Page 1 of 2
Here's a prime example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSYrTKXLYH0

Seriously!!! His distortion is so heavy that I can't even hear any... bass! He's also got a friggin whammy bar on the damn thing. The way he plays the goddamn bass (which I suspect is a short-scale as well) is even guitar-like. It's WORSE than Cliff Burton's fuzz and wah solos...

This video almost makes me as disgusted as when I see that damn Gene Simmons "solo" video.
Yep, I've seen that one before....He had his bass modified to be more like a guitar so he could play faster, the string spacing on it looks to be prettymuch a guitar....I don't know why he does it.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Peter Hook of Joy Division/New Order. I mean:-

1. He has a 6 string bass tuned like a guitar
2. He only uses the high frets
3. He uses Guitar FX pedals because Bass ones sound "Too heavy"

Just get a guitar man!
isnt that an actual guitar with two less strings?
First Emo of the Bass Militia PM DinkyDaisy to join
Quote by metaldud536
Did your know your son likes to fap?

Quote by Minkaro
I'd rather shove a Pidgeot up my arse than spend any time with Jimmy Page.

Quote by Table Salt
You win for making me really laugh.

add that:
Myspace
It's a picollo bass...

Don't start the fight about them... please.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
First type of bass was that before all that nonsense was done to it, and second what the hell did he do exactly? His strings are (obviously) disgustingly close and super thin. But behind him are what looks like 15" speakers. May I ask, wtf?

EDIT: Damn! Maybe those are 18's
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Quote by hatebreed219
First type of bass was that before all that nonsense was done to it, and second what the hell did he do exactly? His strings are (obviously) disgustingly close and super thin. But behind him are what looks like 15" speakers. May I ask, wtf?

It's an SG styled bass.

And he doesn't only play bass tuned that high. He does play bass in the normal register as well.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
i like the way that dude from DFA1979 plays bass, Blood on our hands is a sick song, to name just one...
Quote by Tedward
i like the way that dude from DFA1979 plays bass, Blood on our hands is a sick song, to name just one...

He is great, I'm not sure he want's to be a guitarist though, there's still low end there, he does play with a pick, but that doesn't really count, he's in a two piece, so he has alot of sonic space to fill.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Quote by sammcl-15
He is great, I'm not sure he want's to be a guitarist though, there's still low end there, he does play with a pick, but that doesn't really count, he's in a two piece, so he has alot of sonic space to fill.

exactly, i think with jesse you can still tell its a bass, he's got some funky riffs, and he majority of his songs are on the bass octave of the bass 9 come to think of it, he only goes above the twelfth fret once or twice.

This video, however, is just mindless wankery, i don't even see how piccolo basses can be called basses (i know someone will argue about me with that, but go ahead, i really want to know what makes them a bass)

edit: oh man, i got sigged! (kinda)
Yea that dude with the Piccolo, or what ever it is is sad. I mean just sad. How can he call himself a bassist?
Quote by bxcarracer
Yea that dude with the Piccolo, or what ever it is is sad. I mean just sad. How can he call himself a bassist?

I love playing guitar solos on bass. Does that make me a crap bassist?

Why the hell SHOULDN'T bassists be allowed to extent their repertoire to include lead guitar-like stuff?
Quote by watchingmefall
That first video was just plain awful. And personally I've never liked Anesthesia, just a little meh to me, pretty cool but not as people hype it.

Here is a nice video with a piccolo bass used correctly
.http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mrav_MSMjNs

That was just incredible! Always trust the funk.

A lot of bassists just play bass because everyone else was playing guitar, those people suck and should just play a 3rd guitar or whatever, and get a real bassist in the band.
Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Washburn Acoustic
Jay Turser Bass
Panasonic SX-KC211 Keyboard
BOSS DS-2 Turbo Distortion
BOSS AW-3 Dynamic Wah (Fixed!)
Roland Micro-Cube
Randall RB30XM Bass Amp
Tascam DP-01FX Digital Recorder
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I love playing guitar solos on bass. Does that make me a crap bassist?

Why the hell SHOULDN'T bassists be allowed to extent their repertoire to include lead guitar-like stuff?

I'm not against bassists who play more of a lead role (Steve DiGiorgio is one of, if not my favorite bassist), however, I feel that a bassist, regardless of his/her ability to shred, should at least try to demonstrate the versatility of a bass. Therefore, little to no distortion, some sense of rhythm/groove in their playing (not necessarily all wanking), etc.

I mean, if Joey DeMaio plays bass "normally" most of the time, then whatever. But the thing is that when he's called to play a solo, he plays one like a guitar, then I question his dedication to the bass.

I haven't explained myself very well, but I hope people understand what I mean.
Quote by Hergiswi

+1

He's talented for sure but the solo itself and the distortion annoys me. I find it boring. As for the original video, I didn't like it but at the end of the day, you can play a bass how you like- lead (lol, avant-garde don't you think?) or purely backing.

Meh.
signature
Quote by RickGardiner
That was just incredible! Always trust the funk.

A lot of bassists just play bass because everyone else was playing guitar, those people suck and should just play a 3rd guitar or whatever, and get a real bassist in the band.

This is something I have a major problem with. It simply isn't true. Picking up the bass because "no-one else wanted to play it" does not automatically make you suck.
What the hell does playing bass "bass style" mean anyway? Should bassists only play in the bass register and shouldn't be allowed to use effects? That's bullshit! IMO people who classify playing bass "bass style" and "guitar style" equal the same people who say "a woman's place is in the kitchen".

