I wanna make a chord progression to improvise over, but the ones i make sound...dull . So was gonna ask what you all do to make a awesome sounding progression. Any tips will be appreciated !
try taking a song u alrteady like that has some simple progression, like Once Upon Ur Dead Body by Coheed and Cambria. Figure out the key, then try out different scales in that key, mostly minor or minor penatonics for that song i think. or maybe u need a full band backing track that has bass and drums in it as well.
  F#m7  ¦  C#m7  ¦  D  ¦  E7  ¦  A  

i just made that up, i would use F#m or Amaj to play over it.

ed- in fact that is probably the boring type of progression you are talking about.
maybe just use the first 2 chords, you can use A major and it will sound nice and minor over those 2 chords.
Last edited by branny1982 at Nov 17, 2007,
I took some progressions that were posted on some thread a while back in here and recorded me playing them so i could make my own little jam/improvising tracks. I can post them if you want.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Or just find out how to work out chords in keys. okay you take the root note. for example C maj. Okay take the first note C then move a tone up to D then a tone up to E then a semi-tone upto F, then an tone up to G then a tone upto A then a tone up to B then a semi-tone upto C.

So it goes tone,tone,semi-ton,tone,tone,tone,semi-tone.

so in C maj theres is..... C,D,E,F,G,A,B,C. C maj is a good place to start as there are no sharps/flats in this key. Then you need to find out the qualities in a key which for maj is maj,min,min,maj,dom7/maj,min,dim. I think but im not sure on qualities, but the rest is true

Hope it helps!
Quote by bass wizard
Or just find out how to work out chords in keys. okay you take the root note. for example C maj. Okay take the first note C then move a tone up to D then a tone up to E then a semi-tone upto F, then an tone up to G then a tone upto A then a tone up to B then a semi-tone upto C.

So it goes tone,tone,semi-ton,tone,tone,tone,semi-tone.

so in C maj theres is..... C,D,E,F,G,A,B,C. C maj is a good place to start as there are no sharps/flats in this key. Then you need to find out the qualities in a key which for maj is maj,min,min,maj,dom7/maj,min,dim. I think but im not sure on qualities, but the rest is true

Hope it helps!

Yeah you're right, for triads it's maj, min, min, maj, maj, min, dim. For 7th chords its: maj7, min7, min7, maj7, dom7, min7, min7b5 (half diminished)
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
RTFS, it has great information on chord progressions.

As for me, I think about how I want it to sound and how I want it to move. Then sit down at the piano or with my acoustic and try to figure out whats in my head. This is where music theory helps a lot.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Well, other than what's been mentioned already, feel free to use things like Neapolitan chords. It's a major chord formed with the 2nd degree flattened by a half step as the root in either a major or minor key. So in C major it would be Db major. Also, seventh chords help a lot.