Poll: Golden Compass - yay or nay?
Poll Options
View poll results: Golden Compass - yay or nay?
Looks great, can't wait
5 20%
Looks terrible
20 80%
Voters: 25.
I just watched the trailer for The Golden Compass (based on Northern Lights by Philip Pullman), and to be honest, I think it's going to be terrible.

They've sucked out all the religion (just so they don't offend anyone) and turned it into clichéd Hollywood CGI crap. I'm thinking of Transformers here. The book series is one of my favourites, and I'd hate to see it wrecked.

Anyone else agree?
I think its most probable that they ruin it. Even though the books are awesome
i love the books, but without the religious themes (which are the whole point of the books) it'll just be another generic children's fantasy. it'll be just be cheesy and have no real meaning
If I read a book, I always go and watch the film for comparison, so I will probably drag myself down to the cinema some weekend.

I have no life.
Quote by FunDunn
i love the books, but without the religious themes (which are the whole point of the books) it'll just be another generic children's fantasy. it'll be just be cheesy and have no real meaning

Typed the words right off my fingers.
PSN: Shibuib
Steam: Drag_on88rr@hotmail.com
add me

Elvis Presley aint got no soul, Chuck Berry is rock and roll.

日本語をシグに入れるのは馬鹿やキザ野郎のする事だぜ。
The novels were for teens, but they were so well written. Fantastic stuff.

However, Golden Compass looks shabby, too hollywood, too overdone, and due to the competition from other films it won't reach it's most likely little potentional anyway.

Still gonna give it a shot mind.

EDIT: Abolustely garan that they will suck out a lot of the story if they make the second and third ones so little kids can understand it better. This sounds like a recipe for disaster.
i never read the books but the movie looks pretty cool.
Quote by NGD1313
I cen lyk spel reel gud. I came n 2nd n da spelling b, sum dumb 4en kid beet meh.
Never read the books, but the movie looks like it will be good for the < 12s, and pish for everyone else.
Quote by Craigo
Damn yourself for reading them and enjoying them.

^ to the eragon guy

no way i liked the books too, thought it was damned cool, but the movie looked ****
We don't know just how much of the religion element they've taken out, it could still be okay. I loved the books, and will see the movie, but I wish they could have called it by the original British name >_>
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Quote by Dinkydaisy
We don't know just how much of the religion element they've taken out, it could still be okay. I loved the books, and will see the movie, but I wish they could have called it by the original British name >_>

All of it.
Quote by Craigo
All of it.

D:

I knew they had taken out a lot... oh well.

I suppose it has Daniel Craig in it. I always expected Pan to not sound like a pre-teen boy though.

-Matthew Arnold

Quote by Dinkydaisy
D:

I knew they had taken out a lot... oh well.

I suppose it has Daniel Craig in it. I always expected Pan to not sound like a pre-teen boy though.

Daniel Craig is a fantastic actor. The whole set up is class, I just hope it shows out.

Also, Lyra's Oxford was NOT what I imagined.
Quote by Craigo
Daniel Craig is a fantastic actor. The whole set up is class, I just hope it shows out.

Also, Lyra's Oxford was NOT what I imagined.

Maybe the rest of the movie will make up for it. I suspect we'll all bitch and moan about it though.

-Matthew Arnold

I loved the books, but the movie is going to flop hard. It comes out in less than a month and they are barely pushing it, and, considering it has LotR money tied up into it, there must be something seriously wrong about it.
Yeah, with the religion taken out it would suck, if it wasn't for the one redeeming feature it has...