Now don't get me wrong - Joey DeMaio deserves to be hung and shot. That solo was nothing but noise to me. But god damn it, if a bassist wants to solo then let him solo regardless what notes he plays and effects he uses!
Is Bootsy a bad bassist for being an effect *****?

Is Wooten's 'Amazing Grace bad for being in the high register?

And wht do people call it 'guitar range' anyway? I say guitarists shouldn't play any notes a bassist can also play. It's the same idea, but reversed.

I love playing melodies and chords right up the neck. If you are not very careful, those can sound horrible and muddy in the low end of the spectrum, but sepctacular up high.

But the TS's post takes it to a whole new level. That to me was a guitar with strings missing, insound and appearance.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Burton anyone?
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Quote by Deliriumbassist
This is something I have a major problem with. It simply isn't true. Picking up the bass because "no-one else wanted to play it" does not automatically make you suck.

Totally right.
Dingwall Afterburner I 5 string
Warwick Blue Cab 30 practice amp
Quote by thefitz
But hold on - you're debating on whether or not to buy a bass or keep your house? That's pretty fucking hardcore!
Quote by RickGardiner

That was the one of the main reasons I picked up bass, everyone was playing guitar and I wanted to be different and haven't regretted that decision since the day I made it!

But I guess I suck and I'm not a real bassist so I should just give up now, right?
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by indie-bassist

That was the one of the main reasons I picked up bass, everyone was playing guitar and I wanted to be different and haven't regretted that decision since the day I made it!

But I guess I suck and I'm not a real bassist so I should just give up now, right?

Damn straight, mudblood. Jesus, Rick rumble you good, and probably just culled 90% of the bassist population...

Does it really matter how you play? why is bass always inferior to guitar? I've never understand that mentality that guitar should be the lead instrument - why? because its got six strings?- big massive wow - you shouldnt say that someone should be a guitarist because i couldnt really get the hang of guitar but i had loved bass for years before i tried guitar and then eventually decided to play bass because i wanted to - i swing my bass around, wear it low and dont play typical basslines all the time, i use effects and use a plectrum should i be a guitarist?
^ Yes.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by watchingmefall
Yes, and send me all of your bass gear. I'll take good care of it.

*hands over all his equip...* Hey, wait a minute!

Quote by deliriumbassist
Damn straight, mudblood. Jesus, Rick rumble you good, and probably just culled 90% of the bassist population...

Lol
Quote by Bumper

Quote by indie-bassist

Oooo! ooo! Do I get first dibs on the MIA P Bass?!?
Quote by anarkee
Oooo! ooo! Do I get first dibs on the MIA P Bass?!?

No, I do. You already have a stingray.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by Deliriumbassist
If anything, I should get the P bass. I'm just a poor boy and nobody loves me.

I love you Ben. There now you are loved.

And yes you can have court ordered visitation rights to the P bass.
Wow I never knew a P-Bass would cause such a stir round here!

So Tam has dibs on it, Ben you've got the visitation rights and Jack there's a restraining order on you so you can't be within 3 miles of it .
Quote by Bumper

Yes, there are a lot of failed guitarists and Ibane... um, many bass companies are aware of this and cater to these players. I'm suspecting that bass in the video is a guitar with a 30" scale neck, and I'm willing to bet that's a guitar bridge on that thing. To me, it looked like the bottom string was thickest, too. However, I have a recording of Sting of the Bumblebee or whatever it's called and it is played straight up on bass.

But this whole 'failed guitarist' thing is not black and white. I hate "You used to play guitar, therefore you suck at bass" as much as "play whatever you want, we are all one, nobody is better than anyone else, there are no rules ever, you can say whatever you want as long as it's positive." Folks, there are players that are failed guitarists. There are proper bass players that have a guitarist's streak in them. There are jackasses who only root bash and have never picked upwards in their life. Some guys should be a 3rd guitar, some guys shouldn't. Joe DiMaio and the dude from Dragonforce clearly have their head with guitars. That's what they really want to play.

I think a true bass player knows everything about his gear. He knows everything about the guitar player's gear. He knows everything about the drummer's gear. A bass player listens to the whole band, whereas a guitar player focuses on their own playing - which is fine. The guitar player has a band to hold the fort. When a bass player starts thinking "this is my part, this is what I'm playing, let me run around and headbang and remove the EQ and pickup blend pots from my Ibane... um, bass" he becomes a failed guitarist.

It's strange, though. When a failed guitarist tries to be a bassist but plays like a guitarist, he's giving the actual guitarist all the spotlight - but not in a positive way. It's just that nobody's paying attention to him. If you really want to wow 'em, play like a bassist - play with the band. Trust me, you can wank to your heart's content playing bass-bass-bass. Last night, my guitar player got unplugged during a gig. In a 3-piece, that sounds like death, but I improvised a bollocks solo (nothin' says solo like a '51 Precision with flats) until he got it sorted out, and nobody was the wiser. When you're playing like a guitarist, someone's going to say "uh, where'd the song go?"
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by Deliriumbassist

because it's too avante-garde for us to understand

i just had to say that
i thought i had magic fingers once, and had uncovered the fountain of love.

turns out my girlfriend was just peeing on me.
Page 1 of 2