So I've never really cared much about this technique, but i've been talking to this one guy who i might jam with in the future so I'm like "Wow, I really should work on my technique". I've been confused about tremelo picking though. Is it just "pick as fast as you can"? Also when people tremelo pick, do (on average) they normally play tripplets, 16th notes, or what? It probably doesn't seem important, but I've gotten used to accenting the down beat when I'm playing faster stuff..

i hope that made sense. i'm really tired and so i can't think so well.
Pretty much, it is picking as fast as you can. I don't think it necessarily has to be in time with the tempo though.

Hope I was of some help.
It all makes sense
We're capable of beauty
Through sounds that make on cringe
The dogs only hear us now

You don't think it has to be in time with the tempo?

Lol. It's going to sound bad if it isn't.
Quote by spartan 118
Pretty much, it is picking as fast as you can. I don't think it necessarily has to be in time with the tempo though.

Hope I was of some help.

yeah but you're still picking some type of rhythm..
Tremolo picking is fast alternate picking on a single note. Usually in 16ths or 16th triplets. Or 32nds. Depends on the tempo of course. If you're playing 4 notes in one measure, that is, quarter notes, it might not sound very energetic, or it might sound out of place in a high-tempo song. So you keep the 4 notes and instead of picking 4 times you pick 16 times - that's tremolo picking.
Basically you want to pick as fast as you can while still being in control of the pick. You don't want to accidentally hit the adjacent string or drop your pick or something.
i've never liked the sound of it on a guitar, nomatter how you divide the notes, but on mandolin it's an essential, and i use it widely on it, and it sounds absolutely beautiful,
and i love doing it, because you can have so much control over just 1 note (it's supposed to sound like one stretched note)
for example you can have it getting a little louder as it rings, by digging a little deeper or by going faster or by a combination of those 2. you do have to stay in time, but try this, start by 16ths, and end in 32nds over the span of lets say 1 meassure (regular tempo (like 140)) and don't give a sh#t about the middle, you'll find it still sounds great.

that's just one thing you can do with it, the best thing is to keep experimenting with it whenever you feel like it for some days or weeks, and figure out what sounds good to you and what doesn't, repeat the ones you like every day and explain yourself why the ones you don't like don't sound good, it'll help you avoid them in the future, and help you find good sounding ones ..

now when you've got some good ones, start using them in songs, like replace every note that's 1 beat or longer by a tremolo picked one.. as an exercise, in a short while you'll figure when it sounds best and when you don't want it around..

oh, i didn't even think of the obvious, keep an eye on your counting, use a metronome if you're having trouble with it, and mind the accents (you can play with them too, can completely change the feel of your stretched note)
one way of playing with them is starting the note onthe beat, but just as soft as a previous unaccented note, and let the accent come offbeat, and slowly diminish the loudness in the trem. so it becomes as soft as it first was. (the lenght of the note and thus the time you have, to slow down, changes the whole sound of it, so you might want to stretch the note in a division of 2 beats)
1953 Epiphone zephyr
1988 PRS custom 24
1960 Moon oct. mandolin
Last edited by Funkicker at Nov 22, 2007,