Hi, I am currently using a lead to connect my guitar to my computer (Macbook). However, this limits me to using the preset effects in Garageband. For Christmas I am looking to buy a Boss DD-20 delay pedal and would therfore like to purchase something that will allow me to record my new pedal on my computer. I rang up a store in the UK and they recommended the Line 6 UX2. Is this the sort of thing I need? Thanks.
If your already connecting your guitar to your pc, then all you have to-do is put the DD20 (and any other fx you want to use) into the chain. You don't need anything new.

But a designatec audio interface like the UX2 would improve your sound.
Do I need to buy mics aswell or will I just be sorted with the pedal and the interface?
Quote by sam i am
If your already connecting your guitar to your pc, then all you have to-do is put the DD20 (and any other fx you want to use) into the chain. You don't need anything new.

But a designatec audio interface like the UX2 would improve your sound.

Into the chain? How would I do that? The lead I have plugs into my guitar and my computer, how would I connect a pedal into that?
Well it depends if you want to mic anything of course.

The best option would be to have all your fx going inot you amp, a good dynamic mic like an shure SM57 micing the amp, and then the microphone > interface > recording program.

But thats also quite expensive. If you are plugging you guitar straight into your souncard/ interface then you don't need a mic.
...why doesn't anyone post recording questions in the "Riffs & Recordings" form?!?!

anyways theres a sticky in there that will explain it all, also look at tweaks guide in my sig.

To record to your computer the best way to get the sound into the computer is with using an interface. The Toneport units are ok for start but if you are looking at the UX2 than I suggest you get a better unit for the same amount of money. That unit is a firewire interface by Mackie but you'll need a firewire port on your desktop PC...no big deal if you don't have one as you can add one.

mackie interface:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Mackie-Onyx-Satellite-Recording-Interface?sku=248154
(this unit is equipped with better preamps than the Toneports and can still be used with "Gearbox".

Now I see you are using a laptop so you may only have USB ports. If that is the case I suggest sticking with the lower end Toneport UX1 as you wont need all the inputs of the UX2.
If you want to mic your amp up you can get a Shure SM57 and plug that into the interface but with the toneport it is not needed. Getting a mic for vocals is nice though...

Desktops are always best to record with as editing and updating hardware is easier...not to mention you would be able to get a firewire interface going without much problem...

As I said, go over the sticky at the riffs and recordings form.
Last edited by moody07747 at Nov 18, 2007,
Quote by sam i am
Well it depends if you want to mic anything of course.

The best option would be to have all your fx going inot you amp, a good dynamic mic like an shure SM57 micing the amp, and then the microphone > interface > recording program.

But thats also quite expensive. If you are plugging you guitar straight into your souncard/ interface then you don't need a mic.

That sounds good. So if I get an interface (I'm thinking an Alesis IO/14), I don't need any mics, I just plug my guitar and my pedals into that? I will get some mics in the future, just not for my guitar. Thanks for your help.
Quote by irnbrurules
That sounds good. So if I get an interface (I'm thinking an Alesis IO/14), I don't need any mics, I just plug my guitar and my pedals into that? I will get some mics in the future, just not for my guitar. Thanks for your help.

the Alesis IO/14 is even a little better than the mackie i was talking about as its a small digital mixer with level adjustments on board. Its still and interface though so it does just about the same as the USB Toneport.

for that Alesis its once again a firewire interface so you'll need a port for it and if you don't have it, you're out of luck.
Quote by moody07747
the Alesis IO/14 is even a little better than the mackie i was talking about as its a small digital mixer with level adjustments on board. Its still and interface though so it does just about the same as the USB Toneport.

for that Alesis its once again a firewire interface so you'll need a port for it and if you don't have it, you're out of luck.

Yeah my macbook has a firewire port so that part is fine.
Thats good to hear.
So that being said I would stick with a firewire interface as it will give better results.

the Mackie has a slightly higher review and more features
the Alesis has a nice amount of inputs with faders in line but with the mackie and the docking base i think you have the same = more inputs than the Alesis.

I would have a close look between the two before buying. I'm still hooked on Mackie because they are a well known brand for audio gear.
Just looked at some prices and it looks like the Mackie is £30 more expensive than the Alesis so I think I'll get the Alesis and the boss pedal for Christmas. Thanks for your input though.
I can record onto my computer perfectly. What i do is i link up my zoom g2 to my amp like normal but then plug the cord from the 'send' socket of my amp to the mic socket on my computer. Works perfectly and i can record effects from my zoom and everything.
Quote by irnbrurules
Into the chain? How would I do that? The lead I have plugs into my guitar and my computer, how would I connect a pedal into that?

Lead going to pedal(s), lead going from pedal to pc.
Quote by sam i am
Lead going to pedal(s), lead going from pedal to pc.

So it would be easy to connect the boss pedal along with my Line 6 Pod to my computer and then use it with Logic or Garageband?

I don't understand what a interface does, is it only useful if you want to record other instruments?
Quote by Ghopki02
I can record onto my computer perfectly. What i do is i link up my zoom g2 to my amp like normal but then plug the cord from the 'send' socket of my amp to the mic socket on my computer. Works perfectly and i can record effects from my zoom and everything.

Yea it works but sounds... "cheap"
use your method and then switch to an interface and you'll hear a huge difference in quality.

You either need an interface or "recording card" which is a good sound card made for recording. Stock standard sound cards were made for playback and have tiny 1/8" stereo input jacks.

Recording cards will have at least 2 inputs and 1 - 2 outputs.
Some good cards have 4 or more inputs and same for the outputs.

Now an interface will not use the sound card to record...it bypasses that part of the computer except for playback and will also give you great quality in the audio.

Best way to go is with an interface these days.

Recording cards and an analog mixer isn't the best setup....

tread starter - read this:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284568
Last edited by moody07747 at Nov 18, 2007,
Quote by irnbrurules
So it would be easy to connect the boss pedal along with my Line 6 Pod to my computer and then use it with Logic or Garageband?

I don't understand what a interface does, is it only useful if you want to record other instruments?

Yes it would be easy.

And an audio inteface is basically the same thing as a soundcard, but it is specially designed for recording music and is therefore much better quality then your pc's stock soundcard, which is designed for playing back sound rather then recording it.

It's up to you whether you think it's worth the purchase.
If it helps - when i record I go from my guitar - into the amp - through the amps line out and then into my sound card. (sometimes through a mixer)

MVL.