MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
well, you can either buy a new tuner, or be fretting notes when you tune... like if you know you want your one string to be an F, just play the second fret on that string until the tuner says "G."
well i dont have a very well trained ear and a crappy tuner, non chromatic of course
bunk! :\ i just had my guitar reset and i bought new strings.... kinda out of money
Quote by pLx
how the hell do i tune to A# F A# D# G C ? my tuner does'nt have a f or c

Chromatic tuner, keyboard, find a tuning website. Or just tune one of the strings that your tuner does have and ear match the rest to it.
Quote by pLx
the song is until the end

honestly, just tune your guitar to Drop D or Drop D/Half Step Down. You dont need to tune down that goddamn low. it just sounds a semitone higher.
Quote by Gunpowder
The Pit is to intelligence what a black hole is to light; it's devoid of reason and logic, and nothing can escape it's shadowy depths. Once you enter, you cannot leave.
Quote by Shredder Guitar
honestly, just tune your guitar to Drop D or Drop D/Half Step Down. You dont need to tune down that goddamn low. it just sounds a semitone higher.

thats a really good point
The Dude abides
well i have it tuned to drop D right now ( DADGBE ) and it doesnt sound even close
Quote by pLx
firggin, please elaborate

your tuner will probably only tune to E, B, G, D and A. The notes in music always go in a set order... the entire order is this:

A, A#, B, C, C#, D, D#, E, F, F#, G, G#, A, etc...

there's no B# and no E#... you just have to accept that as the way it is.

anyways, if you play your open A string without fretting anything, you are playing A. Therefore, the first fret is A# and the second fret is B, and so on... so if you needed to tune to a note that isn't on your tuner, you could tune while fretting higher notes. if you tune your string so that the second fret plays a G, then counting backwards will show that your first fret is F# and your open string is now an F.

If you need C, tune your second fret to D. If you need A#, tune your first fret to B.
Quote by Shredder Guitar

yeah, because it always sounds SO good to play along to records when you're a half-step out of tune with the entire band...

Quote by pLx
well i have it tuned to drop D right now ( DADGBE ) and it doesnt sound even close

so? just because i like job for a cowboy and meshuggah it doesnt mean i want to tune my guitar down to A# and F. get a grip, the notes might be higher, but youre playing the same damn thing.
Quote by Gunpowder
The Pit is to intelligence what a black hole is to light; it's devoid of reason and logic, and nothing can escape it's shadowy depths. Once you enter, you cannot leave.
in flames tunes that low too
on come clarity
Quote by Kensai
Girls don't have to do anything to be good in bed. If she's got a pulse she's automatically an 8.

Quote by frigginjerk
yeah, because it always sounds SO good to play along to records when you're a half-step out of tune with the entire band...

yeah, shut up.

not all people like to sit there and play along to a CD.
And what if the kid wants to play stuff thats not tuned down to the depths of hell? everything else will sound like ****. so stop being such a smartass.
Quote by Gunpowder
Quote by Shredder Guitar
yeah, shut up.

And what if the kid wants to play stuff thats not tuned down to the depths of hell? everything else will sound like ****. so stop being such a smartass.

I sense overtones of schizo...:|

Anyway stop giving the kid the lectures on tuning. If he wants to tune that low, let him. Let him find out on his own whether he likes it or not.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Download the trial version of Guitar Pro, go to track-> properties and set the tuning there. Then go to Tools-> Digital Guitar Tuner and tune there. You will need a pretty good microphone though.
Quote by Shredder Guitar
yeah, shut up.

nah. i say you need to look at the situation... the kid isn't even sure how to tune without a chromatic... i don't think he's far enough along to not get really frustrated trying to transpose tabs a half-step this way or that way...

plus, bands use tunings for a reason. maybe the sound of some open C's and F's are what makes the melody of this song really work... maybe one can't properly fret the chord grips in the song because they contain specific open notes at specific intervals...

and in the end of it all, he asked us HOW DO I TUNE TO A# F A# D# G C ?

he didn't ask "HOW DO I GET TOLD THAT WHAT I WANT TO TRY IS NO GOOD?"

have a nice day. i don't argue on the internet longer than two posts, so go ahead and get your last word in, big guy.
Quote by DagMX
I sense overtones of schizo...:|

Anyway stop giving the kid the lectures on tuning. If he wants to tune that low, let him. Let him find out on his own whether he likes it or not.

lol do you have a clue of what the word "schizophrenic" means?

i didnt say he shouldnt tune that low. i said that if its not available to, just tune down to Drop D instead.
Quote by Gunpowder
Quote by frigginjerk
nah. i say you need to look at the situation... the kid isn't even sure how to tune without a chromatic... i don't think he's far enough along to not get really frustrated trying to transpose tabs a half-step this way or that way...

plus, bands use tunings for a reason. maybe the sound of some open C's and F's are what makes the melody of this song really work... maybe one can't properly fret the chord grips in the song because they contain specific open notes at specific intervals...

and in the end of it all, he asked us HOW DO I TUNE TO A# F A# D# G C ?

he didn't ask "HOW DO I GET TOLD THAT WHAT I WANT TO TRY IS NO GOOD?"

have a nice day. i don't argue on the internet longer than two posts, so go ahead and get your last word in, big guy.

oh i wasnt arguing. i didnt say that what he was doing was no good either. please dont try to just jump to conclusions. and you really dont need to sound all official announcing to everyone how long you argue.
Quote by Gunpowder
Quote by Shredder Guitar
lol do you have a clue of what the word "schizophrenic" means?

i didnt say he shouldnt tune that low. i said that if its not available to, just tune down to Drop D instead.

yes i do...its a dellusional perceptional disorder often confused with MPD since it can overlap..

and the way you were posting in this thread...well...

