Im not an expert but i would say, amp->Pick ups->pedal/guitar.
But then again, the guitar also affects the feel the most, so it and the amp are the two most important choices even though the guitar might not affect tone as much as the pickups.
well it depends. If you go from similar to similar, such as strat to tele equipped with similar pick ups, itll sounds pretty much the same. If you go from a twangy tele to a very dark LP, then yeah, itll be very different. If youre talking about just generally, id say amp - guitar-pedal-pickup, but that all depends on what your changing, as i feel theres more pedals that change your tone radically than pickups.
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
Well, I don't think pedals belong in that list - but there's so many factors there's no way you could ever describe it properly. I'll have a go:

Amp-> pickups-> picking style/plectrum-> guitar body material-> strings-> pickup height-> fretboard material-> guitar electronics-> cable quality, and so on.....
it's not a matter of how much. every single thing in your room/studio when you play affects your tone. even batteries brands in ur pedal (i discovered recently), length of cables, sweatyness of your hands change tone too.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Pedals are deffinately last, but the do affect tone. A bad bypassed pedal is a major tone sucker.
I'd deffinately say AMP->PICKUPS->GUITAR->PEDAL.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
hmm id disagree. Pedals can potentially change your sound much more than a pick up can.
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
i think it would go like this, and this will only work if we talk about at least intermidiate level instruments. no beginner stuff, like just below profesional level equiptment. and also, just clear non effected tone.
amp/guitar/pickups.
You can't really put in pedals in there, man, it's like... you just can't, because they are not necessary (sp?) in the way as a guitar, a cable, an amp, a pickup or your guitar electronics. A pedal is like something you add just to change the sound.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Yeah, I would agree with that though. Theres just too much variety and it shouldnt be considered...although it DOES potentially change your tone more than pickups
case by case. you could get a wild pickup that gives you a great amount of bass and just chops off your treble. and octaver that makes you not recognize your guitar. a guitar that just sounds ass with the amp. and cables that make your tone totally clear.
The room that the amp/cabinet/speakers are placed in, also affects tone to a large extent, possibly in more of a way than the list below may suggest. Also, although pick-ups are listed second, I think pick-ups are often far overrated as to how much they actually affect your overall tone. I mean, they do alter tone considerably, but not nearly as much as a better-sounding amp.

For example, a good tube amp will create 99% of your "good tone." Whereas changing your pickups will simply alter its character. Meaning, if you have a crappy amp, save up for a good tube amp, and not expensive pick-ups. As I've said before, a Hello Kitty Strat sounds f*cking awesome on a 6505 or Soldano SLO. But the best guitar in the world, with the hottest pick-ups on the market, through a crappy solid-state amp, will still sound 99% crappy.

This is the order, as I see it, from the most, to least effect:

• Amp
• Pick-ups
• Cabinet/speakers
• Room
• Guitar

Pedals are the wild card. They can totally "make" your tone (as in a high-quality, tube-based pedal or preamp), much as a good tube amp would. In that sense, they can make a bad amp (used mainly as just a power amp, in that case) sound "good." But, a middle-of-the-road pedal, to a far lesser extent.

• Pedals
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Nov 17, 2007,
Quote by HeartInACage
hmm id disagree. Pedals can potentially change your sound much more than a pick up can.

Yeah of course with a pedal on, it can distort, phase, delay, etc. that changes your tone the most out of anything. I'm talking about with a pedal off. Just guitar->pedal->amp playing clean. The pickups would do more than a pedal would.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
we forgot cab build, speakers, fingers.
MIM HSS strat
Boss Dd6
Buddah Wah
Diamond Memory Lane
Mesa Dual rect.

To Get:
Mesa lonestar [prolly trade my DR for it]
Xotic BB preamp
ISP decimator.
Stephen Designs '59 pups [waiting for them to come]
A new bridge pup.
Quote by ECistheBest
it's not a matter of how much. every single thing in your room/studio when you play affects your tone. even batteries brands in ur pedal (i discovered recently), length of cables, sweatyness of your hands change tone too.

