Hey guys, I'm going to be building a personal recording studio in my basement pretty soon, with the intention to both synthesize electronic music (I plan on purchasing Reason for this purpose) and recording live music (mostly rock and metal).

I want to buy a digital keyboard with which I can play something, and send the MIDI into the computer, with the intention of sending the MIDI through one of Reason's synthesizers to make electronic music.

I'd also like to be able to send MIDI into GP5 with it.

Is it going to be possible to do these things with a keyboard?

I've been looking around and it seems like all the keyboards I've seen have MIDI in, but no MIDI out.

Could someone recommend me a keyboard with decent sound, 16-tone polyphony, and otherwise decent features with a MIDI out port for under $500 or so?

I am by no means a piano player, so I don't care about "perfect grand piano sound" or weighted keys or anything like that.
Member #7 of the "...Still Waiting for the Zombie Holocaust" club. PM Smokey Amp to join.

Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all
Radiate, recognize one silent call
As we all form one dark flame...
Incinerate!
So you are looking for a keyboard and not just a MIDI controller?

For a MIDI controller, I have the E-MU xBoard 49. It was about $170. With more money, I would buy one of the M-Audio Adium series ones or that cool looking Korg Kontrol49.

I really don't know which keyboards you've seen with only MIDI in. I don't think I've ever seen that even on baby keyboards.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
M-Audio is a great brand.

That's just one controller they have to offer. I have a keystation 41 which suits my needs just fine.

Oh, and a word of wisdom, don't limit yourself to Reason's tone generators alone. Get yourself as many synth programs as possible. A soundfont compatible synth, an analogue modelling synth, as well as an intricate multi-timbral synth are all very important.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
ALL keyboards should have a MIDI in and out. Some of the really cheap M-Audio ones don't, which means you shouldn't buy them.

I don't know where you're finding keyboards without MIDI.

You'll also need a MIDI interface for your computer, which in your case would probably just have to be one of these:

http://www.minidisc-canada.com/shopexd.asp?id=708

Nothing too fancy.

As far as the controller itself goes, a simple keyboard with pitch and mod wheels might be fine for awhile, but having some assignable knobs and faders is pretty nice.
Quote by sargasm
ALL keyboards should have a MIDI in and out. Some of the really cheap M-Audio ones don't, which means you shouldn't buy them.

What? Show me.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
behringer u-control.... if your on a budget... why pay 500 when you can pay 200 it does the same thing if its just for basic stuff... if you want a grand piano feel your gonna have to upgrade though
thats not quite MIDI in and out.. but yeah that'll work with reason, etc.
MBOX2 - PRO TOOLS LE 7.3.1 - CUBASE SX3 - REASON 4
ATTACK_DECAY_SUSTAIN_RELEASE_
Quote by sargasm

Ohh, no MIDI ports, but it can still send MIDI data over USB. So if you want that keyboard to control MIDI devices it still can as long as you have a computer with MIDI outs to route the signal.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by Muphin
Ohh, no MIDI ports, but it can still send MIDI data over USB. So if you want that keyboard to control MIDI devices it still can as long as you have a computer with MIDI outs to route the signal.

Hmm didn't think of that

It would still be nice to be able to control MIDI devices without requiring a computer in-line. I am going to have to buy a new controller eventually, but for more reasons than just the I/O. I just bought that one as a temporary thing until I had enough monies for a better one anyway.