Im watching this zep concert on TV and I noticed robert plant has two mics, one taped to the bottom of the other? Why do they do this and what does each mic do? I have seen it before too, i just dont understand.

If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.
Most likely to be louder!

Free once did a festival on the isle of wight and they didnt have a huge PA, so they hooked up to about 10 amps each, and Rogers had about 10-12 mics all strapped together into seperate PA's
Quote by Nemesis260
police is logical. or do your duty and rape him back

GEAR:
Laney BH150
Marshall B150
Line6 Spider II 15
BOSS HM-2 Heavy Metal (80's!)
Epi SG Special
Peavey Milestone III
I've always thought it was part of a system against feedback and picking up other miscellaneous band noise

(eg: he only songs into one of the mics, and the other mic has its phase reversed, so after combing the signals, everything but the vocal cancels out)

or one is for recording and one is for the PA or something
There are also different mics for different situations, much like a photographer has different lenses.
WTLTL 2011
they could have one for regular vocals the have the other for a vocal FX mic. The second mic could be EQ'd weird or have weird flangers or phasers on it.
Jack White did a song on Jools Holland with 4 mics. One went thru the left speaker, one thru the right, and one thru both. The forth one was hooked up to both speakers i think. Zepp might have it like that to do Stereo vocals. idk for sure tho.
I always assumed that one mic was used to record the performance. Technology was shitty back then...
Quote by count schizo
I think we should take a second out to flame him anyways. I mean we're already here.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
Only a misguided youth seeking something to take up the space below their post would sig me

^ Yep, that sounds about right.
Ahhh, you young 'uns.
This is from a time long ago, before we made everything simple on stage with 'stereo systems' and 'integrated recording' called the early 70s
If there's just two mics, it's likely that one was for one side of the stereo effect and the other would be for the other side.
Three mics means the gig was being recorded so everyone has another mic going to the seperate recording system.
The guitarist would have two mics on his guitar amp, one to the main sound system or 'PA' as we call them nowadays and the other to a mobile studio, usualy in the back of a van or truck outside the venue.
So the singer would have three, two to create a stereo effect and a third for recording.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Nov 17, 2007,
I always thought it was like one mic to record the gig, and one to actually make you louder.

=]

EDIT.

Ian Curtis of Joy Division used to have 2 mics too. One for the front where the band are, and the producer, Martin Hannett, would put another PA at the back of the room and every no and again up the Reverb on the vocals to give an "eery" feel. They only used this effect on 4-5 gigs though. It is rumoured to have been used on the live album "Still" most noticably on "A Means To An End" in the chorus.
Last edited by gallagher2006 at Nov 17, 2007,
I assume one is just a normal microphone and the other has some kind of effect on it.
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.

Quote by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Xbox Live GT: VRSlashGnR
One mike has effects, one is normal. It's easier just having one ready on the setting you want than ****ing about with effects
NO ONE EVER READS MY POSTS.
Recording the show live I would think.
Third out in the MOD contest '08.
I've got this nifty old mic, looks like a CB radio mic, but I've got it wired up with an XLR jack, and it gives this wierd scratchy effect....the band I was playing with would leave it hanging off a mic stand and the vocalist would use it sometimes for effect....
Slacker Babbath seems likely to be correct in this case, but the effect thing also works. Watch Nickelback live, and you'll see that Chad has an extra mic on his stand next to the regular one, it's this extra one that's used for those compressed-sounding backing vocals that Nickelback use a lot (for example, on the chorus of "Figured You Out")
Quote by adamrandall
ahh yes SRV. i got the intro on texas flood (easy) and then he's like twangledoodleblopdebloo dun dun dun dun DA dun DA and im like *dead*.

The Unholy plays a Jackson Warrior X through a Metal Muff

Squigglymetal!
Quote by TheUnholy
Slacker Babbath seems likely to be correct in this case, but the effect thing also works. Watch Nickelback live, and you'll see that Chad has an extra mic on his stand next to the regular one, it's this extra one that's used for those compressed-sounding backing vocals that Nickelback use a lot (for example, on the chorus of "Figured You Out")

Yeah, they didn't really have many live vocal effects back in the day. (late 60s-early 70s) They had 'loop tape' echo effects called 'copy cats' and 'spring reverbs' (literally made out of a long spring) and 'plate reverbs' which worked like a spring reverb but with a plate of metal instead of the spring) but all of these were really studio effects because they could be quite bulky instruments in those days, remember, most amps were still run with valves in those days.