Hey there, I thought it might be worth shouting about a relatively obscure artist/bandleader who, I think, is about to gain more notoriety due to his release of a Crass cover album (UK Essex punk band from the seventies, if anyone's unfamiliar) and rekindling quite a lot of interest in that band too because of it. He's the husband of Kimya Dawson, whom he was supporting when I first saw his band here in Norwich, and I caught his recent (and first) headline tour a couple of weeks ago. The live show is superb - eclectic indie-folk, with breaks for illustrated stories (he's also a comic book artist) and the Crass covers really exemplified how to make a song your own. He's a shit hot songwriter too, and a lot of his sound has a really ambient, experimental edge to it, while others (If You Shoot the Head You Kill the Ghoul being a favourite of mine) are a lot more balls-out, and you can really hear the punk influences.

So, is anyone familiar? If not, I strongly urge you to check out this and report back
"Is it an ambulance? Is he Philip Larkin? So much power in so few words."
~The Observer

"A transcendant terrestris, a timeless behemoth, trapped like Sisyphus in the cyclical burden of his own genius."
~The Sun

"His a cant."
~The Independent
i love jeffrey lewis. i made a thread about him a while a back and no one cared. it made me sad...
Yeah, he's really good, have yet to get the Crass album, but I highly rate 'City & Eastern Songs' & 'It's the Ones Who've Cracked...'.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
^ Haven't seen that one before, will unpause in a moment.
The 'Williamsburg Will Oldham Horror' video is really good from what I can remember, great story in the song as well.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Quote by uhh_me?

Seen it live

They performed it last year when he supported Kimya. T'was better than the headliner, in my humble onion.
"Is it an ambulance? Is he Philip Larkin? So much power in so few words."
~The Observer

"A transcendant terrestris, a timeless behemoth, trapped like Sisyphus in the cyclical burden of his own genius."
~The Sun

"His a cant."
~The Independent
im just starting to get into him........any song reccomendations?

i like Williamsburg... and i saw this one with a book and the story was about a hand that belonged to a monster, i thought that was great also if anyone knows what its called?