I'm a singer/songwriter and I was planning on posting some of my songs on YouTube. However, they aren't under copyright yet. Should original songs be copyrighted before posting them on YouTube?
Last edited by gibsonpure at Nov 17, 2007,
nobody's going to steal your songs, but put in your video info that this is copyrighted even tho it's not, and they prolly won't.. drr...
just have a copy of the song with an earlier date. I think that would be enough.

Email the song to yourself too.
it doesn't matter, if some major record label decides to steal your song, they will....
and there will be nothing you can do about it.

See Killing Joke and Nirvana, for example.
Post songs up on stuff like Myspace first.

If you've done it then you could try youtube but even if you do copyright them chances are people will take ideas from them.

If you are really worried about it all you should go ahead and copyright em but its gonna cost you.
Flap it and enjoy yourself...

Xbox Live GT = The Donkey Fly
'...and those who fought on that day of honor, the day of victory shall be forever remembered as Lime Green' - Oct 31st 08
Quote by frusciante.ve
just have a copy of the song with an earlier date. I think that would be enough.

+1

like a tab or something saved to an earlier date. or even the video on a file that at least shows proof of your writing it, if someone was to take it
If you have an account on you tube and you have alot of friends that check your account hourerly or something, word could spread ( if its good) and it might just get stolen.If i had a good song i wouldn`t tell any one apart from my band members.Maybe not even them
My cancer spot is much bigger than yours

Quote by HumBucker666
I get carrot skinned regularly by a electrified carrot skinning device

Quote by GrEgUms1991
I have a small penis if that counts?

^ some pretty awesome sh!t ( click )

Europeans Unite!
Quote by frusciante.ve

I found this out:

Under the present copyright law, which became effective January 1, 1978, a work is automatically protected by copyright when it is created. A work is created when it is "fixed" in a copy or phonorecord for the first time. Neither registration in the Copyright Office nor publication is required for copyright protection under the present law.

So copyright protection is automatic once you record. I've been working with a producer and we're recording my tracks so I'll post on YouTube once they're all recorded.