My problem is...ive been playing for 12 years and can play pretty good i know lots of scales lots of songs and can move around the fretboard nicely but i have no idea how to use scales to make riffs or solos. they say dimebag used the blues scale in lots of his music i can play lots of pantera and love it but i dont see the blues scale in any of it. i just dont see it and its killin' me. how the hell does the penetonic or blues scale which i can play with lightening speed get turned into a unique piece? i understand wwhwwwh and how chords are made but when i play the g major i dont see wwhwwwh at all, i do on one string but when its applied to all six strings i dont see it. If anyone can make sense on this me and my guitar would be eterninally gratefull.
That's no surprise, because that WWH-System sucks like nothing else. I reccomend switching to this one:

Major/ionian: 1 2 3 4 5 6 j7
Dorian: 1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7
Phrygian: 1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
Lydian: 1 2 3 #4 5 6 j7
Mixolydian: 1 2 3 4 5 6 b7
Aeolian: 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
Locrian: 1 b2 b3 4 b5 b6 b7

etc.

Remember:
dorian 6th
phrygian 2nd
lydian 4th
mixolydian 7th

Takes some effort to relearn, but makes visualizing MUCH easier.

Now to making riffs out of scales: That's a more complicated one. Learn diatonic theory, it will help you with how intervals relate to tension. Listen to Mozart. Try to make simple melodies, don't worry when they sound cheesy, you'll pass this soon. Or take a pantera riff and change it's elements. It will help to develop an ear for that.
^ seconded.

Äh, Sie wollen also mit Schlitz.
Last edited by Philipp Sobecki at Nov 17, 2007,
Im thinking he means that the dorian has a variation on the 6th of the scale, phrygian on the 2, etc, etc. I dont know, thats just a guess, but I dont see why you would remember those and not just the modes. That just adds stuff.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
justin: Yeah, that's right. Maybe it's subjective, but it made memorizing modes easier for me (all these numbers seem to be overwhelming at the beginning, so these are the most important)

Rocker: What?
^ seconded.

Äh, Sie wollen also mit Schlitz.
Just because something is based on a particular scale, doesn't mean that those are
the only notes you'll see used in solo.

I'd suggest you just don't really understand scales all that well. If you try and think
in scale formulas, note names, or whole/half steps while you're actually playing
the music will have passed you by by the time you actually get your bearings. I
don't think that kind of linear thinking can ever be fast enough for actual playing.

Ever see a fretboard diagram of a scale covering the entire board? That's usually
what I'm "seeing". Super-imposed on top of that is all kinds of stuff like triads,
scale degrees, patterns I've worked out, licks... Additionally that whole pattern can
change as the chords change.

Anyway, this is a huge topic. What really helped me understand and see scales
so much better was a book of nicely organized scale studies called "Sheets of Sound"
You might want to try that.
Dimebag has used the blues scale. You know the beginning riff to "Cowboys from hell", *ding ding* that is the E Blues Scale.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
ill check out that book. thanks. i took theory when i was 14 and had a better understanding of it all then vs. now. i know its all there waiting to click in my head and explode. ill get it thanks again..