Yesss, everything is a part of your tone, you can't try to have some things but not others because while it may be ok it won't all come together till everything is right.
i heard that if you have an erection, your tone changes.
MIM HSS strat
Boss Dd6
Buddah Wah
Diamond Memory Lane
Mesa Dual rect.

To Get:
Xotic BB preamp
ISP decimator.
A new bridge pup.
i heard that if you have an erection, your tone changes.
Hmm...that's one of the few things I haven't heard Eric Johnson claim yet. Perhaps someone should ask him?
if you're eric johnson, it's

Fingers
Color of Shirt
Barametric Pressure in China
Water Salinity
Number of sunspots
Length of hair
Angle at which pedals face amp
Tree by which guitar was made
Toenail length
Amount of plastic toys occupying the nearest Toy's 'R Us

in that order
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
Quote by Johnonon

Fingers
Color of Shirt
Water Salinity
Number of sunspots
Length of hair
Toenail length

in that order

is that like a stereotype?

that johnson is famous for attributing everythin to tone?
MIM HSS strat
Boss Dd6
Buddah Wah
Diamond Memory Lane
Mesa Dual rect.

To Get:
Xotic BB preamp
ISP decimator.
A new bridge pup.
^kind of. but i agree with many things he claim. like the battery in his pedals and the tree the guitar was made from and stuff.

i still can't differ between different colored picks...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
i can differ between different types of picks easily though

The battery one makes sense as well
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
Quote by ECistheBest
^kind of. but i agree with many things he claim. like the battery in his pedals and the tree the guitar was made from and stuff.

i still can't differ between different colored picks...

lmao i never knew that johnson was like that.....someone should make a parody of him like they did to petrucci.
MIM HSS strat
Boss Dd6
Buddah Wah
Diamond Memory Lane
Mesa Dual rect.

To Get:
Xotic BB preamp
ISP decimator.
A new bridge pup.

Fingers
Color of Shirt
Water Salinity
Number of sunspots
Length of hair
Toenail length

in that order

^And that's barely half of it.
You forgot to mention that EJ offsets his intonation by the current exchange rate of the Chilean Peso, and stuffs the trem cavity with McCoy's Roast Ham and Mustard crisps to 'improve bass response'....

But I must admit he's pretty right about a lot of things - there's so many ways to change your tone that it's simply impossible to put them in any kind of logical order.
The very most important thing to pay attention to is your amp. It doesn't matter what else is in front of it, if the amp sounds crap so will everything else....
Quote by Johnonon

Fingers
Color of Shirt
Water Salinity
Number of sunspots
Length of hair
Toenail length

in that order

You forgot half drained batteries!

IMO...Everything that effects your sounds does so in a different way. An amp will be the most drastic and "changing" factor, but things like the way you play, pickups, woods, etc. can't be compared as they all change the tone with different ways. The pickups can filter and EQ your tone, fretboard wood darkens or adds"spank" your tone, neck wood can carry certain frequencies better than others, a body wood will change how the frequencies resonate, certain trems add or lose bass response...the list goes on. Point is, barely any of these factors can be compared directly.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

Last edited by PerpetualBurn at Nov 17, 2007,
Quote by PerpetualBurn
You forgot half drained batteries!

those are too obvious. even i can distinguish that. it doesn't fit in the list cuz that one actually affects tone.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
eric johnson is nuts about it though. It seems almost like a dreadful form of OCD, he would spend minutes tuning by ear on stage, i dont think he can help it
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
It's the batteries that really make or break you. God bless you, Eric Johnson.
Quote by Danno13
PROTIP: With guitars, you can go ahead and add the "Ed." to "Special"

My gear:
1964 Gibson SG
2007 Gretsch Electromatic
Washburn Acoustic-Electric
Some Fender amp
1967 Encore pile of dung
I know I play alot more since I been playin through tube amps
Ibanez RG570
USA Strat
Epi Les Paul