar winds, and such, would no longer be present. As solar winds are comprised of radioactive material emanating from solar flares, they could do very dangerous things to human life - genetic mutation being the dominant threat.

That's slightly paraphrased, but I hope the idea is conveyed.
Also, my friend had a slightly less scientific theory:
Ragnarök
The Norsk theory that the gods would have an epic battle that would be the death of all on earth, and creating a brand new earth after everyone had perished.

Anyways
Discuss

Your friends theory is actually what they believed over here morethen a thousand years ago It's totally gonna happen aswell. Norrøn mytologi ftw.
I think that whole theory is a load of bull. We're all going to die sometime, you cant escape it and if we all go at once then thats the plan. I dont worry about, just keep livin life.
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
wasn't there already a thread for this?

Well the Mayan calendar was only dated as far as December 2012 and people believe that to be a sign of a tragic disaster ending all life on earth. I think it's utter **** and an assumption that the Mayans just didn't think it necessary to keep writing a calendar for many many years beyond when their culture existed.

It's basically your typical "OMGZORZ, Y2K, yOu GuYz!!!!! EEEeeEEEk!!!" **** that people pull because there's a huge lack of spirituality in society these days and instead, we're full of insecurity and feel alone in the world. You'll find that most things in life can be answered by looking at the individual and group psyche in determining where fears like this come from.

...i'm not a psychology minor or anything <.< >.>
Quote by Briyan_15
I think this man has a reputation to defend and "poop head" is not in that reputation.

Quote by omegasus
RUSSELL! WHAT THE ****!!!!
I'm tired of this End of the world fiasco.. I've been hearing those rumors for almost 10 years now and none of those occurred.

1.The second coming would happen in 2000, nothing happened.
2.The antichrist was born in 1983 (according to Orthodox) and will kill the humans.
3.Soon there will be an alien invasion (according to Scientologists) and we'll die.
4.The egyptian abyssic lords such as the Nefelims and the Vahr will rise and devour us whole and after that Ra will appear to give the finishing strike.
5.Mayan calendar fiasco
6.Global Warming
7.Nuclear War
8.Apocalypse
9.Solar Winds and ozone hole causing all kinds of crap
10.Apophis (the commet)
11.Another commet
12.An asteroid was supposedly to hit the earth about 50 years ago thus ending human life.

I can go on but you get the picture.. I'm tired of hearing that the world will end, it's based on religion or astronomers or any other assholes such as the mayas..

It all seems like a domination plot. Each side wants to dominate, it's in our blood, greed and power allways controlled the earth and always will and will create various circumstances and stories for us to believe them..
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
i made a thread about this and it got closed but w/e

12-21-12 will be the day when fall out boy breaks up
Quote by The Spoon
Anyone ever think that the Spaniards just came and killed the Mayans before they had a chance to finish their calendar?

haha
Quote by Child In Time
God, not again.

Ok. The Mayan calendar does not say that the apocalypse will be in 2012. Not at all. Their calendar had cycles and different worlds. December 21 2012 is when their next cycle and next world starts. They signal that between worlds is a time of enlightening and finding, and the new world will bring change but not the apocalypse.

Actually, what happens on 12/21/12 is that the last Mayan cycle ends. The reason they call it the end of the world is because no one knows what is supposed to happen once the final cycle is over. The way they got this date is because they knew that the Earth would be in the center of the galaxy on this date, a place where an evil being resided.

Mayan mythology suggests maybe a flood or something (global warming...) . Others think some sort of new world order will begin. And then there are those who think nothing will happen.
Meh, I plan on being to fucked out of my mind to even know what's going on that day. Although I think if something like in Revelation were to happen, (in a literal sense), it would be cool to just sit back and watch. With the 7 headed beast and such.
If morning's a bitch with open arms, night's a girl who's gone too far.

OMGWTFBBQ
I just think it's because of how the stars were read, nothing really more than that to it. I guess we find out in 5 years.