right now ive already filled/sand seal and im about to put the primer on and
where im living right now its pretty cold not freezing but pretty cold aroun 50degrees or less maybe idk and im gonna paint outside does temperature matter?
Send me off to bed forevermore.
Quote by C_O_B_H_C<>DIME
temp. dont really matter, just how damp it is outside.

Temperature actually matters more than 'how damp it is' aka humidity. If it's too cold where you're spraying (below 50 degrees F) chances are that condensation will build up on the paint. This causes the outer paint to flash off quicker than the paint underneath it(or you can think of it as trapping the solvents inside the paint), and can lead to bubbling, cracking, checking, blushing and slow drying times. Paints are designed to sprayed in specific conditions to optimize drying times, hardness and final luster of the paint. The warmer it is outside, the faster the paint will dry.

Humidity IS very important though, because if you cant mix a retarder in with the paint, too high humidity (anything above 50%) will cause problems as well. With all the moisture in the air, the paint will kind of 'catch' the moisture as it's being sprayed, and will buildup in the paint. The paint will start to dry before it evaporates the solvents, and this causes blushing, bubbling and slow drying times.

If you're really set on spraying though, let the cans sit inside your house for a few hours to get the paint warm. Shake it up well, bring it outside and spray it. Bring the guitar back in after the paint has flashed off and let it hang somewhere (your best bet is to leave it in a warm basement where the fumes from the paint won't **** you up, ie dont leave it in your bedroom while you sleep...) to fully dry. I heat up my spray gun cup (with a hot plate and some water) almost everytime I spray because it really speeds up drying times. The lacquer will spray on better, and because it's pretty hot will level out to almost completely flat (saves sanding).
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Last edited by AlGeeEater at Nov 17, 2007,