Anyway, I see your point but the way you said it deffinitely not helpful in the least and being rude to others just because they made a valid point that contradicted yours.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by DagMX
yes i do...its a dellusional perceptional disorder often confused with MPD since it can overlap..

and the way you were posting in this thread...well...

Anyway, I see your point but the way you said it deffinitely not helpful in the least and being rude to others just because they made a valid point that contradicted yours.

i fail to believe that being a smartass counts as being "valid."
Quote by Gunpowder
I'm surprised that no one has asked yet but, What gauge are you using? you need to have very thick strings to tune it that low (so it sound good).

But with the tuning, you could download Guitar Pro and if you have a microphone then you just use the tuner in the program to tune it that low, or just buy a chromatic tuner.
Gear
Ibanez RG2550E
ESP/LTD M-10
Fender FM212R amp
EHX Metal Muff
Ibanez WP-7 Wah
Quote by Shredder Guitar
i fail to believe that being a smartass counts as being "valid."

He may have said it in a seemingly arrogant way(I didnt think so though), but his point is valid. What if the guy is playing with a band, or even with a CD, it'll sound off.

I understand your point of doing it on an easier to do tuning, but you did not elaborate and seeing as the kid cant tune without a tuner( I assume he doesn't understand relative notes and 4th therefore), saying that it will work in that tuning isn't much help.

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by Shredder Guitar

Actually would put it that put a step and a half higher or two steps, which is a big difference. Slipknot doesn't sound good in Drop D, and Three Days Grace doesn't sound good in Drop B. Tunings exist for a reason.
i say either buy a bass or buy a 7-string. Once you get that low your in bass territory.
Mesa Lonestar Special
Traynor YCV40WR
Ibanez -Artcore AS103BM
Fender American Deluxe Strat
Analog Man ARDX20 Dual Delay
Red Witch Empress Chorus
Big Muff Pi
Boss BD-2
MXR '76 RI Dynacomp
Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah
Jetter Jetdrive
EHX POG
it's really not that complicated i don't understand why there are 30+ replies in this thread..

If you're going to be doing alot of alternate tunings you should buy a chromatic tuner. Also make sure you have the proper string gauge for a tuning that low. Right now I use a .54 on the bottom and i can hit drop A# with absolutely no problem, I'm not saying you NEED a ridiculous gauge like mine () but your standard .09's won't work..

btw i love Breaking Benjamin, I learned "The Diary of Jane" just this week
Bought for a few pennies
Now you're all just empty
Fucking soulless machines
RIP YOU APART!!!

-All Shall Perish

god damn drop A is too frickin low

nice highs

but the lows may as well be bass lol
Quote by Kensai
Girls don't have to do anything to be good in bed. If she's got a pulse she's automatically an 8.

Quote by pLx
breaking benjamin

Theyre full of gay, they stole that off Static-X, the entirity of Cannibal and Shadow Zone was in A#
Quote by .arkness:.
I see my guitar as a chick because I'd be damned if i were ever holding / fingering a guy for hours a day.

I lulzed.
Quote by Coaxke
Theyre full of gay, they stole that off Static-X, the entirity of Cannibal and Shadow Zone was in A#

You can't "steal" a tuning, dumbass. I write a lot of music in Drop C. Should I stop because I stole if from a System Of A Down? Should I stop writing in D Standard where the majority of my music is because Cradle Of Filth did it first?

Just out of curiousity, why do people tune to Drop A? Why not get a 7 string and drop the low b? Same advantages, One finger powerchords, lower notes, but you don't have to kill your tone and sacrifice some high notes.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
You can't "steal" a tuning, dumbass. I write a lot of music in Drop C. Should I stop because I stole if from a System Of A Down? Should I stop writing in D Standard where the majority of my music is because Cradle Of Filth did it first?

Just out of curiousity, why do people tune to Drop A? Why not get a 7 string and drop the low b? Same advantages, One finger powerchords, lower notes, but you don't have to kill your tone and sacrifice some high notes.

smartest post in this thread, NQA.
Quote by Gunpowder
Quote by Macabre_Turtle

To get the low tuning without having to buy a new guitar, or have a wider neck.

A 7 string doesn't let you go lower. It gives you range. Pickup differences aside, if you tuned a 6 string to B standard, it would sound almost exaclty like a 7 in standard tuning. All a 7 does is give you range to play over. Granted though that it would be quicker to drop a 7 then a 6 to that tuning.
His tone won't suffer either unless he still uses light gauges. He will lose the high notes though.

And mark tremonti, sikth etc... all tune down on a 6 string and they sound amazing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by Rockon914
what band tunes that low?

job for a cowboy (genesis)
in flames (some songs)
bury your dead