I went to the guitar shop today..They deal with line6 and Vox,so i gave the tonelab LE a try. It was very nice honestly and it had very nice tube-sounding emulations, especially in overdrive for stuff like SRV. The metal distortion is also not bad.. For stuff like metallica and sabbath etc.

But i didnt have time to try the Pod XT Live. I heard that it had more variety(more amps, cabs etc) but tonewise the Tonelab is better.

Which is the best for a versatile clean/OD/heavy dist kinda thing? Somedays i feel like playing metal but some days i just play lighter stuff.

EDIT: I played thru my guitar amp and my own guitar.
Gear
MIJ Fender '57 Stratocaster
Vox AD15VT
PodXT Live
Last edited by zizou510 at Nov 17, 2007,
Did you try it through your Vox? Because modeling amps like the vox have a tendency to not work very well with pedals, especially distortions. I suggest you try it through your amp if you haven't already.

As for the question, i can't give any insight really as I've never tried the Tonelab and when I tried the POD I had no idea wtf I was doing
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I own the Tonelab SE (older version). Couldn't be happier. Go with the Vox for sure. Much more organic.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
How do i add a poll?
Gear
Vox AD15VT
PodXT Live
It would be much better if you got a new amp, instead.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
I'm a PodXT man. Super versitile, very easy to use, and musical if you spend the time to tweek and build your own presets.
I am getting a new amp but its more costly and my dad doesnt want me to buy it till i free up some space.

Can the tonelab handle metal by itself (no amp gain and no other pedals boosting).
Gear
Vox AD15VT
PodXT Live
My Vox DA 20 sounds great with the Pod XT Lve, but you have to bypass the preamp of the Vox. After that it's one of the most versatile amps I could ask for and has a pretty decent tone from Blues to Metal.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Both seem equally matched..I dont know how to choose one over the other.
Gear
Vox AD15VT
PodXT Live
Hey all..

I heard some comments that the Tonelab loses to the PodXT live for Hi-gain stuff..

How do you think the tonelab will fare when playing metallica kinda stuff?
Gear
Vox AD15VT
PodXT Live
i'd go with the PODxtLive, its confusing at first, the presets are garbage, but give you an idea of what it can do, but thats just the surface really. the Pilot handbook of a manual is a must read to really get it to sound its best. i gig with mine, record with mine, im considering tossing it down a flight of stairs so i can buy the PodX3Live though.(it has to be destroyed to convence my wife to let me get the new one...now...which child of mine can i blame for the tossing!)
http://www.myspace.com/wolfblackblues
Sometimes i walk outside and stare at the Sun and sigh at its massive beauty, a Glowing Beacon of Light. Then i begin to see spots...My Eyes Burn, Retinas begin to become Torched!....Sometimes i Hate the Sun...
Im planning to play thru an amp more than use it to record.. Does it sound abit "fake" on some settings?
Gear
Vox AD15VT
PodXT Live
well its not just for recording, unless you get the plain PodXt instead of PODxtLive, it has good points and bad points, some amp models try to model tube breakup like the VoxAc30 amp, and it does bad at that. the marshall type models dont sound as good as a real marshall. those are the only two fakes i consider. the fender type amp models, the jazz roland model, and some of the high gain models sound really nice, but that really depends on what you are hooking it up to. into the input of any guitar amp will color the tone, and it could give bad results or ok results. best sound for the PODs are either an FX loop or a FlatFrequency Response type amp or PA.

for my crunch sounds in my band, i mostly use the Soldano amp model and the Roland Jazz Chorus for cleans.
http://www.myspace.com/wolfblackblues
Sometimes i walk outside and stare at the Sun and sigh at its massive beauty, a Glowing Beacon of Light. Then i begin to see spots...My Eyes Burn, Retinas begin to become Torched!....Sometimes i Hate the Sun...
No wonder that they plug the podxtl thru monitors at the guitar shop..

I shall pop by and test the podxtl this week.. Tonelab is a tad more affordable.. ($100+ SGD less)..

I hope the price of the XTL decreases after the X3L comes out.
Gear
Vox AD15VT
PodXT Live
The sale is in 1 weeks time.!

And i havent decided on which to get..

Which one is more versatile? Cos i play a mix of heavy and light stuff..Mostly heavy but depends on my mood.

Pls comment and aid my decision.
Gear
Vox AD15VT
PodXT Live