I'm just curious. I know it will usually cause damage to the amp, but I just wonder as to why it causes damage. The specifics of it, basically.

Help is appreciated. Had a concept about modifying a guitar amp, need to know this first.
Bass speakers and cabs are built much differently than guitar ones, and the extra bass might damage the speaker or overload the preamp on a SS amp.
as far as i know the guitar amp cant handle the lowest frequencies of a bass other than that idk.
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
Wel, guitar amps arent made to amplify the lower frequencies, so you could possibly overload them and kill it, or at least, theyd sound pretty appalling, that and the speakers arent made to work around that frequenice either. So farewell amp.
a bass is different from a guitar. strings are heavier, wider, thicker. the sound dynamics of a bass guitar are different from those of a reagular electric guitar.

thats pretty much the easiest answer lol
dont try it! my amp sounds different after i took a 15w amp and put a bass with active pickups through it, it sounds weirder?
the speaker is made of a paper cone, and the low ends of a bass can rip the speaker of a guitar amp, a bass amp is made to withstand it though. thank u mythbusters for this knowledge about paper cones
My Gear:
Fender '72 Tele Thinline Deluxe Reissue
Vox Night Train 15W
Most importantly, the speakers are not built to handle bass frequencies. Even noticed how bassists need at least 15" speakers to really pump out low end?

A bass will slowly destroy a guitar amp, making it useless for guitar, and sounding awful for bass from the start, as it simply is not built to handle the power bass frequencies require.

Also, thing like the EQ on a guitar amp is set for a guita, so will not work properly with bass.

In short, spend £50 on a cheap bass amp, it will sound better with bass than a £1000 guitar stack.

just be glad you didn't ask this in the bass forum.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Alright, thanks everybody.

So then, a bass would eventually damage the circuitry of the guitar amp as well, even if one were to put a bass speaker into a guitar amp (if that's possible)?
Well, I don't think there's any way to know for sure. It might not, or it might. I'd guess it wouldn't hurt the circuitry, but I can't say for sure.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
The main problem is the speakers. I've played bass thru guitar heads connected to a bass cab with decent results. The Fender Bassman started out as a bass amp, and it spawned other amps like the Marshall Plexi and Traynor YBA-1 (a bass amp that sounds great for guitar!). All three are very similar internally, and work with both guitar and bass. Orange Thunderverbs are designed for guitar or bass, too; connected to the appropriate cab.

It really depends on what amp your dealing with.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by Wulver
Alright, thanks everybody.

So then, a bass would eventually damage the circuitry of the guitar amp as well, even if one were to put a bass speaker into a guitar amp (if that's possible)?

Actually, it won't damage the circuitry. How will slower oscillations in the current damage the components?

It will however, sound rubbish.

Just get a nice sized Bass combo and be done with it.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
well, no, my issue here is that the family is tight on money at the moment. If figured my best chance of getting a new amp would be to get something my Dad could also make use of, and he plays bass. Now, my research has turned up next to no inexpensive tube bass amps, so I had the concept of buying a tube guitar amp and buying a bass speaker to replace the original.

so far, it seems that won't work. Not well, at least.