So I have questions on formatting hard drives.

First, heres what I know about my computer: It's a dell, it has Windows XP Pro.

It was given to me by my Uncle, and it's roughly 18 months old.

So, here are my questions.

I want to format my hard drive, but since it was given to me I do not have the Windows XP Pro disc. If I format, will I lose my OS, and have to reinstall it again? Or does the OS stick around despite formatting?

And second, how exactly do I go about formatting my hard drive?

Also, I do not have any disks thats originalls came with the computer, because my Uncle does not have them, so, is there anything that I could lose that may be vital to the function of the computer?
Quote by Daffodil Lament
So I have questions on formatting hard drives.

First, heres what I know about my computer: It's a dell, it has Windows XP Pro.

It was given to me by my Uncle, and it's roughly 18 months old.

So, here are my questions.

I want to format my hard drive, but since it was given to me I do not have the Windows XP Pro disc. If I format, will I lose my OS, and have to reinstall it again? Or does the OS stick around despite formatting?

And second, how exactly do I go about formatting my hard drive?

Also, I do not have any disks thats originalls came with the computer, because my Uncle does not have them, so, is there anything that I could lose that may be vital to the function of the computer?

Formatting your hard drive removes all the data stored on it. Most people resort to formatting their disks because something has tainted their system beyond workability. Formatting will get rid of all the malicious software on your drive (including Windows, the worst of all) and you'll have to start fresh.

There are many ways to format your drive, and they all include booting off a removable medium, either a CD or Floppy disk. If your mouth is fixed on Bill Gates' dick then you'll have to find yourself a Windows XP CD-Rom as this is the easiest route for you. When you boot from the CD it'll ask you if you want to format your drives, and after that it will reinstall Windows for you.

If you want to put your computer to use, get a Linux live-CD and format your disks from there.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
You format, wipes EVERYTHING off your drive.
Get an XP install CD and you can format, and re-install the OS.
Then you have to re-install all your apps that you want to use.

You don't seem to fully understand what formatting a hard drive means (This is not meant to be an insult).
So what makes you think you need to format?
if you are not sure how to reformat you're not alone.
I just learned to do the process myself for my laptop...my brother told me how to do it.

you can call a computer service to have them do it for you, I'm sure they wont charge much.
GeekSquad is the popular one at this time.
Quote by moody07747
if you are not sure how to reformat you're not alone.
I just learned to do the process myself for my laptop...my brother told me how to do it.

you can call a computer service to have them do it for you, I'm sure they wont charge much.
GeekSquad is the popular one at this time.

They will overcharge you and don't know crap. Google > Geeksquad
You have to make your own XP install with Dell PCs. Mine came with a note in ti saying to read the user manual on the PC and follow the instructions on there to make the CD.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
One time my dad showed me a thing you type in command prompt that reformats your hard drive.

... But I may be wrong.