I am looking to do some amatuer recording, and am considering both the X3, with a Shure 47 to record with my real amp (a Fender Deville 410) once in a while, or a interface around 400$ with the same mike. However, with the X3, I would get a lot of effects and amp models that I would otherwise have no access to, while as with a interface and a mike, I would only be able to use my real amp, my accoustic instruments, and be able to record at a probably higher quality.

My question is, what do you guys think? Is the difference between the X3 USB recording and a 400$ firewire interface that different, especially at my level? I could probably find mixing software somewhere, anyway.

The X3 would have a couple of slightly handy functions on top of the recording, like being able to practice without running my tube amp, and making my own effects and hopefull string simulations and such.. I don't really need a multi-effect for much more than recording, though.

Thanks for reading!
I dunno, you could go with the X3 and have all those effects just cause, and it probably records very well. I don't own it, but I plan to get one. I'm not a recording pro, so I'll wait to see what others say.
That's what I am hoping, but I'd like to hear an experienced opinion on the difference in recording quality between a X3 and an interface around the same price. Is it very noticable?
"I am looking to do some amatuer recording,"
For recording that doesn't need to be "top notch" I suggest the X3 product.

I'm sure it will record well enough for your needs and for the price I can't imagine it not working well.
I think the Line 6 Pod is a great tool for recording. A lot of people make comments about the sound versus miking a real amp, but the sounds you can create with it are endless, which makes it very effective for demoing, and trying to come up with the basic ideas, you can begin to build good ideas of what sounds work and what sounds don't.

I say, if you plan on primarily micing up your amp, the POD is useless, the idea behind the POD is so that you don't have to mike an amp, that the POD would act as a substitute. I can't speak on quality difference, but I'm sure you can find an interface with better mic pres, or even a a mic pre and an interface, that outdoes the one in the POD.
But the X3 recording sound is definately not cheap or anything? In terms of recording quality, isn't there a kb/s number for the X3? I think good quality studio songs are 64-124 kb/s?
Get an audio interface. Then buy preamps and some mics. It's much more fun this way, and a better investment as you can always expand on this setup.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Couldn't software technically do the same things a preamp could? Unless it was a tube or anolog preamp? Excuse this question >.>

Also, anyone have an clips from miking an amp through an X3? Or just recording with an X3 in general?
A preamp amplifies the signal coming out of a microphone, as it is of a very low level. Software cant really do this. And You saying unless it was a tube or analog preamp is kind of a contradiction, because one, all preamps are analog.

Also kb/s is not an audio measurement, thats a data transmission measurement. You're thinking of the audio sample rate which is in kHz, which is just the amount of samples per second you are able to capture. You should keep in mind an audio CD is 44.1 Khz. Some people prefer to capture at a higher sample rate, for processing purposes during mix down, but in the end everything is going to end up at 44.1.

I think you're over complicating yourself here. The fact of the matter is, the Line 6 POD is an amp modeler. Sure they are expanding the products horizons a bit, but if you don't plan to use it as an amp modeler it wouldn't make sense to buy it.
I am planning to use the amp models, but only for recording. I just want the option of miking up and recording with my real amp, as well, since my Fender has very nice cleans.

Thanks for clarifying the samples for second issue. Do you know the sample rate of a X3, or a typical interface?

You said that all preamps are anologue, but I would say a Pod is a kind of preamp/interface, and it is definately digital, right?
Quote by Harwood
I am planning to use the amp models, but only for recording. I just want the option of miking up and recording with my real amp, as well, since my Fender has very nice cleans.

Thanks for clarifying the samples for second issue. Do you know the sample rate of a X3, or a typical interface?

You said that all preamps are anologue, but I would say a Pod is a kind of preamp/interface, and it is definately digital, right?

The preamp in the interface is analogue. The signal coming from your guitar or microphone is an analogue signal, the preamp boosts it and then the device converts that signal to ones and zeros and transfers the digital signal down the USB cable to your machine.

I'll say it again, go for a preamp-less interface. You'll get more versatility and better converters.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by Harwood

The preamp is always analog, just like any interface there is going to be an A/D converter, which will convert the analog signal to a digital one. I guess that may not always be the case cause you'll find the big studios using separate converters.

I know on my POD XT Live the highest sample rate is 96Khz, with a 24-Bit Bit Rate,which is about standard for most audio interfaces out there. You'll find some of the higher end ones will go up to 192Khz and above, but as far as I'm concerned its useless to you, and only means bigger file sizes. I wouldn't even suggest recording at 96 Khz, unless you see a particular need to. According to the line 6 website the X3, is 24 Bit, but that is about it, I am going to assume it is the same as my older model in that it is 96 Khz.

Hope that helps clear things up.

If you need the occasional option mic up an amp the X3 looks like it should do the job. So by all means go for it.
Alright, do mikes for both singing and instruments use the same preamps, or are there guitar, accoustic instrument, and vocal preamps?
Thanks a lot. I guess I might aas well spring for the X3, as it'll give me a bit of a feel for recording, effects, and mixing, and I can take it from there. Later on, when I have a decent crunch amp and such, I can try out an interface and the like.
Quote by Harwood
Alright, do mikes for both singing and instruments use the same preamps, or are there guitar, accoustic instrument, and vocal preamps?

A mic is a mic, so a preamp is a preamp. It only comes down to what character a certain preamp and mic add to the sound to make it desirable in certain applications.
I'd just like to add that it would be a crying shame not to mike up a clean fender amp with a lovely condensor mike.