I noticed today that my intonation is slightly off, every note is sharp except open obviously.

I read that this can be due to high action, which is what I had to use to stop fret buzz. I have a crappy Ibanez GRG170DX because I can't afford anything better. Can I counter this with other DIY adjustments? Getting it into a shop that would do it is extremely difficult where I live since I don't have the transport right now.

Is it right to say I can adjust the saddle positions to shortern the strings back into tune when fretted? Would this just leave me in the same position?
leave your action, fix your intonation by adjusting the saddle on your bridge

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
another thing that may help: If your neck is warped/curved (look down the length of the neck to check), you may be able to straighten it a little by adjusting the truss rod ever so slightly. This may allow you to lower your action without fret buzz, and that may help your intonation. Use the saddle adjustments first though.
TheBurningFish wrote:
I don't mean to generalise but I don't believe the average Coldplay fan is a massive musical theory nut.

FS/FT: Cort SP1 Stratocaster
Zoom GFX5 fx processor
Washburn BD40 amp
$100 each OBO
1. you will want to measure ur necks angle.
2. then you can adjust and work with a lower action.
3. then you can intonate but shortening or lengthening the string.

so, so measure the neck angle, you
Fret the Low E at the first fret. at the same time,
Fret the Low E at the last frets, where the neck and body meet.

with both places held, look at the middle frets, 7-9th.

if the string lays on the fretwire there, you dont have enough bend.

if the string is more than a credit cards thickness up from the fretwire there, you have too much neck bend.

measure and repost.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I checked and it sits between the two happily, the saddle adjustment seems to do nothing, the intonation is still off no matter where I put them for each string.
well, how are you measuring the tuning?

are you comparing the harmonic to the fretted 12th? or the fretted to the open string?
also, are you retuning the opne string after each adjustment?

SETTING INTONATION: from icepoint...
Most electric guitars provide individual string length adjustment for setting intonation. Fine tuning this length insures that your guitar plays in tune all the way up and down the neck.

Using an electronic tuner, tune your guitar to pitch.
One string at a time, play the harmonic at the 12th fret and then play the fretted 12th fret note.
If the fretted note is sharper than the harmonic, increase the string length slightly until both notes register the same on your tuner.
If the fretted note is flat compared to the harmonic shorten the string length slightly until both notes register the same on your tuner.
Repeat the procedure on all strings until the harmonic and the fretted notes are the same.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

I've been misinformed apparently, I was told to use the open fret and then the 12th fret - the octave.

Let's see what happens

also, just in case.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

It appears to be working now I'm using the harmonic instead of the open string. I'll see what happens from here.

I really appreciate the help, I'd be lost without you guys
ok repost if anything. good luck
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Still getting nowhere, the buzzing has returned

ARGH

edit:
No matter what I do they're always the same distance apart on the tuner, time to take it to a store?
Last edited by Liam. at Nov 17, 2007,
well for buzzing you would first raise the action and then fix the intonation.

you would loosen the screws on the top of the bridge posts, and then you'll be able to turn the thumbscrews, pointed to by red arrows, up. after the bridge is up, you can tighten the screws again.

depending on where the buzzing is, this should help.

after the buzzing is gone go back to trying to tune it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

This is pointless, it isn't doing anything, my tuning drops when I change the string length, at which point the harmonic and the fret are exactly the same, when I tune back it's exactly back to the start.

I'll just have to work something out and find somewhere to help me. This is just annoying me to the point that I don't want to work at.
i think perhaps, it's going to be ur technique. but even still, i suggest a string change.

some strings are just too hard to intonate.

with the right setup, this adjustment is actually pretty easy. so something is definately wrong.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I'm about due a change anyway, thanks for trying, I sort of have bad luck, but then again what can you expect from a cheaper guitar
lol, yeah, sorry, hope it works out.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62