I'm thinking of buying a Les Paul studio and fitting burstbuckers into it.
is there any other options i can consider for around the £1300 mark

I play:
Led Zep
AC/DC
Black Sabbath
GnR
Hendrix
and some Rolling Stones

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current Setup

Gibson 2005 SG
Marshall AVT100
Dunlop CryBaby
Ibanez TS7 Tubescreamer
Yamaha Pacific 112
Epiphone Elitist Les Pauls I hear are pretty good, they're supposedly up to Gibson standard, also you get the nice looks. (never played one though...)

If not though, the Studio with a pickup change is also good, make sure to try out the guitar and find one that plays well.

Other than that the Les Paul should get those sounds very well. SO long as it's got the thick Mahogany body and the humbuckers.

Edit: My guitar teacher got a Les Paul Vintage Mahogany for around $700, he really likes it and it's got stock burstbuckers. Just lacks the maple top but other than that seems quite good for the price if you don't care for cosmetics.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Vintage-Mahogany-Electric-Guitar?sku=517536
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Nov 17, 2007,
with 1300 pounds which I'm guessing is about 2500$, you could go for a Les Paul Standard, or maybe Custom. You also wouldn't need a pickup change prob.
Seeing as you already have a nice guitar, why dont you spend that money and get yourself a real Marshall half stack and sound even more like the guys you listen to?
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
If i was going to get a half decent half stack i was considering a jcm 800-900d. i tried one out and it blew my mind. is there anything which is better than that for around the same price?

i was considering a LP cause i've been told its the guitar which changes the tone not the amp. have i just been fed Bull****?
Quote by SG thrasher
Get a custom, NOT an LP custom, a straight up Custom made, to your specs, guitar.

+1

alternatively, seeing as how you have a marshall avt, I'd get an edwards (from ishibashi, for example), which should come to around the £500 mark. It's as nice as most standard-range gibsons I've tried, and comes stock with duncans.

Then put £800 towards a kick-ass, tube, amp.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Mrtomtwo
i was considering a LP cause i've been told its the guitar which changes the tone not the amp. have i just been fed Bull****?

you have been fed an unbelievable amount of BS.

Granted the guitar will change the tone- obviously a strat will sound different to a tele, to a les paul. But plug into a fender twin and then plug into a vox ac30, and then into a mesa recto, and tell me the amp doesn't change the tone.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Mrtomtwo
If i was going to get a half decent half stack i was considering a jcm 800-900d. i tried one out and it blew my mind. is there anything which is better than that for around the same price?

Pretty much, the only time i would take a new guitar over a new amp would be if the guitar was absolute shit, which yours is not.

You could get yourself a Plexi RI with that kind of money, but be aware, it will be LOUD.

But with that much money, you have some nice options for boutique Marshall clones.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Quote by igotabcrich32
But with that much money, you have some nice options for boutique Marshall clones.

yeah, that's probably what i'd go with, or else something with a more fendery clean channel (for stonesy stuff) and a more marshally od channel. Koch, perhaps. Though you have a bunch of options.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i've been playin for 5 years but unfortunatly all my bands seem to just disintergrate is there anypoint in getting a half stack for bedroom use and occasional gigs.

Would it be useful to look at second hand amps or should i go straight to the dealer?
depends what you're looking at. you can only get vintage marshalls second hand, lol.

It's pretty much a personal thing as to whether you want to go second hand or new- a bunch of the well-informed guys here say you should always go second hand, as you get more bang for the buck. This is true- as long as you don't get some cheapo who is selling his amp because it's broken and hopes you don't notice before you give him your money.

It's like the difference between putting your money in the bank, or investing in shares. There are more possible gains with second-hand, but also more risks. Up to you.

you don't have to get a stack, there are plenty of expensive combos too. or you could get a head and 2x12 cab, if the amp you're looking at only comes in head form.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?