I want to learn how to start playing bass, well guitar in general. A few questions

a) I am planning on buying both an electric guitar and a bass guitar to try and learn both of them. Would learning bass hinder learning electric guitar (aside from the time spent playing them) or if you learn one could you pick up the other one and at least know what your doing?

b) I'd like to get a quality bass guitar and amp. I found an Ibanez Ex Series bass guitar (its black and has the tuners all on one side and the frets have the "whoosh" look like some of the other Ibanez guitars have. They want $225 for it, is that a good deal? Its in pretty good shape with no flaws. Also is this guitar considered a quality bass?

c) I am also looking at a Peavy Minx 110 bass amp to practice on is this a good amp?

thanks for all the help
i reccomend starting with an acoustic and work on classical guitar style picking with your fingers, i reckon this should get you right hand (if your right handed) guitar speed up
Quote by grindcore kid
i reccomend starting with an acoustic and work on classical guitar style picking with your fingers, i reckon this should get you right hand (if your right handed) guitar speed up

Classical and Bass fingerstyle are pretty different. But they should ot hinder each other, so longas you regard them as seperate, and not slightly differnt instruments.

And can you get more detail on the Ibanez. The inlays and colour are not much help in identifying it.

That amp should be fine if my memory servesd me right on the name. It's quite a good practise amp.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by capper96
I want to learn how to start playing bass, well guitar in general. A few questions

a) I am planning on buying both an electric guitar and a bass guitar to try and learn both of them. Would learning bass hinder learning electric guitar (aside from the time spent playing them) or if you learn one could you pick up the other one and at least know what your doing?

b) I'd like to get a quality bass guitar and amp. I found an Ibanez Ex Series bass guitar (its black and has the tuners all on one side and the frets have the "whoosh" look like some of the other Ibanez guitars have. They want $225 for it, is that a good deal? Its in pretty good shape with no flaws. Also is this guitar considered a quality bass?

c) I am also looking at a Peavy Minx 110 bass amp to practice on is this a good amp?

thanks for all the help

a) Theory-wise, they would compliment each other. My guitarist friend knows a lot of theory and can shred on the fretboard... but he can't press the strings hard enough/in the right spot so that they don't buzz, and his right hand is pretty slow.

Essentially, they shouldn't interfere with each other, but it might feel weird switching from a bass to a guitar and vice versa.

b) I have no idea what you're talking about when you mention the "whoosh" look. Do you mean the shark-fin inlay?

Anyways, I've never played an EX, nor have I seen one, so I can't comment on it, but Ibanez basses are generally of good quality.

c) This site is great for gear reviews: http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Bass+Amp/product/Peavey/Minx/10/1

Only one review.. so hard to come to a conclusion. I've heard it's decent, but if you can get a good price for it, then go ahead

Here's my advice:
Buy a starter kit if you're just starting out on bass. Squier and Ibanez ones are great:
Squier P-Bass starter pack
Squier J-bass starter pack
Ibanez Jumpstart pack

But if your price range is a bit higher, you could go for the separate bass and amp route. This way, you can get a higher quality bass and amp.

I recommend the Squier Vintage Modified series basses:
Squier VM Precision bass
Squier VM Jazz bass

As for an amp, I'd recommend something around 50W, as I've found that most combos under that sound really bad. Also, if you're just starting, you don't want to get a 100W one unless you're gonna be playing with people.
I believe it would be best just to get a Bass starter pack, then get an acoustic guitar. I think it's not very smart to try to learn both at once, because they are two totally different instruments. Just played with the same style. Guitar is as close to bass, as oboe is to Basson. They both are double reed, and they both are in C, but you're going to play them entirely different.
Quote by gm jack
Classical and Bass fingerstyle are pretty different. But they should ot hinder each other, so longas you regard them as seperate, and not slightly differnt instruments..

Guitar fingerstyle is VERY different than bass. To be honest, it was one of my "bad" habits that my first bass teacher had to break. The finger position and the wrist position are different and the approach is different.

If you can keep the two styles separate in your mind and playing, go for it. What you learn as a bass player will make you a better guitarist and visa versa.