Recently, I found an old japanese ds-2 on craigslist for 40 bucks. I picked it up, pretty skeptical due to the opinion of the ds-2 on ug. I was surprised, however, when i heard it. It sounded much better than I had originally thought it might sound. WIth enough tweaking, a really great sound can be coaxed from it, it just takes time. So basically, I was wondering why theres such a bad vibe for the ds-2?
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
its the boss name. also there are better pedals out there for the price.
I like the DS2. People badmouth it because its not a valve amp, in keeping with the UG mentality.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
granted, I'd love to have all Fulltone pedals, but just because the name says boss is no reason to judge the pedal negatively. I mean, yes if given the choice I'd most often choose another brand (such as small clone over chorus ensemble), but I feel all the unfounded negativity is pushing new guitarists to buy boutique brands when they clearly have no interest in them. And sometimes, boutique isnt always the way to go, regardless of your skill level. I hate to bring up John Frusciante, but considering he is, what I can assume, one of the richest of guitarists, he uses the DS-2 for a reason. He also, IMO, has fantastic tone.
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
I thought it had a pretty good reputation. Dunno why Boss have a bad name, sure theres better pedals out there, but they're cheap,reliable and most do the job pretty well. I was thinking about getting one actually, just for a basic alt-rock rhythm sound, good for that?
The obligatory gear list: Gibson SG standard,Maverick F-1,Epiphone Sheraton,'68 reissuse Jap Strat, Orange Rocker 30 and various pedals.
Electro Harmonix Users Guild #30
Quote by HeartInACage
granted, I'd love to have all Fulltone pedals, but just because the name says boss is no reason to judge the pedal negatively. I mean, yes if given the choice I'd most often choose another brand (such as small clone over chorus ensemble), but I feel all the unfounded negativity is pushing new guitarists to buy boutique brands when they clearly have no interest in them. And sometimes, boutique isnt always the way to go, regardless of your skill level. I hate to bring up John Frusciante, but considering he is, what I can assume, one of the richest of guitarists, he uses the DS-2 for a reason. He also, IMO, has fantastic tone.

I only tried the DS-2 once, and it was back when I had no ear for tone, so I can't really judge it. But I do think Frusciante has a good tone when using that pedal.

Maybe the Japanese ones sound better than non-Japanese(?) ones.
Hmmm, maybe, I dunno. I've only tried a made in taiwan Ds-2 very briefly, so I cant say, but I'd definitely say its good for the alt-rock sound. I mean obviously you can dial in settings that make it sound like sh!t, but theres others that sound very crunchy. I have heard, however, that it performs much better on a tube amp than a solid state. Ive only used it on a tube, so again, I cant say whether its true.
I own DS-2 and I love it... Frooooshy's distortion is great so....
Epiphone Les Paul Studio 2005
Marshall JTM-60
MXR Phase 90
Ibanez WH-10 Wah
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion
EHX Q-Tron +
Line 6 FM-4 Filter Modeler
Fender CD60 Acoustic
John Frusciante and RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS UG fanclub.
Wow, your setup is pretty much amazing

EDIT - besides the amp man, you desperately need a new amp.
Quote by leeej
its the boss name. also there are better pedals out there for the price.

wtf are you talking about fool?

people like the sound of it, and it costs 40 stinking bucks, name a better distortion pedal for the price, please!
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Quote by HeartInACage
Wow, your setup is pretty much amazing

EDIT - besides the amp man, you desperately need a new amp.

yeah... my setup is fine and I know I need a new amp... but Christmas is coming so

but my effects are nothing comparing to Yours dude!
Epiphone Les Paul Studio 2005
Marshall JTM-60
MXR Phase 90
Ibanez WH-10 Wah
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion
EHX Q-Tron +
Line 6 FM-4 Filter Modeler
Fender CD60 Acoustic
John Frusciante and RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS UG fanclub.
yeah but a 62 RI? that guitar is aammmazzing, that and the wh-10 man. That alone makes your setup godly
The DS-2's are good. I myself own a Taiwanese one, but the Japanese ones are better.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by Hultan
wtf are you talking about fool?

people like the sound of it, and it costs 40 stinking bucks, name a better distortion pedal for the price, please!

hes talking about the DS-2 "fool" those are 80 bucks. for 10 more you can get a metal muff.
hmm the metal muff is over rated IMO. I mean i love EHX, but I really am not a huge fan of the metal muff.
Oh and you compare a metal muff with a DS-2? used for completely different styles. I'd rather have a DS-2 btw.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard