Sorry about yet another versus thread, but I require some opinions so I thought it best to make my intentions clear in the title.

As you may have gathered, I'm trying to decide between a Jackson DKM2 and the Ibanez 1570.

Now, I've had my eye on the 1570 for quite a long time and I was positive I was going to buy it; however, a few days ago my friend recommended the DKM2 as it's a little cheaper and looks a hell of a lot nicer. Obviously aesthetics aren't they key factor in deciding between the guitars, but it does help.

So, what's the difference between these guitars in terms of playability, sound and durability? Which is the more versatile of the two?

The Ibanez almost £100 more expensive, which leads me to believe it's better quality. However, it could be the brand name that reflects the price and not the actual model.

I enjoy playing melodic shred (Satch), metal, hard rock and classic rock. I also like some complex shred too, but I don't play it too often. So, I'd like a guitar that could satisfy my tastes and requirements.

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Cheers.

- Smokey.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
well, i guess the ibanez trem is probably nicer than the jackson LFR, but i've had my jackson for 18 months and the trem is still fine... i personally prefer the jackson neck, i find it more comfortable than ibanez, but you might think different so try both...
from my experience, jacksons are well made (MIJ), so no need to worry about that.
Member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Group
Last edited by 666_Belial at Nov 17, 2007,
I'd say the Jackson. I've never heard anything bad about the Jackson LFRs, and their necks just feel so nice. The pickups are better as well, and it's an alder body, as opposed to the basswood of the RG.

Obviously the only way to know is to try them for yourself.
Weigh it out

I don't know much on the jackson but:

Ibanez:
Japanese made
Edge pro trem
Basswood
HSH pickup config
24 frets

Not great stock pickups
Some dislike the colours.
Jackson:

MIJ
Jackson JT580 Trem
Alder body
24 frets
HH Config
Seymour Duncan Humbuckers
Maple fretboard

Its a tough choice honestly, and the trem might not be as good as the Ibanez, but everything else makes up for it.
if you ask me, the ibanez is nicer, and comes with a hard case.

Only thing the jackson has better is the stock pickups (and i guess the alder body if you don't get on with basswood), and if you ask me, JB+Jazz in an alder guitar isn't exactly a great match anyway...

up to you of course. odds are the neck profile will be the thing that swings it for you, which is mainly personal preference...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Agreed with Dave. The RG is just a way better quality overall, if you ask me. See if you can find a 1550 in a nice colour if you don't like the look of the 1570 (I don't, that's for sure).
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Or if you don't need 22 frets and prefer a fatter tone S470 + better pickups.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Tough choice. I've played MIJ Jacksons, and MIJ Ibbys. Both play nice, but it really comes down to how they feel in your hands.
you can always swap th pickups in the Ibanez,, and prestige Ibanez = very shred worthy
Quote by Resiliance
Agreed with Dave. The RG is just a way better quality overall, if you ask me. See if you can find a 1550 in a nice colour if you don't like the look of the 1570 (I don't, that's for sure).

generally MIJ guitars are on par with USA-made guitars... however, Jackson are a USA company, so they make their MIJ guitars not just as nice as they don't want to cannibalise their USA line...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I own that Jackson. Buy the RG, especially if you love to shred man, I fell in love when I played that thing at GC. My friend told me I should use my own guitar and I was just like **** that I want this.

I like the dkm2 But it cannot handle lower tunings. I like to play in drop C, and when I do I have to raise the action so much so that you can hear what im playing on there higher frets. I have to raise it so high I can no longer play guitar as fluently as I normally do on lower action, its terrible.

But if you want a good shred guitar for metal, or just rhythm the dkm2 is a great guitar. Its also got pretty good tone when I play some RCHP, but not as good as the 500$ strat I tried.
Edit- haha I thought he spelled the name wrong. I had to change mine to his cause I thought i made a mistake.
Last edited by Metallica rulz at Nov 18, 2007,
First off, it's called a Jackson DK2M. Second it's a superb guitar I've tried one and I had no problem with the LFR just a few adjustments and it's great. The look of the guitar is unusual and imo pretty good. The pups work good together. The neck is as usual very good. The quality of the guitar has been good to the people I know. I don't know to much about the Ibanez but all I know is that the Jackson is great.
I Like Cake
DK2m in white = sexy sexy

I am not very fond of ibbys. they just dont feel right in my hands. I might be a little biased since I own the DK2T, but i'd say get the jackson.
Quote by Killian5-0
I was looking at a friend of mines baby that was just born and I said "He's younger than me"

Quote by Rocker_geek
nexteyenate you win
Linux
Jacksons are just nicer guitars overall.
Get baked, study theory.

Quote by :-D
Why are you bringing Cm into this?
yeh i have the jackson dkm2 and i think its great in standard tuning and Eb tuning

but yeah it doesent sound as great if you drop it 2 steps down or however far you go
like someone said earlier ......
i am personaly bias towards ibanez because i love them so much BUT trying to be un-bias: the 1570 has the better trem but worse pickups. its easier to replace the pickups in a guitar than the trem so the 1570 would be your best bet i think.
Both are great guitars so you'll have to try them both and see which neck feels better. I love the Ibanez neck but I'm not as keen on basswood. I quite like Alder but my first choice is mahogany so why not consider an Ibanez S-670FM and then use the money saved to load it with the exact pups of your choice.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by Metallica rulz

I like the dkm2 But it cannot handle lower tunings. I like to play in drop C, and when I do I have to raise the action so much so that you can hear what im playing on there higher frets. I have to raise it so high I can no longer play guitar as fluently as I normally do on lower action, its terrible.

Sounds to me like your guitar is set up terrible. When you play drop C on a guitar with a floating trem, you have to set up your guitar again. Properly. Intonation, spring tension, truss rod, ...

Here are some facts and personal opinions about both guitars:

- The ibanez has a very good trem, although the LFR is a tough guy too. It comes with a hard case, and is the top of the line (mass production line) of ibanez. It also has a VERY versatile pickup feature (5 way switch, controlling coiltaps and such).
The neck is too thin and can cause aches in your wrist and fingers if you dont like superflat thin necks (personal). It also feels like a fisherprice toy and it's tone lacks balls and dept (personal).

- The Jackson has nicer pickups (personal), a much nicer neck (personal), does not come in a hard case, is not top of the line, is made of alder (which is a huge + compared to the Ibanez => personal), has a great tone (personal), feels great (personal) but has a high heel neck joint, which might annoy you when playing the upper frets.

Regarding built quality, I would say jackson beats the ibanez, because I personally saw alot more ibanez prestiges with flaws than Jackson Pro's with flaws. But this should be the other way around, considdering that the prestiges are the top of the ibanez line.

Conclusion: you see that a whole lot depends on personal taste. So the only way you can actually know which one suites YOU the best, is go to a store and try them out.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Im Saving Up for the Jackson DK2T And I think the Jackson Looks nicer than the Ibanez.
In that price range it's pretty much up to which you one prefer.
Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony Finish
- Hohner Hc-06 Classical guitar

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
This is a ridiculously pointless question. The RG is so stupidly superior that you shouldn't even have to ask. The neck feels a lot nicer, the tone is clearer. It feels more nicely made. The trem is superior.
And you can always throw in new pick-ups.
Last edited by Horlicks at Feb 19, 2009,
Quote by Horlicks
This is a ridiculously pointless question. The RG is so stupidly superior that you shouldn't even have to ask. The neck feels a lot nicer, the tone is clearer. It feels more nicely made. The trem is superior.
And you can always throw in new pick-ups.

Well, thats how YOU feel about it. Dont sell it as a truth.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Threadstarter probably decided on a guitar already, since this thread is almost two years old...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Both are great but I recommend the Ibanez theres no better quality that ibanez makes then the prestige series, unless you buy a JEM but those are way too expensive for most people

EDIT: Oh wait just noticed the date on this thread nvm
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Last edited by Lethal Dosage at Feb 19, 2009,