So Ive been on a bass hunt to replace my thunderbird (epiphone) and I watched a youtube vid of someone playing a carvin bass. I loved the tone there! It was a Carvin LB70P 4 stringer.The price range is way out of mine being that I am not yet able to get a real job...yet.I need help trying to put together a cheap carvin bass.I was thinking to get a cheap peavey like this http://cgi.ebay.com/PEAVEY-CIRRUS-5-STRING-BASS_W0QQitemZ300172974027QQihZ020QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And put in some Carvin pickups.

You can probably tell Im a begginner at this so all hellp will be apprichiated.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
I've heard nothing bad about Cirrus. I'd go for it.

Hell, I'd buy it if I was interested in buying one.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by c3powil
So Ive been on a bass hunt to replace my thunderbird (epiphone) and I watched a youtube vid of someone playing a carvin bass. I loved the tone there! It was a Carvin LB70P 4 stringer.The price range is way out of mine being that I am not yet able to get a real job...yet.I need help trying to put together a cheap carvin bass.I was thinking to get a cheap peavey like this http://cgi.ebay.com/PEAVEY-CIRRUS-5-STRING-BASS_W0QQitemZ300172974027QQihZ020QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And put in some Carvin pickups.

You can probably tell Im a begginner at this so all hellp will be apprichiated.

Cirrus basses aren't cheap, just FYI. They can get pretty pricey, so I wouldn't bet on getting that bass for really cheap - maybe a good price, but not cheap.
Well i was just saying like that the bid was 200-300 so I consider that cheap.
And yes I know that that aint the real price Im more like going for a peavey grind body.

if I use a body like that how would I get a carvin sound?Is all I need to do is just put in some carvin pikups or doo i need to do more?
Why don't you just edit your posts instead of double posting all the time?

And the sound isn't ALL in the bass - I'm sure you could get a similar tone with a stock Cirrus. They're very good basses, so if you EQ yourself right, you could probably get a similar tone.

AFAIK, Carvins are all customizable, so one will not sound like another anyway.
What double post!?!?!?!
Quote by c3powil
What double post!?!?!?!

You tricky bastard.

Anyways, I'm not an expert on Carvins, but refer to my previous post.
Ok, so what would be the best and cheapest way(400-600$) to get the same tone.
Or could I just get a used carvin for that price?
Quote by Jugband Blues
uhhh.... It says on the comments that he used chorus, reverb, and compression.

I figured that the TS knew that, but now that you mention it....

The "lush" and "full" sound of the bass is from a slight chorus and reverb effect, so the dry bass doesn't sound like that.

For $400-$600... are you just saying for a bass or an amp also?
For $400-$600... are you just saying for a bass or an amp also?

Nope,Just a bass.I'm pretty happy with my crate bt25 since I wont be doing any giging.

And to Indianrockstar,

Well, I would, but I think I'd prolly screw it up.
Does anyone know how hard it is?

Edit: Wait a second! If I was going to get a peavey and put carvin pickups in it then that would require the same amount of work.Hhhmmmmm...
Does anyone know any other companies that offer bass building packages?
Also, would the quality be the same as any other carvin of the same kind?
Last edited by c3powil at Nov 18, 2007,
Heck yes!
So what could I do to make my own bass?
Could I get a warlock body and get the same sound as I would with a carvin build?
If so, what would be the best wood,and would I be able to put everything on the carvin in the warlock bod?
Dang...this is just plain awesome.
Jesus christ, stop going on with the "Carvin sound" thing. You're not going to sound exactly the same as him, unless you have exactly the same gear as him.
Sorry,sorry im just wrapped up in the moment of exitement when I realized that I could make my own bass without the big price.

what I mean is, If I want a "good sound" thats verry versitile,maby like a fender jazz or a carvin,if i just wanted to get close to that sound,but with a warlock body I need to know everything.
what kind of wood?
What kind of pickups?
What kind of neck?
What else would I need?

Agin, please exuse my noobishness.
And verry expinsive!
Hmmm...guess Ill just go with the carvin pak.
Would I be better off building a 600 dollar carvin for only 400 or should I get a fender jazz?
By the way, threadstarter, that's not a cheap Peavy bass. There's a lot of auction time left. I guess that bass will go well over a thousand - and at that point, you can get a real deal made-to-order Carvin.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I know.Ive only been playin 4 liek a year or so.
Edit: Ok,ok so the real thing here is,
I wanted to get the same carvin sound as the dood in the u tube vid but I now realize that isnt happening.But if I wanted a real cheep version carvin I could just build it muhself and buy a pak.I now wonder...If I happened to put the bass together without any problems which would i have a better life with?
Fender standard jazz or
Carvin bass B-4 pack.
Quote by FbSa
If you really want the carvin buy the carvin. I'd suggest trying them out before you buy though.

Unless dude lives in SoCal, he's probably not going to get his hands on a Carvin.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Ive never seen a carvin bass in any music store ive been to.
I swear, this/these is/are the last question(s).

Is this bass good for slapping once I put it together,and where or how could I get it painted?