Ok i've been thinking about start playing bass, just to be able to play together with friends because they all play guitar or drums.
I'm a decent guitar player, would it take long to become a "decent" bass player ? Guess i would be using a pick since thats what im used to.

and what would be a good bass to start out with ? I can spend around 300-500 USD.

Thanks
To be a decent bass player it would take a longer time depending on what kind of music and what kind of style you'll play with, transitioning from guitar does make it easier though.

For your first bass guitar I would get a Squire P Bass they're about 300 USD
Epiphone G-400!!!!!!!!

Washburn Bass!!!

Cordovox tube amp

Crate bass amp!!!

Kustom PA
some mods should make a sticky on rigs for beginners
Wear the eye patch Bret, Wear the Funky Funky eye patch...

Quote by Tallman

You, sir, should be knighted.

Last edited by coolo : Today at 00:00 AM. Reason: ???
Well, it is not the same instrument, but I guess that you could handle it after a while. As for a beginner's bass, you can use the search bar. There are some threads specified for this.
Dingwall Afterburner I 5 string
Warwick Blue Cab 30 practice amp
Quote by thefitz
But hold on - you're debating on whether or not to buy a bass or keep your house? That's pretty fucking hardcore!
Have a look at yamaha basses, great value.
Quote by sSyLc
Looking for a bj from an unsuspecting animal eh?
Member of The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society
Quote by denizenz
I came, I saw, I cleaned it up.
I would suggest as much as possible, use your fingers.

If you're a decent guitar player, challenge yourself to learn and utilize correct right hand technique as a bassist.

I would suggest Ibanez Soundgear, maybe a Made in mexico jazz/p bass (of the two, i recommend the J). You'd probly do well to steer clear of Squiers and knockoffs.

Thing is, you've set a price on the Bass, though if you're playing with guitarists/drummers, you're going to need an amp, and my rule of thumb is the amp should always cost more than the bass, since soundwise, its producing the most.

I'd suggest a Low SR or GSR Ibanez bass (make sure to try Used ones, check classifieds/craigslist etc) and a 30-50W amp (5-25 watts for starters are usually rec., but they really cant be used for playing w/ other musicians lol) that should be able to keep under the 500 USD with decent quality gear.

Biggest thing when becoming a bassist, remember that you're a completely different role fro ma guitarist.

You connect the guitar and drums, you lay the low down, you're the one who wants to make people dance/rock out, dependin on genre. You've got to have the best rythmn of the band (drummers can play 16ths and do some rolls all they want, but the majority rush too much, keep the pace steady and solid yourself, and the drummer should join YOU lol)

Listening to bassists helps a ton, If you want any more info, ask specifics and/or tell us genre you'd be playing
I think some of your guitar skills will transfer over very quickly, using a pick should transfer over too. You have quite an advantage over a new musician because your left hand (assusing you are right handed) is familiar with the neck. While the bass neck is different spacing from a guitar and all, its still pretty similar.. Personally I think you could pick up a bass and be able to play in an average level band relatively soon. The thing that will really take time is learning and understanding theory required to construct or improvise good bass lines.

So if you plan on doing alot of cover songs with friends or a band, I think you can get to decent standard within a few months. But if plan on being a really good bassist..it takes time, lots of time, even with a background in guitar

good starter basses are some entry level ibanez's...so go to the store and give some a try see what you like

EDIT: I forgot to mention...while you can get away with using a pick..you really do need to learn to play with your fingers eventually
Last edited by bigwilly at Nov 17, 2007,
Get comfortable with the new instrument, and at least give fingerstyle a try. It may hurt at first, but listen to the sound it makes before choosing between pick and fingerstyle.

Practise scales and chromatice exercises to familiarise yourself with the neck, fret spacing and how much more pressure you need to put on the strings to stop the notes rattling.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Thanks for the answears

My goal isnt to become a godly bass player, i just wanna learn the basics so me and my friends can play some covers together.
and about using my fingers i dont know .. im pretty good with the pick since im doing alot of shreding / sweappicking and im horrible with the hands, have to use the pick for nothing else matters intro *shame*

Going to play mosly classic rock.
Would this one work ? http://www.thomann.de/se/ibanez_sr300fmdvs.htm
or http://www.thomann.de/se/ibanez_atk300nt.htm ?
Last edited by vismbr at Nov 17, 2007,
well i dont read swedish and don't really play bass,but my bassist loves ibanez
Quote by vismbr
Thanks for the answears
Going to play mosly classic rock.
Would this one work ? http://www.thomann.de/se/ibanez_sr300fmdvs.htm
or http://www.thomann.de/se/ibanez_atk300nt.htm ?

These 2 basses are very different. The ATK has 1 triple coil pickup and is quite similar with the stingray, and the SR300 has a thinner neck and a more modern tone than the ATK plus a P/J pickup combination. But from these 2 the ATK is better in quality.
If you want something from the SR series, then you should check out the SR500 which is very nice (but probably out of your budget if you want it new)
Dingwall Afterburner I 5 string
Warwick Blue Cab 30 practice amp
Quote by thefitz
But hold on - you're debating on whether or not to buy a bass or keep your house? That's pretty fucking hardcore!
Last edited by pagiatis at Nov 17, 2007,
I suggest finding a local music shop and playing every bass you can afford (hehe and some you can't). When I bought my first bass, I based my choice on which one felf the most conformable to play and which sounded the best. I choose my Ibanez GSR200FM over a Peavey and a Squire.
i'd actually rather the SR300, but thats cause i LOVE the sr series (i swear by the sr505)

BTW: DbassisT:
thers nothing wrong with learning slap as a begginner bassist, just don't expect to get results right away.
Quote by mangablade
i'd actually rather the SR300, but thats cause i LOVE the sr series (i swear by the sr505)

BTW: DbassisT:
thers nothing wrong with learning slap as a begginner bassist, just don't expect to get results right away.

The thing with learning slap when you're first starting is, you'll probably do nothing BUT slap, and try to move onto other things without having a good grounding on the fundamentals.
Hmm never happened to me, in fact i tried and learned slap early, and soon i realized i didnt like it all that much (nothing to do with my skill with it).

And right now the threadstarter seems like he's going to stick to a pick, so he's got fundamentals done then.
i just play guitar mostly, but i love slapping but since i don't play bass on a regular basis it hurts cuz no calouses
Quote by FbSa
Look into a starter pack, would be my suggestion. Squier, Ibanez, Peavey, Hartke, they all have em, and the quality ma not be great but it's a good starting point.

Agreed